Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I would very much enjoy a Life of Reilly-esque oral history of this time period (especially if everyone was candid) before the Clone Saga - I don't think anyone really had their heart in Maximum Carnage, and I would love to hear what Michelinie really intended with the parents (it's hard to imagine his plan all along was to reveal them as robots and then leave the book). I can imagine that with Death of Superman in full swing, Image selling well, etc., etc., that there was a lot of pressure going on even before the Clone Saga was formulated
    Absolutely agree! I would very much like to re-experience that period!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I would very much enjoy a Life of Reilly-esque oral history of this time period (especially if everyone was candid) before the Clone Saga - I don't think anyone really had their heart in Maximum Carnage, and I would love to hear what Michelinie really intended with the parents (it's hard to imagine his plan all along was to reveal them as robots and then leave the book). I can imagine that with Death of Superman in full swing, Image selling well, etc., etc., that there was a lot of pressure going on even before the Clone Saga was formulated
    Problem is that ‘Life of Reilly’ came out 4 or 5 years after the clone saga ended, so the memories were still fresh in everyone’s minds. It’s been almost 30 years since the Michelinie era ended (that’s depressing to say out loud), so the accounts won’t be as sharp and might not be totally reliable. FWIW, I do remember reading once that the original intention was for the parents to be real. I forget what the reasoning was for changing that, but I think it was an editorial demand (as all bad creative decisions are). Remember Richard and Mary would have private conversations with each other about Peter and I think they even had thought bubbles. They only started seeming sinister and secretive in private around ‘Life Theft.’
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 07-17-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Problem is that ‘Life of Reilly’ came out 4 or 5 years after the clone saga ended, so the memories were still fresh in everyone’s minds. It’s been almost 30 years since the Michelinie era ended (that’s depressing to say out loud), so the accounts won’t be as sharp and might not be totally reliable. FWIW, I do remember reading once that the original intention was for the parents to be real. I forget what the reasoning was for changing that, but I think it was an editorial demand (as all bad creative decisions are). Remember Richard and Mary would have private conversations with each other about Peter and I think they even had thought bubbles. They only started seeming sinister and secretive in private around ‘Life Theft.’
    https://www.amazon.com/Comics-Creato...6607409&sr=8-4

Michelinie talked about his run in the 2004 book of interviews ny Tom Defalco. It’s been a few years since I read it, but I believe he said he never had a plan for the parents sub plot. It was a story point that came from his editors.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Comics-Creato...6607409&sr=8-4

Michelinie talked about his run in the 2004 book of interviews ny Tom Defalco. It’s been a few years since I read it, but I believe he said he never had a plan for the parents sub plot. It was a story point that came from his editors.
    At least that clears up how involved JMD was in it. Seems he just made the best of it.

In saying that, if it was editorial, I wonder if they initially intended on them being real or if they shifted gears later on to have them as imposters. HypnoHustler does raise a good point in that, up until just before/during 'Life Theft' is when the parents suddenly started becoming sinister. They were pretty much written/depicted as being the real thing. If the intent was for them to be imposters from the get go, surely there would have been more hints or clues (although I remember May was incredibly suspicious of them).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    At least that clears up how involved JMD was in it. Seems he just made the best of it.

In saying that, if it was editorial, I wonder if they initially intended on them being real or if they shifted gears later on to have them as imposters. HypnoHustler does raise a good point in that, up until just before/during 'Life Theft' is when the parents suddenly started becoming sinister. They were pretty much written/depicted as being the real thing. If the intent was for them to be imposters from the get go, surely there would have been more hints or clues (although I remember May was incredibly suspicious of them).

Yeah. OTOH if I’m playing devil’s advocate with myself there was that back-up story by JM DeMatteis in one of the ‘Invasion of the Spider-Slayer’ issues of ASM (think it’s late ‘92) where Liz visits Harry in the vault and tells him Peter’s parents are back and once she’s gone Harry maniacally laughs and says “poor Peter”… so that could be foreshadowing by JM… who knows. It’s interesting that came out near the beginning of the parents returning almost a year and a half before ‘Pursuit.’

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. OTOH if I’m playing devil’s advocate with myself there was that back-up story by JM DeMatteis in one of the ‘Invasion of the Spider-Slayer’ issues of ASM (think it’s late ‘92) where Liz visits Harry in the vault and tells him Peter’s parents are back and once she’s gone Harry maniacally laughs and says “poor Peter”… so that could be foreshadowing by JM… who knows. It’s interesting that came out near the beginning of the parents returning almost a year and a half before ‘Pursuit.’
    We need to get in touch with JMD and ask him about that

well, I did ask JMD (on Facebook) about his involvement in the parents storyline, and as he remembers it, he had no involvement in the development of the storyline itself,
    and minimal (if any) involvement in the decision to make Harry the mastermind..

TBH, while JMD made the most of this storyline, tying into his own Harry Osborn saga (and IMO inverting the Peter-Harry dynamic from his SSM run),
    knowing it wasn't his own intent makes me look at ASM 389-390 and SSM Annual 14 a little differently.

Astonishing Member

That’s cool that you talked to him. I don’t really see him writing these days; I don’t know whether that’s his choice, or if Marvel has forgotten about him for the New Shiny Thing they’re always chasing… but whatever the reason, I wish he’d get another crack at Spidey.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The Child Within from SSM is one of my favourite Green Goblin stories and I find it so strange that it is never collected with SSM #200 (e.g. Son of the Goblin tpb). It's excellently layered and builds to an emotional conclusion.

It's not quite up there with Kraven's Last Hunt but coupled with SSM #200 I think it's an essential read from Spider-Man's history.

Light the Night, an Electro story from (adjective-less) Spider-man was really good, too.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The Child Within from SSM is one of my favourite Green Goblin stories and I find it so strange that it is never collected with SSM #200 (e.g. Son of the Goblin tpb). It's excellently layered and builds to an emotional conclusion.

It's not quite up there with Kraven's Last Hunt but coupled with SSM #200 I think it's an essential read from Spider-Man's history.

Light the Night, an Electro story from (adjective-less) Spider-man was really good, too.
    Agreed about Light The Night. Probably the single best Electro story for me. Dude comes up with a plan to prove to New York he is a legit threat and stuffs it up to the point he needs to be saved by Peter. Thereby cementing himself as a failure. The very thing he wanted to escape.

do we think jmd's back hurts from carrying this character for a decade+
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate