Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Interesting. I found New52 to generally be Dianas weakest storylines apart from some standouts here and there but to each their own.
    There's a fan for everything and New 52 was popular so like you said, to each their own and power to them. There were worse written versions of Diana that DC was chugging out at the time between Johns' early JL run and Taylor's Injustice comics.

I'm fairly neutral on it but there's always going to be a big asterisk because I really hate Daddy Zeus. So of course that's the one thing DC insisted on keeping.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like this run a lot with a giant asterisk associated with Daddy Zeus, rapist Amazons that trade their sons to Hephaestus, and such decompression that made it a painful experience to follow month to month. Also, some of the fill in art wasn't my favorite.

But Nu52 is when I really got into DC Comics and Azzarello's run made me want to go back and read as much Wonder content as I could so I have to give props where it's due.

Chiang art, god designs, Diana's voice and characterization and the isolation of the book away from the main line Nu52 books really heighten the run for me. I have to dock some points for being a reboot of Wonder Woman that really didn't bother setting anything of her mission or origin up at all, leaving a bit of a mess for the next team. Not that the Finches would have done anything worthwhile even if a status quo had been established by Azzarello.

I don't know, I'm conflicted. I do enjoy the run but I also see all of its flaws and shortcomings. Honestly, I'm only on CBR and the WW forums today because of following WW during the Nu52 and the heated ass debates on it on this very same WW forum. Before the big reset of the forum haha.

I am generally wary of writers that say that New52 is their basis of Diana though, but the art will be nice and that one story with the First Born in WW:B&G demonstrated that you can use the New52 stuff and still tell a good story!

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I like this run a lot with a giant asterisk associated with Daddy Zeus, rapist Amazons that trade their sons to Hephaestus, and such decompression that made it a painful experience to follow month to month. Also, some of the fill in art wasn't my favorite.

But Nu52 is when I really got into DC Comics and Azzarello's run made me want to go back and read as much Wonder content as I could so I have to give props where it's due.

Chiang art, god designs, Diana's voice and characterization and the isolation of the book away from the main line Nu52 books really heighten the run for me. I have to dock some points for being a reboot of Wonder Woman that really didn't bother setting anything of her mission or origin up at all, leaving a bit of a mess for the next team. Not that the Finches would have done anything worthwhile even if a status quo had been established by Azzarello.

I don't know, I'm conflicted. I do enjoy the run but I also see all of its flaws and shortcomings. Honestly, I'm only on CBR and the WW forums today because of following WW during the Nu52 and the heated ass debates on it on this very same WW forum. Before the big reset of the forum haha.

I am generally wary of writers that say that New52 is their basis of Diana though, but the art will be nice and that one story with the First Born in WW:B&G demonstrated that you can use the New52 stuff and still tell a good story!
    I envy y'all who came into WW through New 52.

Could have been like me and have it been JMS' WW Odyssey.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Who's what?

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Ooof, haha.

Well, at least he's not listed as a writer on this anniversary issue!

A-Mock-Souvenir-T-shirt-from-JMS-Run.jpg

I wasn't reading Wonder Woman at the time, but I loved the JMS outfit. I prefer an outfit that simbolizes "athletic princess", but the pants/ blouse/ jacket is a strong look. I wonder if people would've embraced it more if it was Donna or Cassie wearing it.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-21-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I wasn't reading Wonder Woman at the time, but I loved the JMS outfit. I prefer an outfit that simbolizes "athletic princess", but the pants/ blouse/ jacket is a strong look. I wonder if people would've embraced it more if it was Donna or Cassie wearing it.
    Yeah, I think it would have been better received if it wasn't Diana.

It's a good look but Diana with pants on is still a very...hot button issue for some fans haha. The only reason we have the current costume is because of WW 2017. I liked the New 52 costume but I've seen designs of it with pants and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I do prefer Diana with gold in her costume but the silver looked sleek.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Yeah, I think it would have been better received if it wasn't Diana.

It's a good look but Diana with pants on is still a very...hot button issue for some fans haha. The only reason we have the current costume is because of WW 2017. I liked the New 52 costume but I've seen designs of it with pants and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I do prefer Diana with gold in her costume but the silver looked sleek.
    It would fit better for Donna or Cassie imo, even if I think they’ve had better designs than that one.

I wouldn’t be against a WW design with pants if I thought it was good. Artemis’ Rebirth costume is easily one my favorite looks for a Wonder character. Just the ones on Diana tend to look bad or associated with a a version of the character I don’t care for.

[Insert all of Wonder Woman’s Injustice designs here].

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The art looks great but no sequel to "Chase the Baby" will excite me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Guess I should count myself lucky.

My introduction to Wonder Woman was JLU. My first WW comic was an issue of John Byrne's WW run. Then I stumbled upon Perez's run online and that's when I fell in love with the character and her mythology.

Travis Moore Bronze Age/Perez homage variant (and Moore wins the variant contest)

Michael Cho Silver Age variant

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Travis Moore Bronze Age/Perez homage variant (and Moore wins the variant contest)

Michael Cho Silver Age variant

These 2 covers are great. I love them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    These 2 covers are great. I love them.
    Same. That Moore cover, guwoooow! Dem Perez designs are lovely to trot out every now and then.