Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are there too many writers in the X-Stable?

Hey there all. Just wanted to see what everyones opinions on this subject.

Obviously the writers have been doing a great job staying cohesive.

Jonathan Hickman (Inferno)
    Al Ewing (SWORD)
    Zeb Wells (Hellions)
    Gerry Duggan (X-Men/Maruaders)
    Leah Willams (Trial of Magneto)
    Si Spurrier (Way of X)
    Vita Ayala (New Mutants)
    Tini Howard (Excalibur/X-Corp)
    Ben Percy (X-Force/Wolverine)

If I'm blanking out and missing someone. My bad.

They've teased a lot happening in the second half of the year.

I hope they continue to keep the books streamlined and cohesive.

I really think other writers should be given the option to write multiple X-Men series.

Al Ewing and Zeb Wells are just doing awesome in their respective series.

Ewing and Wells definitely should be on a second book. IMO overall they have been the best and most consistent writers of this era. I know Ewing may be tied up with GOTG and the upcoming Venom and Wells is taking on Amazing Spider-Man but I would love to have either on multiple X-Books. Those would be instant buys and in Wells case at least the cast wouldn't even matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Hey there all. Just wanted to see what everyones opinions on this subject.

Obviously the writers have been doing a great job staying cohesive.

Jonathan Hickman (Inferno)
    Al Ewing (SWORD)
    Zeb Wells (Hellions)
    Gerry Duggan (X-Men/Maruaders)
    Leah Willams (Trial of Magneto)
    Si Spurrier (Way of X)
    Vita Ayala (New Mutants)
    Tini Howard (Excalibur/X-Corp)
    Ben Percy (X-Force/Wolverine)

If I'm blanking out and missing someone. My bad.

They've teased a lot happening in the second half of the year.

I hope they continue to keep the books streamlined and cohesive.

I really think other writers should be given the option to write multiple X-Men series.

Al Ewing and Zeb Wells are just doing awesome in their respective series.
    Ayala also writes Children of the Atom.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes & of them I feel we only need 6.

I wish Hickman, Ewing, and Wells had second books. But overall I'm pleased with the writers. Tini and Percy I could do without, however.

I like them all but I wish Hickman would write more. Percy and Duggan are both great imho, although Percy needs to wrap up his stories faster. Howard seems to have really gotten Excalibur going but X-Corp is pretty bad. Ewing and Wells are killing it. Williams was the weakest on X-Factor but I'm hoping Trial of Magneto will be better. Vita has been serviceable on New Mutants and Spurrier the same on Way of X. I don't think we need to lose any of them but I don't think we need to add any more either.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Yes & of them I feel we only need 6.
    This is exactly what i was going to say with 2 books each and roating but when i saw the number of writers there i could really only think of wanting to cut one. lol i don't count hickman cause he is director/headwriter imo.

I think it's more than okay for Percy to do a Excalibur arc or Zeb wells doing an X-force so on etc. I mean if they wanted to. Would be kind of cool to see the main writers maybe switch books next year but not lose them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member

Yes, but it's okay, as the market will sort that out. I only consistently buy the writers I think will do a good job.

I do believe that X-editorial decided to pad out this era to sell more comics, which has caused Hickman's story to run in place for awhile now. Inferno will change that apparently.

Mighty Member

I would say not enough. I feel Vita especially gets tons of work and I hear about Vita on so many books. So much that there is someone who helps when Vita is unavailable. I say lets get more voices. Not less

I wouldn't say too many writers, but the office needs to figure out a better way to keep the momentum going. Many of the launch titles end up pretty static and then the newer more innovative titles are under constant threat of cancellation. Honestly get some of these writers on an anthology series, cause what's happening now doesn't seem too sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I wouldn't say too many writers, but the office needs to figure out a better way to keep the momentum going. Many of the launch titles end up pretty static and then the newer more innovative titles are under constant threat of cancellation. Honestly get some of these writers on an anthology series, cause what's happening now doesn't seem too sustainable.
    I agree with this. I don't think there's too many writers but perhaps some switching up of titles is needed. Which we may see after Inferno.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ayala also writes Children of the Atom.
    Yeah. Cable and CotA are ending so I didn’t add them.

Way to many titles, this is where the House of X goes wrong.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I fully admit i could be looking at it wrong but i just see it as Hickman being the show runner and like JDW being the producer/editor when it comes to the current era so in that sense i kind of go into every book with a little bit of extra trust because i believe they aren't bringing someone in that isn't going to develop their vision in opposition to what it is, despite if i might like the ending or not. That is one of the things i like most about this era and akin it to the consistency of manga that makes it successful because it is only one theoretical creator in the hen. I guess that is just how i think of canon in that i'm able to let a writer set their own perimeters and there might be things i don't like but its not about me i appreciate a clear voice and and more than cool jumping off what i don't like. So i guess i do feel more i don't know connected to these writers in the sense that the continunity of this feels like one rather than in the past where you had one writer doing xmen gold and another killing all mutants in uncanny.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quiet King 2 Regent Ororo RealEyesRealizeRealLies77's Avatar

I don't think there are too many writer's but I do think the pedigree of the writer's need to be kept up to par.Any writer on a current X-book needs to be able to juggle a team cast whether the members are their favorite or they're editorially mandated & tell a story in one arc & wrap it up when longevity isn't guaranteed.When you're 20 issues in and still have members that haven't contributed anything to the team or had any kind of characterization had or can't seem to wrap up any threads before adding new ones then either they need to work on their craft a lil more or editor's need to start being held accountable for not keeping them on task or focused on a mission statement/objective.Tini, Percy & Duggan all could have benefitted from an editor stepping in now & again.I have been fine with Hickman,Ewing,Wells and Ayala's books and OK on Leah's X-Factor but she could of used some over sight as well but at least she utilized the whole team & had some interesting dynamics.Duggan seems to have improved on Planet Sized & X-Men though so credit given when due.Happy overall but improvement is needed.
    Last edited by RealEyesRealizeRealLies77; 07-16-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    The Pessimist looks down and hits his head
    The Optimist looks up and loses his footing
    The Realist looks forward and adjusts his path accordingly

Pull List : X-MEN , IMMORTAL X-MEN , NEW MUTANTS , X-MEN RED , WOLVERINE, THOR ,ETERNALS , BLACK PANTHER , EXCELLENCE , KILLADELPHIA , NOCTERRA ,THE NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE , LITTLE MONSTERS , BONEYARD ORCHARD , NIGHTMARE BLOG , SEVEN SONS