Mighty Member

Default Monica Rambeau (Spectrum) Reading Recommendation

Can anyone tell me where can I start learn about the character. I know it's complicated because I just want to know much since her debut in the "WandaVision".

BANNED

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

My favorite Monica stories (or story) are in NEXT WAVE!!! Monica's post-Avengers, post-Photon, post-Spectrum, post-nearly everything other than a 'return' to Captain Marvel. She's bitchy, powerful, in command. And NEXT WAVE!!! is one of the most outrageously funny comics of its time (and still).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Pretty sure we have a Appreciation thread for her some where here already...
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2021/page27

On a side note, how come I always want Monica to have super-strength. Nothing major, around 10 to 25 tons and only in her human form
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-17-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    My favorite Monica stories (or story) are in NEXT WAVE!!! Monica's post-Avengers, post-Photon, post-Spectrum, post-nearly everything other than a 'return' to Captain Marvel. She's bitchy, powerful, in command. And NEXT WAVE!!! is one of the most outrageously funny comics of its time (and still).
    NEXTWAVE was pre-Spectrum. Monica didn't take on the Spectrum codename until after she was free of the Beyond Corporation and ended her association with Nextwave.

Although I appreciate NEXTWAVE bringing Monica out of limbo and helping her gain a new generation of fans I always struggle with the various characterization and continuity errors of that book--although it helps that Al Ewing later explained and reconciled the errors with regular Marvel continuity during his MIGHTY AVENGERS run, which is also a very strong read for Monica, where she is finally back with the Avengers and leading the team!

For someone looking to know more about the character there is the CAPTAIN MARVEL: MONICA RAMBEAU trade paperback: https://www.marvel.com/comics/collec...rade_paperback

It contains her origin story and the issues where she joined the Avengers, as well as most of her solo adventures over the years--including her two solo one-shot specials.

I would try Avengers #227-294 Avengers Annuals# 12-19, Some West Coast Avengers, Fantastic Four and annuals that tie in with the main title during her tenure. Then get N.E.X.T.W.A.V.E. and hope you don't get mad then skip ahead until Al Ewing's take on Avengers and Ultimates. Happy reading!

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 is a good place to start. It's her origin by her creators -- Roger Stern, John Romita, Jr inked by John Romita, Sr.