Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Left out Apollo
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Aphrodite & Persephone

persep.jpg

I love how Diana doubt about the myth of Persephone and she tells to a Greek goddess! xD

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Left out Apollo
    And Dionysus, the 12 olympics...

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Left out Apollo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    And Dionysus, the 12 olympics...
    So I suppose the takeaway is the Amazons reject both the sun and wine.

You know... if some WW writer just ever wanted to pluck the version of Eris from Sinbad...

I'd be 100% on board with that...

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That is some HAIR.. Id hope if we ever get an animated WW that they'd be as creative.

Man, that movie brings back some childhood memories.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In the first WW story, it was both Aphrodite and Athena guiding Hippolyta.

It's easy to reconcile the Athena in WW stories to be the same Athena as in the myths. It's harder to reconcile Aphrodite as representing the themes Martson wanted her to represent with the way she is depicted in Greek Mythos. Aphrodite in the myths feels more like an attention craving, vengeful embodiment of physical lust than a genuinely loving deity and there is also the whole relationship with Ares which involved cheating on Hepheastus. One interesting fact that I learned recently and one which I'm surprised hasn't been incorporated into the WW mythos is that even the old Greek poets had the same problem with the 'Goddess of Love' not being very loving or wholesome so they separated Aphrodite into two; Aphrodite Pandemos and Aphrodite Urania. The former represents purely physical love and the latter represents more heavenly all encompassing love. Logically, Diana should be worshiping Urania. Pandemos can easily serve as an enemy for Diana and her fighting an embodiment of love could make for a great story in defining how Diana and the Amazons view love. There is also the fact that Aphrodite may have been a spin off or revamp of an old Goddess worshiped by the people that existed before the Ancient Greeks, then you have the recipe for a great epic on your hands.
    To be fair, the Gods in religion is much different than how they are in the plays. Zeus may have been a philanderer, but he is still the God of law, order, and justice. I took this from Britannica, about Aphrodite: Aphrodite was, in fact, widely worshipped as a goddess of the sea and of seafaring; she was also honoured as a goddess of war, especially at Sparta, Thebes, Cyprus, and other places.. I'm not claiming it's fact, but the Greeks had a much more diverse view of their Gods than we do in modern times.

As for Marston, he didn't follow the myths when it came to Aphrodite. She was kinda just the Goddess, with Athena at her side.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    To be fair, the Gods in religion is much different than how they are in the plays. Zeus may have been a philanderer, but he is still the God of law, order, and justice. I took this from Britannica, about Aphrodite: Aphrodite was, in fact, widely worshipped as a goddess of the sea and of seafaring; she was also honoured as a goddess of war, especially at Sparta, Thebes, Cyprus, and other places.. I'm not claiming it's fact, but the Greeks had a much more diverse view of their Gods than we do in modern times.

As for Marston, he didn't follow the myths when it came to Aphrodite. She was kinda just the Goddess, with Athena at her side.
    Yeah, gods had multiple roles than the more singular focuses they get when they pop up in modern pop-culture depictions.

Aphrodite as War-Goddess is also seen in the Romans when they began encountering Greek culture and equated their own native gods with the Greeks.

Yeah, gods had multiple roles than the more singular focuses they get when they pop up in modern pop-culture depictions.

Aphrodite as War-Goddess is also seen in the Romans when they began encountering Greek culture and equated their own native gods with the Greeks.
    Actually read an interesting Quora thread the other day where someone insisted that the Gods didn't have powers like superheroes do, but were kings and queen of their domains. That's an idea I thought could be incorporated in DC Comics.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 07-31-2021 at 07:10 PM.

I know that Aphrodite has always been called "goddess of beauty and love," but I HATE when artists go for the "let's draw her as a va-va-voom blonde woman with curves for days and with barely any clothes on" cliche. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I know that Aphrodite has always been called "goddess of beauty and love," but I HATE when artists go for the "let's draw her as a va-va-voom blonde woman with curves for days and with barely any clothes on" cliche. Yuck.
    She's the Goddess of sexuality, so it makes sense.

I think just reducing the 'Goddess of Love' to a vixen who uses lust to seduce men and into the path of infidelity has it's own problematic ideals.

Marston was ahead of his time when he made his incarnation of Aphrodite a Goddess of all encompassing love; love between a mother and daughter, love between friends, love between family members, sisters, brothers, humanity as a whole and being the literal anti thesis of aggression and war. I still think taking a page out of Greek myths and having two separate Aphrodites is the way to go.