Astonishing Member

Default Hickman planned on the taking the whole x line digital

20210809_161406.jpg

Borrowed this from Twitter.

Basically with the pandemic Hickman planed to make the xmen digital only. This was canned due to the market comming back. But what if it continued ? How would the xmen look in a digital first age ? Would plots be moving along faster ? Would we get more experimental teams ?

During the toughest moments of the lockdown, it does not seem unreasonable that the idea of going digital was raised. I think a change in the distribution model is necessary for comics today, when in cinema, series and video games there are so many subscriptions with day 1 content.

One has to plan for various contingencies that interrupt businesses in order to preserve ones business. A hard lock down could have easily lasted another month in which case going digital would have been the right call.

Mighty Member

I feel like you need the actual comics. Part of the reason comics are so cultural is the collectors market. Unless he was planning to enter into the NFT market?

I definitely think digital is going to be a good portion of the sales I wonder if there’s something else between paper and digital. I feel like holding the comic is so different than the digital. I think you have to update comics. We still make comics the same now as in the 20s. We need to change it up a bit

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I feel like you need the actual comics. Part of the reason comics are so cultural is the collectors market. Unless he was planning to enter into the NFT market?

I definitely think digital is going to be a good portion of the sales I wonder if there’s something else between paper and digital. I feel like holding the comic is so different than the digital. I think you have to update comics. We still make comics the same now as in the 20s. We need to change it up a bit
    The simple answer, expand where you sell comics.
    Books have lasted hundreds of years, comics are really a variation of such.
    Sell comics in book stores And Movie theatres. Strike up a real where the theatres hold a small section selling Marvel And DC.
    Amazon could also sell comics. If comicsology offered a premium subscription service of digital And physical, i can see People using it. Especially if they were to sell their leftover comic elsewhere.
    The future should see digital And print Working together, not against each other.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The simple answer, expand where you sell comics.
    Books have lasted hundreds of years, comics are really a variation of such.
    Sell comics in book stores And Movie theatres. Strike up a real where the theatres hold a small section selling Marvel And DC.
    Amazon could also sell comics. If comicsology offered a premium subscription service of digital And physical, i can see People using it. Especially if they were to sell their leftover comic elsewhere.
    The future should see digital And print Working together, not against each other.
    Agreed. It used to be you could pick up comics in a grocery store, or drug store or even a book store, and now it's just comic shops. And physical books seem to be coming back in some ways, see the whole number of young people in France buying a lot of manga after they got money from the government to spend. I'm pretty sure you're right if you put comics in the eyes of people and it's cool to be seen reading comics now, so use that to push the sales of both.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Agreed. It used to be you could pick up comics in a grocery store, or drug store or even a book store, and now it's just comic shops. And physical books seem to be coming back in some ways, see the whole number of young people in France buying a lot of manga after they got money from the government to spend. I'm pretty sure you're right if you put comics in the eyes of people and it's cool to be seen reading comics now, so use that to push the sales of both.
    The simple answer is The comic industry is grouchy.
    It's doing well enough that it doesn't seem to want to change.
    I think the best place to look at how the industry is doing is by looking at bad idea comics.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was an experiment to prove that the industry was in trouble. Yet their books sold with no marketing, limited quantaties and being sold in select shops.
    Bad idea turned out to be a success story.
    But the industry can do better.
    If say Spider-man, a title that sells well And is a popular character sells 40 copies inside a bookshop, realistically, 10-15 of the People Who bought that comic would continue buying the title. Around 5 would go to a comic shop And buy it And also buy more.

Comic fans want to go into comic shops And buy their comics. And you will sell more titles in doing so.
    Bad idea was an experiment that comics are doing well, but it can't hold the current fanbase forever.

Currently we're seeing a kind of second speculator boom, And it proved to be near fatal the last time. Comics need to stop appealing to the collector's market And open themselves up to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post

Isn't the 20s the current decade? If you mean the 1920s, that's wrong, as modern comic books only started in the 1930s. Before then, they were all either newspaper strip reprints, or were prose with illustrations (penny dreadfuls or pulp fiction magazines), not multiple pages of panels with speech balloons.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman