Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Stories That Turned You Into A Fan Of A Character

Metamorpho

The Sandman 20, "Facade"

This single issue turned me on to the more outlandish concepts of the DC Universe.

Deadman

Deadman Love After Death

It's possible that this miniseries was the gateway from me reading almost exclusively Vertigo to more Vertigo adjacent DC titles like Grell's Green Arrow and Wagner's Demon.

Hawkman

The Shadow War of Hawkman

This is a great beginner's point for those who want to get acquainted with the character.

Teen Titans

The Terror of Trigon

One of the first examples I had of superheroes as a opera. These five issue made me the world of the Titans seem as rich as the entire DC Universe.

Swamp Thing

Love and Death

For some reason, the initial issues of Moore's Swamp Thing didn't click with me at the time. This story arc captured my attention like few comics have ever done since.

Earth 2

Generations Saga

As someone who grew up in a Post Crisis on Infinite Earths world, the opening arc of Infinity Inc sold me on the charm of Earth 2.

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-12-2021 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Longbow Hunters turned me into a GA fan when I realized this wasn't my Dad's Green Arrow.

Mark Waid's The Flash turned me into a HUGE Jay Garrick fan.

I am trying to remember how I became a big fan of Ray Palmer. I think it was one of those DC Legends of The Universe comics. It was a really fun story line.

JSA: Return of Hawkman made me a pretty big fan of Carter Hall.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

"Cosmic Odyssey" made me interested in Orion
    Attached Images Attached Images

Katana: The Other History of the DC Universe #3

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Second this. I'd enjoyed reprints of his first few More Fun Comics appearances, before they watered Dr. Fate down, but this was the first where I thought he was really cool.

Plastic Man

Injustice Year 4 Annual

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectre

Batman: The Brave and the Bold - "Chill of the Night"

Hal Jordan

New Frontier

Hal Jordan - The Green Lantern.

Hawkman - Hawkman Venditti's run, I was interested on the character before, but it was more based on the concept and his badass design.

The Shade - Starman by James Robinson.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 07-12-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Titans academy issue 4 for the Batpack.

Jo Nah (Ultra Boy)
    Legion of Super-heroes #2
    1076889.jpg

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

New 52 All-Star Western made me a fan of Jonah Hex.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Batman: Hard to pin down any specific examples since I consumed Batman: The Animated Series, it's tie in comics, the Burton\Schumacher movies and the Dixon/Grant/Monech era and some of the older Bronze Age comics. Though I would give most of the credit to B:TAS for making me like the character is the default Batman in my mind.

Same goes for Superman. I was exposed to Lois & Clark, the first two Reeves movies, Superman: TAS and Smallville all in a short period of time so they're all Superman to me.

Wonder Woman: Justice League Unlimited is when I first noticed the character but Perez's Gods & Mortals was what made me a fan of the character.

The Hawks: Isabella's Shadow War of Hawkman, Hawkworld and Legend of Hawkman is what made me like the characters. For Shayera it was her appearance in JLU with episodes like 'In Blackest Night', 'Starcrossed', 'Shadow of the Hawk', 'Savage Time', 'Hearts & Minds' which got me to like the character. Shayera is also the first Hawk character I ever saw and got the rolling in my interest for the character.

Zatanna: First saw her in 'Zatanna' in B:TAS then later 'This Little Piggy' in JLU. However, it her appearances in Dini's 'Detective Comics' run followed by her ongoing written by Dini as well which cemented me as a life long fan of the character.

Flash/Wally West: Began with JLU, especially the 'Brave and the Bold', 'Flash & Substance' and the finale of the Cadmus arc with Brainiac/Luthor. Then later got into Flash Vol2 and the stories by Mark Waid tripled my love for the character.

Flash/Barry Allen: New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke and JLA Year One by Mark Waid.

Static Shock/Virgil Hawkins: The tv show. The homeless girl episode, the one about gun violence and how Virgil faced them and the crossover episodes with Batman, Green Lantern and JL and Virgil meeting his future self and the latter's appearance in JLU all added up to make me a fan of the character. I should get into his original comics one day but I'm enjoying the new comics which are out now.

Green Lantern/John Stewart: JLU mostly. The primary one being 'Hearts and Minds' episode when he imprinted his ring insignia on Despero's third eye and him reciting the oath in Blackest Night.

Green Lantern/Hal Jordan: New Frontier by Darywn Cooke.

Black Canary/Dinah Laurel Lance: Secret Origins #50 'Unfinished Business' by Alan Brennert.

Justice League of America and WAR OF THE GODS made me a fan of Dr Fate. Never cared for the character before Inza Nelson.

The Zero Hour OUTSIDERS book made me a fan of...all of the members. That was a wildly satisfying and thrilling book

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Cosmic Odyssey" made me interested in Orion
    For me it was Walt Simonson's Orion series. Best take on the New God's since Kirby. It was so good.