Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default X-Corp #3 Review: Grab her by the brain?

This was an interesting issue.

Madrox gets what feels like a whole new bio where he has a genius mind and was found as at a young age by xavier and helped the likes of Xavier and Reed reach the heights of scientific success with his duplication powers and genus. He runs his entire lab himself from the production line to the idea line and has an entire work flow. I mean i don't know where he found time to be a detective or for x-factor but ok. He and laya are still together and they basically come off as the quintessential suburban couple where hubby works too much and can't make it home to see baby take his first steps. In a very what feels like a i don't think i can use the word here, but when you send a man to live important moments with your wife type of moment sends a dupe to go ahead, well the dupe volunteers to go home, evidently by the end of the story that dupe did so jamie never got the memories to which he says "i hate losing data."

I like this jamie, i really think he is interesting but this is a brand new character.

Monet, Angel and co are at the technology talks and here monet shows a bit of empathy for one of the employees showing that when angel or someone else gets to be the heavy monet can be the sincere one. Monet, Sophia, Trinanry go to a woman's group and all the way Monet is basically talking about the state of the male dominated business and makes some amazing points on the structure and how women are often not given the same power. Then monet has a conversation with Ms. St John, the woman who took the meeting with fenris. And in one of the most modern moments of hypocrisy i have seen in comics monet says that mutants do business clean and has a problem with St.John having talked to fenris who she said she only did because they said they had the same access to mutant tech that any mutant did. Which makes complete sense.

Here is where things go left for me. Monet completely and utterly violates St.John by forcibly trying to extract information from her mind which deservedly got her turned into penance against her will as St. John had on psy tech. Sophia and co get worried at a psychic back lash and go looking for monet. She is basically in the bathroom in her penance form threatening Ms. St John and is told about a drug they have been working on because "not all mutants are proud to be mutants" and though right now it's experimental and can cause paralysis she injects monet which it. Which personally i think monet deserved. When the eventually reach her area monet has flown off.

Other things
    Bishop, neal (thunderbird), Sunspot, and vulcan are a conduit producing enough ionosphere energy to destroy a planet. The intent is to power Madrox project launch but due to monet's "grab her by the brain moment" St. John retaliated and the launch failed on live tv.

Monet came off as a straight predator in this for me and if word gets out on how she conducts business, she is a liability.

Oh forgot i would give it a solid 7/10.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-14-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Is the implication that Layla is still living on the farm? It didn't feel like she was on Krakoa. And I suppose this is up to character interpretation or plot convenience, but I've always felt Layla is sharp enough to tell the difference between Jamie Prime and a dupe.

Monet's choices were certainly odd. Wouldn't it be more satisfying to win by beating them at their own game, instead of just brute forcing your way through them? Not a lot of finesse to her plan.

With each issue I feel more and more that Monet is gonna have a major fall. I appreciate her dedication to the cause but what she did here was a big mistake.

I loved the idea of Krakoa getting into telecommunications and using a mutant circuit of these lads to power it.

Unfortunately everything went to s***!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Im enjoying this book which is a shocker given my opinions on Howard this era.

Why was Bishop included in the energy feat from today? He doesnt generate energy. His inclusion doesnt make sense as his powers would work by absorbing all the energy that the other 3 men generated and rechanneling it. His net contribution would be nothing though

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Is the implication that Layla is still living on the farm? It didn't feel like she was on Krakoa. And I suppose this is up to character interpretation or plot convenience, but I've always felt Layla is sharp enough to tell the difference between Jamie Prime and a dupe.

Monet's choices were certainly odd. Wouldn't it be more satisfying to win by beating them at their own game, instead of just brute forcing your way through them? Not a lot of finesse to her plan.
    I was thinking the same thing but it wasn't made clear. It seemed like the farm to me too because the background.

Monet was a hot mess in this. She violated every principle of me too after giving a whole speech on women being treated as less. It was really kind of shocking. Like how serious can i take what you just said, even though i know how serious it is, when you basically, no literally violated a human woman because you were in a position of power. I don't see how monet isn't going down for this.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im enjoying this book which is a shocker given my opinions on Howard this era.

Why was Bishop included in the energy feat from today? He doesnt generate energy. His inclusion doesnt make sense as his powers would work by absorbing all the energy that the other 3 men generated and rechanneling it. His net contribution would be nothing though
    He could have potnetially been helping Vulcan absorb the access energy but unlike vulcan bishop would be able to rechannel it right back into the machine so it would be a net increase.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but it wasn't made clear. It seemed like the farm to me too because the background.

Monet was a hot mess in this. She violated every principle of me too after giving a whole speech on women being treated as less. It was really kind of shocking. Like how serious can i take what you just said, even though i know how serious it is, when you basically, no literally violated a human woman because you were in a position of power. I don't see how monet isn't going down for this.
    I was actually hoping after the first issue that we'd find out Layla hadn't even bothered moving to the island. The idea that she'd choose life on the farm with Davey over "paradise" amused me. Or maybe she knows something.

A lot of M's decisions so far in this series have felt like they've come down to just assuming what she's doing is correct (because she's Monet) and then dealing with the consequences later, or just ignoring them.

I know I’ve said this a few times before, but Monet screwed her own self and fell hard on her a$$. She was doing good in the beginning, yet she fell hard trying to get dirt from St. John’s mind violating this woman’s privacy. Her narcissistic ways brought everyone else down who didn’t deserve just because she doesn’t want to restrain herself. Trinary and Sophia didn’t deserve to have their marketing work ruined because of Monet.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    I know I’ve said this a few times before, but Monet screwed her own self and fell hard on her a$$. She was doing good in the beginning, yet she fell hard trying to get dirt from St. John’s mind violating this woman’s privacy. Her narcissistic ways brought everyone else down who didn’t deserve just because she doesn’t want to restrain herself. Trinary and Sophia didn’t deserve to have their marketing work ruined because of Monet.
    Facts. Pure Facts.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Amazing Member

Everyone using Fenris and Cortez as punching bags is so funny because Selene, Sinister, Exodus, Mystique and Frenzy have done way worse and they’re all in positions of power. Like, what is going on?! I really wish they’d have someone address that. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    Everyone using Fenris and Cortez as punching bags is so funny because Selene, Sinister, Exodus, Mystique and Frenzy have done way worse and they’re all in positions of power. Like, what is going on?! I really wish they’d have someone address that. ��
    Cortez is in a position of power too. I wouldnt say Frenzy has done way worse than him. They are comparable. Id actually say he's done worse as she's always been a lackey where as he's been in charge running sh-t in the past

Monet need to learn from Selene about subterfuge and subtlety when it comes to getting what you want. Cause I would have fought Monet when I found out all my hard work and money invested in the company went to waist cause of her. Would have lost the fight, but I would have made my stance known.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Really enjoyed this issue -- probably my favorite yet. I'm enjoying the little cast that's being built around our major players, and it's still fun seeing Monet get so much of the spotlight.

As someone who's been a fan of Madrox since the PAD miniseries, I'm curious about his current status -- he seems obsessed with his work -- including how he feels about Layla Miller, whether Layla is going to play a role in the plot, and if the Rosenberg(?) miniseries will be touched upon at all.

I certainly don't mind writers wanting to take a character in a different direction, but I hope that whatever happens with Jamie makes sense in the larger context of who he is and what his past stories have dictated.

Even if it IS a different take, I do like it. It seems like a realistic thing Jamie would want to do with his powers. I just hope the gumshoe personality isn't gone forever.

-Pav, who enjoyed all the new comics he read today...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    This is pretty spot on. Monet screwed herself and her team today trying to lower herself to the competition. I don’t know what I expected from this series but I’m not really liking what we’ve gotten so far.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Really enjoyed this issue -- probably my favorite yet. I'm enjoying the little cast that's being built around our major players, and it's still fun seeing Monet get so much of the spotlight.

As someone who's been a fan of Madrox since the PAD miniseries, I'm curious about his current status -- he seems obsessed with his work -- including how he feels about Layla Miller, whether Layla is going to play a role in the plot, and if the Rosenberg(?) miniseries will be touched upon at all.

I certainly don't mind writers wanting to take a character in a different direction, but I hope that whatever happens with Jamie makes sense in the larger context of who he is and what his past stories have dictated.

Even if it IS a different take, I do like it. It seems like a realistic thing Jamie would want to do with his powers. I just hope the gumshoe personality isn't gone forever.

-Pav, who enjoyed all the new comics he read today...
    I liked how they showed Jamie's weekly schedule, how he handles the dupes, etc.
    His role is important to Krakoa especially as they try to expand their businesses.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!