Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I like my gods as modern as possible and weird. Not weird to the point of looking stupid or goofy, but creepy and macabre. I think the weirdness fits Wonder Woman's world and it's a great update and replacement of the Golden and Silver Age's wackiness and hijinks. Though not a god, a case in point is the Keeper of the Grounds in the latest issue. Giant man dressed in ominous Edwardian clothing, with the head of a bird, a huge hat and a lantern on a weathered stick...it's a cool design.

Attachment 111561

To the contrary, while a similar concept the depiction of Athena in Azzarello's run just looked stupid.

Attachment 111562

There's a fine line artists have to walk. To that end my favorite versions of the gods are...

Ares with blond hair as the God of Conflict, black hair as prisoner of Themyscira and horrifying in armor as drawn by Liam Sharp

Apollo and Artemis as twins Sun and Moon

Phobos and Deimos as foppish 19th century brats

Athena with her owl on her shoulder and laptop in hand

Perez Poseidon with the bubble beard and massive trident

Hephaestus with molten rock arms and Hellboy influence

Aphrodite invisible so you have to use your imagination

Hermes golden flower delivery form from Earth 2

Demeter dreaded African earth mother

Hades with the candles but Rucka's undertaker was cool too

Strife is always preferable to the female Ares form of Eris
    Oh gosh yeah I forgot about that Athena

Great Grecian Goddess! A Furry!

I think Athena I still like the classic version best, because it's most similar to the most recognizable depiction of Athena. The Athena Parthenos statue

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    In Jimenez's run they along with some of the Olympian Goddesses helped rebuild Themyscira after it was destroyed in the civil war and the Our Worlds At War crossover.

And they also showed back up after Hera kicked Themyscira back into the ocean. Like the other gods in Rucka's first run, they were given modernized looks also.

Okay I don't know about the modernized Bastet. A cat woman hits different in modern outfit, which is why my preferred Cheetah is also the one sans clothes.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-16-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

In Jimenez's run they along with some of the Olympian Goddesses helped rebuild Themyscira after it was destroyed in the civil war and the Our Worlds At War crossover.

And they also showed back up after Hera kicked Themyscira back into the ocean. Like the other gods in Rucka's first run, they were given modernized looks also.

It'd be nice to see more of them.

I miss Drew Johnson sooooooo much! Notice Bast's open toed shoes and Australian Kathy Bates standing behind her. It would be truly golden if the Isis the Bana worshipped were the same one involved with Black Adam. There should be that kind of universal synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know that Orana is really much of a distinct character. She basically just created the "red headed rival for Diana" archetype that was later used for Artemis and Aleka. Artemis is effectively the post-Crisis incarnation of Orana (basically a Barbara Minerva vs. Priscilla Rich situation). So having them both around is pretty redundant.

I think at this point both the Bana Artemis and goddess Artemis are too important and established for either to be re-named, but if it was possible I'd re-name her as Orana of the Bana-Mighdall.
    Maybe Orana is her Bana name and Artemis is an honorific name given to her by the Themysciran Amazons.
    I say, keep the two characters separate to avoid confusion.

Also, Artemis is supposed to be of Middle Eastern origin so I don't think Orana would make much sense. In my own little WW world, I treated 'Artemis' like a title. The fierce red headed Artemis being Artemis Zara and the movie version being Artemis 'Atalanta'.

I like my gods to show in different forms at different times - they’re gods, so the can do that. I’d love to see a modern take on their classic looks that Perez gave them, as I don’t think they should stagnate or be stuck in the past.

Besides that, I really enjoy Jimenez designs coming up in the Black Label book, Jones and Johnson’s designs in their stories with Rucka (I think we missed a whole power change on Olympus story in that run with had some gods in modern dress and others still stuck in toga wear), Chiang’s designs were delightful and evocative, and I’d love to see the gods as their divine animals a bit more.

I guess what I want are the gods to adjust their looks in multiple ways to meet the limitations of the mortal gaze in the physics of the mortal plane.

I'm quite tired of stories about the Greek Gods, but since this thread is about all gods in the Wonder Woman universe, one thing Iw ould be down for is an exploration of other mythologies from the viewpoint of Diana.

Eric Luke had Diana meet a version of Rama from the hindu pantheon, though I believe it was more of a mix of various attributes from distinct gods into one. I didn't love the story, but it was a cool effort.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I wouldnt mind Diana getting caught up in other Gods plans/wrath/wars.

Also wouldnt mind if they brought back the Titans of Myth for both Diana/Hippolyta/Donna

Too tame, these are the Titans I want to see again...

CHILDREN OF CHRONUS.jpg

I would like to see the Crows again too, the story in which the appeared was lackluster but the idea of Ares impregnating Amazons to make evil offspring was sound.

V THE CROWS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm quite tired of stories about the Greek Gods, but since this thread is about all gods in the Wonder Woman universe, one thing Iw ould be down for is an exploration of other mythologies from the viewpoint of Diana.

Eric Luke had Diana meet a version of Rama from the hindu pantheon, though I believe it was more of a mix of various attributes from distinct gods into one. I didn't love the story, but it was a cool effort.
    I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Rama as depicted in those WW stories from Luke. I also loved the evil Children of Chronus, which I believe were also introduced by Eric Luke (??)...
    There are so many IMO potentially awesome ideas and concepts in all eras of the WW book.!!!

Incredible Member

Looking forward to see how Scott does the Amazons and Gods in her Historia issue.

Incredible Member