Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Mythologically arcuate Hippolyta should also be missing her right boob, but no one complains about that oversight...
    That's a long propagated falsehood. A mistranslation of "Amazon" to " one breasted" vs more correct translation ( warrior)

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Amazon

This was fed by the Greeks' villainizing ,"the other".

Obviously the Amazons would have to be more like men if they were such able warriors. And clearly they would hate themselves as women do much as to mutilate themselves.

There's no ancient depiction of the Amazons that shows them as so mutilated. And it doesn't do anything to improve one's ability to use a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Any general thoughts on this "origin" for the Earth Gods?
    The DC universe is inherently surreal and supernatural.

To me the Neil Gaiman American Gods are the general idea of how I would look at magic itself and magical entities/ beings.

But it doesn't have to be just about gods, look at something like The Green. The wonder of nature, life, evolution and history, summons a tapestry of magic . The universe itself admires the stories we tell ourselves about gods and the supernatural, and it makes those stories into reality.

Any general thoughts on this "origin" for the Earth Gods?

Not a fan - I don't like the idea of the Greek, Egyptian, Mayan, etc. gods being as tangible as the New Gods, i.e. just really powerful superhumans.

If the gods can be "fought" IMO it should go down like Diana's face-off with Ares in Perez's run, where they can be intellectually/emotionally influenced but not physically battled. Historia has pretty seriously impacted my preferences, I love how huge and otherworldly the gods feel in it.

Not really a fan of it either.

Jimenez stated in interviews he thinks it denigrates WW and the Amazons, by extension, when you have silly stuff like Superman getting in slugfests with Ares or Apollo (see Injustice).
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-21-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Darkseid id not a real god in my eyes. He should be easily owned along with Superman by any of the Gods. And WW should put them down just by breathing. She is the one meant to be unstoppable and with no limits.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

There’s a lot of interesting work DC needs to do to describe or define the natures of the different divine pantheons in the DCU: Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Chinese, Aztec, Kryptonian, New Gods and Apokoliptans, etc. What are the similarities and differences (if any), what are their origins in the cosmos and does how belief in them or the just the existence of mortal creatures and their energies and thoughts affect them (if at all)? Are their divine aspects more powerful than the avatars and visages they appear in to mortals and their senses in a three dimensional world? Are they as based on the same type of energy? Do the different pantheons across the cosmos see each other as distant cousins? Are there secrets about their origins that even they don’t know about given the passage of eons.

We’ve got a whole Godosphere to mess with, so it’d be fun to see that played out and addressed more with some superheroes in tow.

While creative and convenient, I’m not a fan of what Byrne was putting down… it’s too reductive of other gods, who I think could be as vital as the New Genosians and Apokoliptans as characters.

In Azz’s run I really enjoyed when a unpowered Hera visited New Genesis with Wonder Woman and Orion and High Father recognized her as a “queen” in her own right. That was quite fun and the type of playfulness and development I’d like to see with the various gods.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 09-25-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    There’s a lot of interesting work DC needs to do to describe or define the natures of the different divine pantheons in the DCU: Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Chinese, Aztec, Kryptonian, New Gods and Apokoliptans, etc. What are the similarities and differences (if any), what are their origins in the cosmos and does how belief in them or the just the existence of mortal creatures and their energies and thoughts affect them (if at all)? Are their divine aspects more powerful than the avatars and visages they appear in to mortals and their senses in a three dimensional world? Are they as based on the same type of energy? Do the different pantheons across the cosmos see each other as distant cousins? Are their secrets about their origins that even they don’t know given the passage of eons.

We’ve got a whole Godosphere to mess with, so it’d be fun to see that played out and addressed more with some superheroes in tow.

While creative and convenient, I’m not a fan of what Byrne was putting down… it’s too reductive of other gods, who I think could be as vital as the New Genosians and Apokoliptans as characters.

In Azz’s run I really enjoyed when a unpowered Hera visited New Genesis with Wonder Woman and Orion and High Father recognized her as a “queen” in her own right. That was quite fun and the type of playfulness and development I’d like to see with the various gods.
    Yep, I like all of this, lol!

It really would be a fun read to see all of this well-plotted out by DC!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yep, I like all of this, lol!

It really would be a fun read to see all of this well-plotted out by DC!
    Absolutely - with some leeway for changes and surprises.

Ah right. Ares and the other war gods getting supercharged by the OWAW event was Jimenez's explanation for none of the pantheons got involved in OWAW.

So a more interesting event was happening off-page.

I really enjoyed when Jimenez brought in the Egyptian gods.

Diana was already doing a tour of the Godosphere, before there was a Godosphere.

Lyta Hall aside and knowing how they don’t like Vertigo interconnected with the regular DCU too much, but Diana would be a great character to encounter and deal with The Endless and the fae folk in The Faerie.