Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I love all the world building they have put in just this Issue, and I see quite some similarities to The Adventures of Young Diana. Especially the designs like Clio's and Phillipus' were easily recognisable.

Watching the danger the Amazon's will have to face slowly awakening, was really satisfying. It sure looks like Medusa might be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Issue #1 Spoilers:

spoilers:
    Nubia dreams about her past. She was the last Amazon to emerge from The Well of Souls, the same day Diana was born, before it had closed.

Waking up from her dream, Nubia is met with an anxious Penepole, who has come to inform the Queen that the Well has opened once more. Welcoming the five new Amazon's to Themyscira, Queen Nubia is overjoyed at the arrival of new Amazons, she can't help shake and uneasy feeling about what else might have awakened.

The new Amazons participate in a ceremonial series of trials and assignments, to best tell who the new Amazons are and help them get adjusted to their new life on Themyscira. The trials consists of archery, obstacle courses, craftsmanship, and puzzle solving. Meanwhile, a sliver of Dooms Doorway creeks open. A knockouts green gas pours out of the crack to the horror of the watch guard, Mala.

A party is held in honor of the new Amazon's completing their trials. Each new Amazon announces her name, Andromeda, Zina, Delphine, Karessi, amd Bia. Mala arrives at the party for her break from guarding Dooms Doorway, but makes no mention of it's breach. Meanwhile, Philippus reminds Nubia that the rotation of the guard who watches Dooms Doorway is approaching, and they will need to find a new champion soon.

A sudden burst of visions poor forth. Queen Nubia sitting on her thrown. A great black wolf, cracking the foundations of Themyscira in half. Blood in spilled, eagles, jaguars, lions and snakes are consumed in fire and smoke. A tree shot with golden arrows. Themyscira is lit in flames, and Diana, clutching a body, cries blood.

Penelope awakens from her nightmare, crying, proclaiming she has seen a vision of the end. Dooms Doorway is cracked open, and Mala is petrified in stone, screaming.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It seems to me that Mala the one at the party, is not the real Mala, those green eyes, mmmm...
    end of spoilers

Good first issue. A lot of world building in the first half.

It is nice to see so many Amazons, both new and old. I look forward to the next issue!

Also:

Eagle - Diana

Lion - Nubia

Jaguar - Yara

Snake - Artemis

Wolf - Hippolyta
    Ok, that is your interpretation? I like it!

Eagle - Diana

Lion - Nubia

Jaguar - Yara

Snake - Artemis

Wolf - Hippolyta
    Oh wow, good eye! I love the choices of animals for each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    spoilers:
    It seems to me that Mala the one at the party, is not the real Mala, those green eyes, mmmm...
    end of spoilers
    Oh, 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Ok, that is your interpretation? I like it!
    Can you blame me for seeing a pattern.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I'm not sure about the snake and the wolf, but they are certainly signs of something... I love the mysteries!!!

The animals are also coming out of The Well of Souls... interesting.

Good, if exposition-heavy, issue.

Agree with Fish that the animals probably represent some of the characters but

spoilers:
    The bloody tree in the vision with the arrows in it, along with the snake remind of the imagery used for Ares in Rucka's run
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Good, if exposition-heavy, issue.

Agree with Fish that the animals probably represent some of the characters but

spoilers:
    The bloody tree in the vision with the arrows in it, along with the snake remind of the imagery used for Ares in Rucka's run
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I agree that the tree is from Rucka's run. The snake, along with the other animals (minus the eagle), are coming out of The Well of Souls though, which makes me think they are representative of certain Amazon's.
    end of spoilers

did my first readthrough of Issue 1 and I really dug it. I like this new interpretation of Nubia's origin. the Well of Souls is a cool concept, though (admittedly) I don't think I'm too crazy about how they pretty much just come out full-formed, for lack of a better term. forgive me if it's a long established concept (I'm not too versed in WW lore) but it feels more like they're just experiencing standard amnesia rather than a full-on rebirth. maybe having them come out as like kids/adolescents and growing into the would've been better or something? iunno, maybe I'll warm up as more is revealed. that nitpick aside, I still dig the concept. I really enjoyed seeing Nubia taking to the queen role and i enjoyed getting to see the Amazons welcome these new women to the tribe. I probably have to reread it for more in-dept thoughts but on first look I'm relatively invested.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-19-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This was fantastic, though I think I might be the only person that doesn't like the new origin for Nubia. Of course it makes sense that she's just like the other Amazons and came from the well of souls, but at the same time I feel like given her previous connection with Diana that they could've done SOMETHING with that. Maybe if Donna currently has her original origin, they could've given Nubia the Jimenez origin for Donna where she was created as a mirror image / companion / sister for Diana. I just really love the idea of the two of them being connected and I'd have loved to see that.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    'Former guardian of Doom's Doorway'. Looks like they are mixing a bit of Perez's origin in there as well.

Have they finally settled on her backstory?
    Doselle Young wrote a great 2-parter featuring Nubia a few decades back in #154-155 where the guardian role was established. He also wrote the ape annual, whichever one that was.

They say the Well of Souls is linked to the will or wishes of the Queen, so for me Hyppolita's desire to be a mother brought Nubia the day Diana was born. That makes her special.
    I also think that the will to reign of Nubia, brought these new Amazons... A new queen, a new people.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    did my first readthrough of Issue 1 and I really dug it. I like this new interpretation of Nubia's origin. the Well of Souls is a cool concept, though (admittedly) I don't think I'm too crazy about how they pretty much just come out full-formed, for lack of a better term. forgive me if it's a long established concept (I'm not too versed in WW lore) but it feels more like they're just experiencing standard amnesia rather than a full-on rebirth. maybe having them come out as like kids/adolescents and growing into the would've been better or something? iunno, maybe I'll warm up as more is revealed. that nitpick aside, I still dig the concept. I really enjoyed seeing Nubia taking to the queen role and i enjoyed getting to see the Amazons welcome these new women to the tribe. I probably have to reread it for more in-dept thoughts but on first look I'm relatively invested.
    Lore-wise Diana is traditionally the only child that was actually born and raised on Themyscira.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    This was fantastic, though I think I might be the only person that doesn't like the new origin for Nubia. Of course it makes sense that she's just like the other Amazons and came from the well of souls, but at the same time I feel like given her previous connection with Diana that they could've done SOMETHING with that. Maybe if Donna currently has her original origin, they could've given Nubia the Jimenez origin for Donna where she was created as a mirror image / companion / sister for Diana. I just really love the idea of the two of them being connected and I'd have loved to see that.
    I think there's something to the fact that Nubia came out of the well the same day Diana was born.

one nice little detail i like is it tells us that Diana and Nubia were born centuries ago. Which confirms the long lifespan for Diana is a thing again

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It's more like reincarnation. The Well of Souls hold the souls of women who lost their lives to male violence and they are reincarnated as Amazons. In some stories they remember who they are but in this one it looks Nubia doesn't remember her past (it will be a while before I get to read the issue). Some details are subject to change as this story progresses though. It's been a while since the Well was important.