Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't she at least bail on Red Son Superman before he really went off the rails? Not, for, like good reasons but still...
    My post was a pretty clear joking potshot at Injustice Wonder Woman with the Soviet reference being someone should airbrush her out of the picture

I must say that I was impressed. I actually felt the Wonder-love from DC. The one story that didn’t move me was “Immortal Mysteries.” Who is this Prof. Barnes? An existing character?

I think I like Cloonrad, Orlando and Ayala’s stories the most. The Mod Era story was beautiful to look at and funny. But really, you get eight pages in a WW anniversary collection and your story is as much about Clark as it is about Diana?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Waid did a better job with Diana this time around. Overall it was solid and enjoyable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So you have a problem with Red Son Wonder Woman but not Flashpoint Wonder Woman and Injustice?
    Like, I don't care about it, but I'm surprised.
    Gaius hates the Injustice incarnation. Personally I wish Injustice and the Frank Miller DKSA WW weren’t there, neither of them are worthy of being celebrated.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

But do people here not have a problem with Flashpoint Wonder Woman?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I thought this one of the better 80th Anniversary specials, up there with the Green Arrow one.

I loved the Cheetah story, so good to see Post-Crisis Barbara again (I guess continuity wise it should be somewhere around Messner-Loebs' run?) and being such a powerhouse at that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    But do people here not have a problem with Flashpoint Wonder Woman?
    I think plenty of people do, but she's been supplanted by Injustice WW as being far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I must say that I was impressed. I actually felt the Wonder-love from DC. The one story that didn’t move me was “Immortal Mysteries.” Who is this Prof. Barnes? An existing character?

I think I like Cloonrad, Orlando and Ayala’s stories the most. The Mod Era story was beautiful to look at and funny. But really, you get eight pages in a WW anniversary collection and your story is as much about Clark as it is about Diana?
    That was my problem with it also. It's not as bad his Batman issues but it felt like WW being used for a Superman story.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've only read the Cloonrad, Ayala, Waid and Orlando stories so far, but really liked each of them.

Cloonrad's voice for Diana remains really strong, especially in her interview with Lois. Ayala's take on Perez/Loeb's era Barbara is perhaps a bit too sympathetic but still doesn't ring as completely untrue either. And their fight scene was very reminiscent of that era, we need more brutal brawls between them like that.

It's always nice seeing Diana interact with Hal and Barry. Modern interactions are so rare and actual good ones even rarer still (looking at you Johns). Dick excitedly telling her about his sports options and Bruce telling him to hang up was also really cute, and it's always good to see Bronze Age Thanagarian Shayera (with no reincarnated BS).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've only read the Cloonrad, Ayala, Waid and Orlando stories so far, but really liked each of them.

Cloonrad's voice for Diana remains really strong, especially in her interview with Lois. Ayala's take on Perez/Loeb's era Barbara is perhaps a bit too sympathetic but still doesn't ring as completely untrue either. And their fight scene was very reminiscent of that era, we need more brutal brawls between them like that.

It's always nice seeing Diana interact with Hal and Barry. Modern interactions are so rare and actual good ones even rarer still (looking at you Johns). Dick excitedly telling her about his sports options and Bruce telling him to hang up was also really cute, and it's always good to see Bronze Age Thanagarian Shayera (with no reincarnated BS).
    Yeah, that speech she gave to the UN had me hollering! "..., but I will not sit idly by and watch you kill for profit. I expect that justice will be done, and that those responsible will be made to answer for their crimes. You can do this now, or I will see to it myself." And that angered face and the background with the orange and orangish red! Give me more that, please and thank yoooouuu.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Amy Reeder has to do a "Wonder Woman and the Holliday Girls" book. I know most of you don't understand why I make such a big deal out of this, but an Amy Reeder book in this style with more colorful villains is perfect for the same audience that loves Adventure Drama, Steven Universe and She Ra. And that's a huge audience no other superhero is appealing to, including Wonder Woman. A well promoted Kids book by Amy Reeder about "WW and The H girls" Could be a huge hit with the right audience, and turn into a kids cartoon. It could be a goldmine.

Mark Waid's story was one of the best ones here. Diana was still kinda stiff, but he really does get what Diana's dynamic with the Justice League should be. She's not a reaffirming mother figure, she challenges people to live their most passionate lives.

Tom King's voice for Wonder Woman is so freaking perfect. It's true that he did choose a story that is as much about Superman as it is about Diana (though I also love his take on Clark) but good lord, he really does get how to write the free spirit that Diana should be.

I have to say that I really don't like stories like the one we got by Cloonrad in this issue. Whenever writers do this I know they mean well, but they make Diana seem so uninteresting. Even her speech to the UN is so vague (which it always is when she has to give a public speech by any writer). I still love a lot of what Becky and Michael have done in their run, but I hope they avoid the "inspirational take" because Diana is inspiring to me when she challenges others in their privates lifes, and has creative solutions for big crisis. Not when she just says "the right thing to do". And the rebirth version of Etta still bores me (not that I'm enamored with Steve either).

Steve Orlando knows how to use Marston villains so well for two reasons. He keeps giving us the best worldbuilding since Phil Jiminez. But along with this he has mastered how to create engaging action from that worldbuilding. His character work isn't as tight as Rucka and William Messner-Loebs, but I wish he had a 4 year run using those Golden Age villains.
    Last edited by Alpha; 10-06-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

overall it was a good 80th special but.....it's beyond ridiculous that Donna/Cassie played absolutely no part in it. Like come on now.....

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Best story far and away was the mod sixties one.
    Assassinate Putin!

VAN OF WONDER.jpg

I know Diana hit the bowl in that van. Which is fine, but I wanted to ask "what about the boutique?".

Loved the inclusion of Nubia and the other Wonder Women. The Wonder Girls pin-up was enough for me. Notice Yara Flor is doing an all out sprint while Cassie and Donna are only getting warmed up, implying she'll get tired and they'll eventually win the race. It was cool that they had to share but Artemis got one all to herself.

The main question I'm taking away is who is this cheap hussy Steve has been seeing? I hope it's someone we know with superpowers and she matches up with Siegfried....ahhhhh the drama of it all!