Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Huh I didn't expect Hecate to be in this. Very interesting.
    May be an early indicator that Circe will show up, since Hecate hasn't had a big role in this franchise outside of her connection to Circe. Maybe she will even be a founding Amazon before she branches off?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Artemis kind of looks like an elf doesn't she?
    Attachment 94431

I take it back. But does she have elf ears?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Huh I didn't expect Hecate to be in this. Very interesting.
    May be an early indicator that Circe will show up, since Hecate hasn't had a big role in this franchise outside of her connection to Circe. Maybe she will even be a founding Amazon before she branches off?
    The Wonder Woman/JLD book established there was kind of a secret cult of Hecate worshippers on the island so maybe something here but more open.

DeConnick strikes me as someone who'd be interested in doing something with Circe, so a possibility.

I was thinking about how prominent Persephone's role was in those last numbers of the crisis.

persefone.jpg
    persefone2.jpg

Incredible Member

The Gods appear in the first 2 stories in Wonder Woman Black and Gold issue two.
    In the first story, "Without Love" Diana encounters Eris, goddess of chaos, strife, discord, and Eros, son of Ares and Aphrodite.
    The second story "A God with No Name" features the Fist Born, as well as Zeus and Hera in flashbacks. Diana is also seen praying to Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Demeter, and Hestia.
    Last edited by Veni; 07-28-2021 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    The Gods appear in the first 2 stories in Wonder Woman Black and Gold issue two.
    In the first story, "Without Love" Diana encounters Eris, goddess of chaos, strife, discord, and Eros, son of Ares and Aphrodite.
    The second story "A God with No Name" features the Fist Born, as well as Zeus and Hera in flashbacks. Diana is also seen praying to Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Demeter, and Hestia.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Do you guys think Aphrodite will ever be on God levels again? I'm reading Wonder Woman #11 or #12 (1942) and it's has Aphrodite saving the Garden of Eden.

Eris from the Harley Quinn show.

Eris.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Do you guys think Aphrodite will ever be on God levels again? I'm reading Wonder Woman #11 or #12 (1942) and it's has Aphrodite saving the Garden of Eden.
    I don't know but this one was super weak.

G Aphrodite Wilson.jpg

It's almost weird how little Aphrodite has been around Post-Crisis when she was such a presence before.

Some of Hades many looks.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't know but this one was super weak.

G Aphrodite Wilson.jpg

It's almost weird how little Aphrodite has been around Post-Crisis when she was such a presence before.
    I really hate the downgrade of Aphrodite since post-Crisis and beyond. Her going from the primary deity who did practically everything (with Athena being the backup) to just fading into the background of the group shots as just a pretty face is a major downgrade. Rucka attempted to bring it back to the triad of Ares-Athena-Aphrodite in his first run with the reasoning for why they'd be the most powerful on modern day Olympus, and then again in Rebirth when he showed the owl and the dove together a lot in Year One. In addition to Aphrodite being the only full deity that Sharp drew along with Ares and Athena. But she's left out of the movies and the New 52 barely used her either.

with the confirmation that Hippolyta isn't with the Amazons at the start of Historia and the armored Amazon queen we see connected to Hera and Demeter most likely being Antiope, I hope that story eventually shows a link between Hippolyta and Aphrodite out of all the goddesses.

In the first WW story, it was both Aphrodite and Athena guiding Hippolyta.

It's easy to reconcile the Athena in WW stories to be the same Athena as in the myths. It's harder to reconcile Aphrodite as representing the themes Martson wanted her to represent with the way she is depicted in Greek Mythos. Aphrodite in the myths feels more like an attention craving, vengeful embodiment of physical lust than a genuinely loving deity and there is also the whole relationship with Ares which involved cheating on Hepheastus. One interesting fact that I learned recently and one which I'm surprised hasn't been incorporated into the WW mythos is that even the old Greek poets had the same problem with the 'Goddess of Love' not being very loving or wholesome so they separated Aphrodite into two; Aphrodite Pandemos and Aphrodite Urania. The former represents purely physical love and the latter represents more heavenly all encompassing love. Logically, Diana should be worshiping Urania. Pandemos can easily serve as an enemy for Diana and her fighting an embodiment of love could make for a great story in defining how Diana and the Amazons view love. There is also the fact that Aphrodite may have been a spin off or revamp of an old Goddess worshiped by the people that existed before the Ancient Greeks, then you have the recipe for a great epic on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In the first WW story, it was both Aphrodite and Athena guiding Hippolyta.

It's easy to reconcile the Athena in WW stories to be the same Athena as in the myths. It's harder to reconcile Aphrodite as representing the themes Martson wanted her to represent with the way she is depicted in Greek Mythos. Aphrodite in the myths feels more like an attention craving, vengeful embodiment of physical lust than a genuinely loving deity and there is also the whole relationship with Ares which involved cheating on Hepheastus. One interesting fact that I learned recently and one which I'm surprised hasn't been incorporated into the WW mythos is that even the old Greek poets had the same problem with the 'Goddess of Love' not being very loving or wholesome so they separated Aphrodite into two; Aphrodite Pandemos and Aphrodite Urania. The former represents purely physical love and the latter represents more heavenly all encompassing love. Logically, Diana should be worshiping Urania. Pandemos can easily serve as an enemy for Diana and her fighting an embodiment of love could make for a great story in defining how Diana and the Amazons view love. There is also the fact that Aphrodite may have been a spin off or revamp of an old Goddess worshiped by the people that existed before the Ancient Greeks, then you have the recipe for a great epic on your hands.
    Yeah I've noticed Urania seems like she'd fit as the supreme goddess of the DC Amazons out of all incarnations of Aphrodite. She was even specifically the version of Aphrodite that was equated with a Scythian goddess, Artimpasa. Historia's Aphrodite seems to be at least partially based on Urania.

As for reconciling Aphrodite from the myth with how the WW mythos uses her, that is true but also not a deal breaker for the WW mythos to work. We are after all already making concessions for inaccuracies with the Amazons (not man hating, not daughters of Ares, didn't cut off a breast, didn't get killed by Heracles, etc).

I really hate the downgrade of Aphrodite since post-Crisis and beyond. Her going from the primary deity who did practically everything (with Athena being the backup) to just fading into the background of the group shots as just a pretty face is a major downgrade. Rucka attempted to bring it back to the triad of Ares-Athena-Aphrodite in his first run with the reasoning for why they'd be the most powerful on modern day Olympus, and then again in Rebirth when he showed the owl and the dove together a lot in Year One. In addition to Aphrodite being the only full deity that Sharp drew along with Ares and Athena. But she's left out of the movies and the New 52 barely used her either.

with the confirmation that Hippolyta isn't with the Amazons at the start of Historia and the armored Amazon queen we see connected to Hera and Demeter most likely being Antiope, I hope that story eventually shows a link between Hippolyta and Aphrodite out of all the goddesses.
    Rucka also made a point to use Aphrodite in that Blackest Night mini he did, though because his first run got kneecapped he didn't get to do much with her when he was having Athena and Ares displace Zeus and Hades.

But, good point on the second run of those three being some of the only main Olympians we got a glimpse of in person.

Yeah I've noticed Urania seems like she'd fit as the supreme goddess of the DC Amazons out of all incarnations of Aphrodite. She was even specifically the version of Aphrodite that was equated with a Scythian goddess, Artimpasa. Historia's Aphrodite seems to be at least partially based on Urania.

As for reconciling Aphrodite from the myth with how the WW mythos uses her, that is true but also not a deal breaker for the WW mythos to work. We are after all already making concessions for inaccuracies with the Amazons (not man hating, not daughters of Ares, didn't cut off a breast, didn't get killed by Heracles, etc).
    I know WW mythos is basically a subversion of traditional greek myths hence why Amazons are an advanced peaceful warrior society and Heracles is a glorified frat boy instead of a hero and Ares is the ultimate big bad instead of a pushover.

Though I think Aphrodite is an exception since her most predominant myths depict her as a not-so-wholesome Goddess. I think her stories in the Greek myths need to be addressed and contexualized within WW mythos itself. Having two Aphrodites works for me since there is already a basis for that in the myths and I think it opens up a lot of interesting story telling potential for WW.