Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default The many Gods of Wonder Woman General Discussion

The (Greek) Gods are some of WWs longest supporting characters and important to her overall mythology. The Gods have also had A LOT of incarnations throughout her publication history.

General thoughts on how they are handled in WW? Should they play bigger roles throughout the DC universe? Favorite version of them?

Historia will probably make up most of my favorite designs for them but these are some personal favorites I've liked over the years.

The big 3 for me will always be Athena, Ares, and Aphrodite each one representing politics, war, and love(sex). Those are core themes that Diana explores and they are probably the most important concepts in all of history, I mean name me one person in which politics, war, or love don't play a major role in their life. So I don't think you can write a 5 star, 10/10, S+ Wonder Woman story without these 3 gods playing some factor in it. Be it an origin story or anything else. They certainly shouldn't be the only gods that are shown, but they should have the most significance and development as characters. Ares more so due to his "main villain" role along with Circe and Cheetah, and as Diana's grandfather via being Hippolyta's dad which I think under the right writer would be an interesting dynamic.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I would also LOVE IT if the Gods would stop being canon fodder for once.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I liked how they were portrayed from what little we saw of them in Earth 2, Mercury seemed cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I liked how they were portrayed from what little we saw of them in Earth 2, Mercury seemed cool.
    What book is this from, please?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    What book is this from, please?
    Worlds Finest #28

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Worlds Finest #28
    Thank you.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Yeah, Historia is probably going to have the best Greek God designs ever conceived if they are all portrayed at the same quality and detail as Hera.

I think DC has gotten to reliant on them at times for Wonder Woman's world-building, but I think I speak manly on the New 52 run since they where very prevalent then.

I like the Golden Age depiction (which was admittingly more Roman than Greek in conception and execution) where they where more ghostly and less physical. It sort of made them entities that enhanced humanities natural emotions instead of something that could be physically beaten. I wouldn't mind such solutions being interchangeable though.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Blue Ares is iconic, Blond Ares is hot, and Prisoner Ares is super hot.
    Old Man War is not bad, it's a different concept, but once people pointed out it's Azzarello I can't unsee it ^^

Serpentor Deimos is a favorite.
    I also like Dogs of War Phobos and Deimos. I just dislike their Weasley twins human form. Just... stay as cool doggos.

Classic bearded merman Poseidon is classic. The helmeted human form is great too. I also like the giant Cthulhu Walrus Whale. I don't like Candlehead Hades, but classic Perez Hades is a bit boring by comparison. I like black Apollo. Strife is not my favorite but it's an iconic look. Cliff Chiang's design are all good. I also like Moon Artemis and her naked deer antler form.

I REALLY like Azzarello's Hera. More personality than looks, because the naked under a cloak of peacock feather is kinda eh, but I do like the hair bun and the wraparound fabric. Anyway I like her because she's the bitchy wine aunt... who ended up bored with wine because that's all she drank.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-15-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Aphrodite and Athena.jpg

Aphrodite.JPG

Aphrodite definitely exudes a lot more power just from her design here vs the Perez one. The star-like quality to her "aura" makes me think they are going to be drawing inspiration from her Aphrodite Urania incarnation, where she governs over "spiritual love" and the heavens, while Aphrodite Pandemos governs over physical love and is more Earthly. Urania was also the version of Aphrodite that had an equivalent goddess in the Scythinan pantheon.

Artemis.JPG

Artemis is interesting in that of course our protagonist is named after her Roman counterpart, and in myth she was the only goddess I believe that was on good terms with the Amazons. Otrera built a temple to her, but interestingly it doesn't seem the Scythians had a counterpart for her. I think of the Amazon patrons, she should form a triad with Athena and Aphrodite in the modern day, but maybe is the lesser of the three. For Golden Age tradition I'd rather Athena and Aphrodite be the dominant Amazon patrons, with maybe Rucka's explanation for why they are more powerful than other Olympians save Ares being the reason why. But Artemis would still be important, and it'd be kind of neat to divide the patron goddesses into two groups: the younger three who have leveled up and hold more sway in the modern day (Aphrodite, Athena and Artemis) and the elder three who don't pack the punch they used to but are still venerated and vitally important for the Amazons in their early days (Hera, Demeter and Hestia).
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-15-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Can someone walk me through which godesses are which in these pics?

I know the Middle one is Hera

Lower right is Hestia

Not sure who the other 5 are, I know they are suposssed to be Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, Demeter and...not sure who the last one is...

-I'm gonna guess top left is Aphrodite

-Top middle is Artemis

-Bottom left is Athena

-Bottom middle is Demeter
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Can someone walk me through which godesses are which in these pics?

I know the Middle one is Hera

Lower right is Hestia

Not sure who the other 5 are, I know they are suposssed to be Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, Demeter and...not sure who the last one is...

-I'm gonna guess top left is Aphrodite

-Top middle is Artemis

-Bottom left is Athena

-Bottom middle is Demeter
    Top left is Artemis, top right is Athena, middle is Hera, bottom left is Demeter, bottom middle is Aphrodite and Hestia is on the right.

I'm not sure who top middle is, but I'm guessing it is Persephone. Jimenez said there were 14 gods and confirmed Hades will be in it, so I think she is the most likely candidate.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't have a favorite Aphrodite yet. My definitive Aphrodite in general is Alexandra Tydings in Hercules and Xena, and basically I just want that always ^^

Zeus... basically when I think of Zeus it's always Perez version. Classic bearded old man with white cloud hair. The dreads are not doing it for me, and even though Zeus has been depicted younger with dark brown hair even in renaissance paintings, I always have to imagine him with white cloud hair. At the darkest it should be grey like lightning cloud.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-15-2021 at 07:53 PM.