Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I loved when they combined the Pantheon of the Bana and Themyscirian Amazons....

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    I loved when they combined the Pantheon of the Bana and Themyscirian Amazons....
    So did I. I wish that was still going on and that Isis had a connection to them as well, to play out in Wonder Woman and the Captain Marvel world.

What was the one weapon that would work on Themyscira under Aphrodite's blessing??

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    What was the one weapon that would work on Themyscira under Aphrodite's blessing??
    It wasn't one weapon, it was one island in the floating archipelago that they used for training.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It wasn't one weapon, it was one island in the floating archipelago that they used for training.
    Thanks! I was confused by the phrasing. I thought that "except one" referred to one weapon, as opposed to one island.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Zeus shows up in the latest Shazam issue

In Leigh Bardugo's YA novel, Wonder Woman: Warbringer, the first chapter establishes that some Amazons worship other gods besides the Greek ones. How can this be integrated in modern depictions, especially with the Amazons' racial diversity kept in mind?

I mean, why do people switch to other religions in real life? They find something dissatisfying in the current one and something more fulfilling in the religion they switched to.

And often times in Theocratic societies you are persona non grata if you are not part of the 'club'. Do Amazons gets to maintain their gifts if they switch teams or do their other Gods grant new ones in exchange for it? Side note: I think Themsycira being a theocratic society and exploring their flaws from that lens is more interesting than the often dismal treatment of them as a misandrist society.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Zeus was dead in the WW-Shazam event. Is it explained here how he came back to life? Or did that never matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Zeus was dead in the WW-Shazam event. Is it explained here how he came back to life? Or did that never matter?
    Considering he was also dead in the Robinson run and just came back without a mention, I assume nobody even blinks at Zeus dying anymore.
    That is to say, no, it really did not matter. Editorial mandated an event to tie Wonder Woman and Shazam, and I get the impression that nobody actually making it were really that invested in it. Add to that the movie that prompted the event flopping hard....

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Considering he was also dead in the Robinson run and just came back without a mention, I assume nobody even blinks at Zeus dying anymore.
    That is to say, no, it really did not matter. Editorial mandated an event to tie Wonder Woman and Shazam, and I get the impression that nobody actually making it were really that invested in it. Add to that the movie that prompted the event flopping hard....
    He came back to life thanks to Diana who rescued him and the other gods in WW #775. But hey, who cares?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The Gods are just never ending red shirts for writers. How many times have they died, disappeared, etc...and just return as if nothing happened.

And DC wonders why sales in general lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In Leigh Bardugo's YA novel, Wonder Woman: Warbringer, the first chapter establishes that some Amazons worship other gods besides the Greek ones. How can this be integrated in modern depictions, especially with the Amazons' racial diversity kept in mind?
    Most polytheistic religions incorporate deities who originated outside of the initial native culture (even monotheistic religions do this to an extant) so it wouldn't be much of a problem for some Amazons to chose to worship other deities, even easier in a world where all deities actually exist.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    The gods doesn't actually die or rather they just die in that universe. All the gods has a main body/image in the Sphere of the Gods and avatars in each universe. That was just one avatar of Zeus and he just needs time or if done faster another way to be brought back to that universe.

That's the best representation of Zeus I've seen in a long time, he seemed competent and powerful. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Zeus may like being tied to Diana in order to keep himself relevant. I could see him conspiring to perpetuate the myth that he's responsible for her creation, because in his mind he's the father of all the gods, so when the others blessed her clay statue with life he was ultimately the patriarch.