Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Gonna go with Siege, there's story potential in both but for an ongoing narrative where Diana has a connection to Athena the pre-Ovid versions are really the only ones you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    There are versions of the texts that don't paint Athena in such a bad light, so the Wonderverse could use those interpretations.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka kind of already used one of the earlier versions in his first run. Medusa wasn't meant to be sympathetic in the older stories, so since he wanted to use her as a villain, I imagine that's why he went with it. And Medusa makes an awesome villain.

The Ovid versions of events could be an interesting thing for the WW comics to explore, but any writer who brings it up would have to be prepared to sever any positive ties Diana has to Athena. Because there is no way you can have Diana worship a goddess who punished a rape victim.
    Yeah but in the years since Rucka published that story Medusa has morphed into an icon for rape victims. So I feel any modern depiction of Medusa needs to be on the sympathetic side but without vilifying Athena. And while Medusa can be sympathetic, the same rule doesn't apply for the rest of the Gorgons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Artemis gives me Princess Mononoke vibes, and I am here for it.

Artemis gives me Princess Mononoke vibes, and I am here for it.
    She's been my favorite design since Jimenez first shared his sneak peak of her.

Whose on the far left? Demeter?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Whose on the far left? Demeter?
    Hestia. Demeter is the one in between Artemis and Hecate.

For some reason I thought that was Hera.

So far I like Hestia, Hecate, Aphrodite and Athena's designs the most.

Rucka kind of already used one of the earlier versions in his first run. Medusa wasn't meant to be sympathetic in the older stories, so since he wanted to use her as a villain, I imagine that's why he went with it. And Medusa makes an awesome villain.

The Ovid versions of events could be an interesting thing for the WW comics to explore, but any writer who brings it up would have to be prepared to sever any positive ties Diana has to Athena. Because there is no way you can have Diana worship a goddess who punished a rape victim.
    I recall Rucka's version had Medusa as being Poseidon's former lover but didn't mention anything about the rape.

No way you can do a take on Medusa today without addressing the rape element.

No way you can do a take on Medusa today without addressing the rape element.
    But what spin to put on it?

I mentioned it in the previous page:

Yeah, my pitch would be something like:

-Arachne was turned to a spider to protect her from the wrath of Zeus and Posiedon since the weaving she made would have offended them as well and their punishments would have been considerably less harsh.

-Medusa. The Gorgons predate Medusa. So the Gorgons are a race and some of them worshiped Athena who gave them human like appearances. Medusa did try to betray Athena by working with Poseidon but did not expect him to force himself on her in Athena's temple. Athena gave her back her Gorgon appearance back to drive away Poseidon but had to banish her for her attempted betrayal. Her death by Perseus was to spare her the pain of giving birth to Posiedon's children and she lives on in Athena's shield.

Ovid and Ares were best buds and the latter distorted these stories to make Athena look bad and himself look good.
    Medusa is sympathetic but you can always have other Gorgons to serve as villains.

Btw, has any WW writer used Scylla and Charybdis?

I mentioned it in the previous page:

Medusa is sympathetic but you can always have other Gorgons to serve as villains.

Btw, has any WW writer used Scylla and Charybdis?
    Scylla was in that Endless Winter event. Don't think Charybdis has been used, though.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-19-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Incredible Member

Have we had any visually interesting takes on Eros?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I would also LOVE IT if the Gods would stop being canon fodder for once.
    This. If you can’t tell a story that involves killing deities, then try to find another story to tell.