Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But it’s not like Marvel’s mid-tier characters are lighting up the charts either. Their only solo books in the top 50 are Spider-Man (gonna count all of his books as one), Venom, Wolverine, and Immortal Hulk (which is coming to an end). DC has Batman (again counting all his books as one), Nightwing, Joker, Static, and Rorschach. Marvel’s X Men titles are doing really well and so are their Disney IPs like Star Wars and Aliens.

DC doesn’t have a franchise like the X Men that can produce and sustain numerous titles. Maybe they could try another Justice League ongoing or even Young Justice (that’s more similar to the tv show) with a big name creative team.

Unfortunately, if they want to stay competitive they’ll have to continue to have tons of Batman on the shelves. It’s frustrating as a fan of other characters, but Batman is the only sure thing DC has.
    This is why it's easier to be Marvel fans than being DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    This is why it's easier to be Marvel fans than being DC.
    That's really not at all what he was saying...

Where are the Flash fans when we need them more.

It's super bad when the big name like Tom Taylor can get to write Jon Kent's Superman and Nightwing. But for Flash run, it have to be the unknown new writer to tackle the run instead.
    I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to say here. It's not as if Tom Taylor being given the chance to write Nightwing and Superman is a bad thing. Also, from what I can tell, Jeremy Adams has actually been receiving some pretty consistent praise for his Flash run thus far. So, I wouldn't say that DC made a bad choice in having him take over the title.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-18-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its just comical now how far you have to scroll down before you even get to a non Batbook solicit. I'm sorry, I know its already been complained about but the over-saturation is just that nuts. Promote your library better, maybe then you won't have to rely on this.
    Yes, it is a massive number of Batman titles. (And for October, Wonder Woman is overwhelming too.)

But the reason you have to scroll down is because the first section is always the Spotlight section, where DC puts events and event tie-ins, and in this case that event is Fear State. The Spotlight section also includes any new #1 issues for the month, and can also include some collections they want to promote heavily. Then finally, you get to the regular ongoing titles, and then the rest of the collections.

Since there's almost always a Batman event and/or a new Batman #1 starting, I guess they're always going to be in the front.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    That's really not at all what saying...

I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to say here. It's not as if Tom Taylor being given the chance to write Nightwing and Superman is a bad thing. Also, from what I can tell, Jeremy Adams has actually been receiving some pretty consistent praise for his Flash run thus far. So, I wouldn't say that DC made a bad choice in having him take over the title.
    What I am saying Jeremy Adams is not big name writer like James Tynion or Tom Taylors, because of this there is not enough readership to buy the Flash runs since there are many people are still not faithful enough to buy his runs. Moreover, this is his first ongoing run.

Astonishing Member

It's super bad when the big name like Tom Taylor can get to write Jon Kent's Superman and Nightwing. But for Flash run, it have to be the unknown new writer to tackle the run instead.
    Lol, is it really that important, is the author himself popular or not? Taylor is popular, but his Suicide Squad hasn't had the best sales. Bendis is a huge name in the industry, but his Superman didn't sell well in the end. The name of the author is now not as important as it might seem. Whoever is on the Flash now, current sales are the most that can be achieved, I doubt that even someone like Johns would change it.
    Not to mention that at least Flash currently is written by a great writer who understands the character and does the right things.

Jeremy Adams is doing a phenomenal job on The Flash. He understands Wally and nails the character, this first arc had everything that a Flash title should. I hope he is on the title for quite awhile and if you aren’t reading this title, then you are missing out. I have been frustrated with DC for about a decade now and this book has been a breath of fresh air. It is consistently at the top of my reading pile, even above Immortal Hulk ( and that’s saying something)!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is tough to get upset at the number of Batman titles when they are what is selling. Realistically from a business point of view DC should be trying to sell more Batman because that is what the consumers are buying, even if that would be the last thing people on this forum want haha...
    But we don't really know what "consumers are buying" as much as we know what comic book shops are ordering.
    And consumers may be more willing to buy other books than Bat-books, but how many copies of those other titles are comic book shops willing to order / can they afford to order?

We really need a new system where it can be pin-pointed what consumers are buying rather than just what comic book shop owners are ordering.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But we don't really know what "consumers are buying" as much as we know what comic book shops are ordering.
    And consumers may be more willing to buy other books than Bat-books, but how many copies of those other titles are comic book shops willing to order / can they afford to order?

We really need a new system where it can be pin-pointed what consumers are buying rather than just what comic book shop owners are ordering.
    Stores are buying based on the estimates of the previous orders and confirmed current preorders though right? Then if it's sold out, and there's still demand, they'll report and ask the publisher if there's a second printing, so after that, they can adjust the estimates?

But if say some stores have their bias and keep ordering too much Batman because that's what they like to read and sell... that's still not the fault of the company. That's the problem with the stores.

The digital ones in ComiXology go straight to the consumers. They don't have numbers, just a list of top selling.

Let's see... at this moment the top ten DC are Infinite Frontier, Detective Comics, Flash Annual, Rorschach, Batman The Detective, Action Comics, Justice League, the Joker, Wonder Woman, and Batman Urban Legends.

I don't know how to find out the numbers from stores since that's each of the private business' prerogative if they want to share their numbers or not

Extraordinary Member

What I am saying Jeremy Adams is not big name writer like James Tynion or Tom Taylors, because of this there is not enough readership to buy the Flash runs since there are many people are still not faithful enough to buy his runs. Moreover, this is his first ongoing run.
    And? I honestly don't get the gripe. If he's doing a great job, he doesn't need to be a big name. But since he is doing a great job, the Flash run is probably a great way for him to increase his profile.

Not too long ago, James Tynion and Tom Taylor were not big names. They became big names by being able to write important titles...like Flash.

Honestly, it seems like you're TRYING to find something to complain about where there's not really an issue.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-18-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

This has been a problem since the creation of Diamond.
    And they have no interest in changing it.

Stuff like Comics Buyers Guide used to have retailer reports where they'd ask a handful of retailers each week what was selling.
    I don't know if they do that anymore, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Stores are buying based on the estimates of the previous orders and confirmed current preorders though right? Then if it's sold out, and there's still demand, they'll report and ask the publisher if there's a second printing, so after that, they can adjust the estimates?

But if say some stores have their bias and keep ordering too much Batman because that's what they like to read and sell... that's still not the fault of the company. That's the problem with the stores.

The digital ones in ComiXology go straight to the consumers. They don't have numbers, just a list of top selling.

Let's see... at this moment the top ten DC are Infinite Frontier, Detective Comics, Flash Annual, Rorschach, Batman The Detective, Action Comics, Justice League, the Joker, Wonder Woman, and Batman Urban Legends.

I don't know how to find out the numbers from stores since that's each of the private business' prerogative if they want to share their numbers or not
    The only problems with the Comixology sales charts is that it's dynamic and changes daily based on most recent sales. So you have to watch it all week to get an accurate reading. A lower selling book would get listed higher one day because more of its readers bought it the day before the top selling book had the rest of its sales.
    Fortunately (most) comics come out on the same day each week, so the fluctuations aren't as wild as they could be. But with everyone having different paydays and buying habits, the chart will never have one day that's accurate for the whole week.

And for my selections for October...

Blue & Gold gets my top vote.

*scrolls past Batman*
    Detective Comics has a nice cover by Dan Mora
    *continues scrolling*

Batman: The Long Halloween Special looks interesting.
    *resumes scrolling*

*initially scrolls past DC vs. Vampires because it looked like a Batman book*
    Stopped to look at DC vs. Vampires. Eh.
    *resumes scrolling*

Human Target looks interesting.
    Tom King will either ruin Christopher Chance or the JLI. Maybe both.
    Will wait for reviews.

Aquaman/Green Arrow looks good. The cover image they posted looks amazing. That's some solid inking you don't see much anymore.
    Too bad the coloring will probably be over-processed and lose most of the look.
    Put on my *interested* stack.

Batman: The Audio Adventures Special got my attention by tricking me.
    It's not mixed in with the rest of the Batbooks, so I wasn't blindly scrolling.
    It does look good, though, with some classic designs for the villains.
    Added to my *interested* stack.

Stopped to look at the cover for the Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary Special.

Cool cover for WW Historia.

Nubia has a cool cover, too. The first one.

*the scrolling resumes*

Stopped briefly for Batman 89.

*resumed scrolling*

Stopped briefly for Batman: The Adventures Continue to grumble softly about the cover art.

*continued scrolling*

Full stop for Blue & Gold.
    Added to the *interested* stack.

*resumes scrolling*

Stopped to read Checkmate's blurb.
    Still on the fence with this one.

Crush/Lobo.
    Who would've thought that all Lobo needed to reclaim his '90s popularity was his own Harley Quinn.
    It doesn't hurt that Momosa dresses like him for Aquaman, too.

*resumes scrolling*

Justice League Infinity ties with Batman: The Adventures Continue for worst cover of the month.

*continues scrolling*

Mister Miracle looks good. But I never really got invested in Shiloh. I'm more into Scott and Barda.
    May check it out later.

*resumes scrolling*

Stop to look at Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

*scrolling*

Ambush Bug in Suicide Squad got me to take a second look.
    But even he can't get me interested in the post-Harley version.

*continues scrolling*

Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries added to *interested* stack.

*resumes scrolling*

Stop to look at Titans United. Looks interesting.
    We'll see what comes out of it.
    If it's forgotten about a month after it ends, I won't bother with it.

*continues scrolling*

A collection for Batman & Scooby Doo. Nice.
    And solicited to coincide with the first issue after the collection.
    Well, a month after. But #7 and 8 should still be available when it hits.

*scrolled to bottom*

My final list:

AQUAMAN/GREEN ARROW–DEEP TARGET #1
    BATMAN: THE AUDIO ADVENTURES SPECIAL
    BLUE & GOLD #4
    THE BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #7

Nice House on the Lake 5
    Robin 7

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    This has been a problem since the creation of Diamond.
    And they have no interest in changing it.

Stuff like Comics Buyers Guide used to have retailer reports where they'd ask a handful of retailers each week what was selling.
    I don't know if they do that anymore, though.
    Don't know about them but ICv2 does sales charts based on POS Data. Their charts don't seem that different from Comichron's even if one is Issues ordered and the other is Issues sold.

I agree that Comixology sales charts are very dynamic, there isn't much to gather from them. Especially now that Marvel and DC don't release on the same day anymore. The only thing that can be analyzed is the difference in buying habits of digital comic readers of the US, UK, and EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Don't know about them but ICv2 does sales charts based on POS Data. Their charts don't seem that different from Comichron's even if one is Issues ordered and the other is Issues sold.

I agree that Comixology sales charts are very dynamic, there isn't much to gather from them. Especially now that Marvel and DC don't release on the same day anymore. The only thing that can be analyzed is the difference in buying habits of digital comic readers of the US, UK, and EU.
    You used to be able to see the differences in digital vs print, also.
    For example, Harley Quinn used to barely make a dent digitally, as most of her audience bought primarily physical, and several for the covers.
    But after the movies, she started getting more popular digitally.

I also think free services like Hoopla, where you can read free with a library card, and subscription services like DCU Infinite and Marvel Unlimited, both of which have shortened the print-to-digital turnout, have made some impact on digital sales in recent years.