Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

lol

Ethnically diverse Amazons make no sense, but a flying lady with a magic lasso does?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm not watching that video because I don't want to put that sort of bigotry in my brain, but I will say that I find it super uncomfortable that several people are so insistent on talking about these characters' genitals instead of celebrating the inclusivity that Wonder Woman had always strived for.
    The issue and this is NOT just Wonder Woman but DC (and Marvel too) that inclusivity has to be consistent.

And the books that do it can't just be Wonder Woman or Static or Batwoman or Nubia.

Bigots are defined by refusal to learn, so we're not gonna waste time to teach
    THIS and a lot of those guys act like that to get clicks for youtube money.

Those guys ONLY look at covers and go off.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    lol

Can we interest them in some the last runs of Wonder Woman and a few of her animated movies?

And Nubia has been around for 40+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Ethnically diverse Amazons make no sense, but a flying lady with a magic lasso does?
    Bigot "logic" makes zero sense.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Even in Greek Mythology, the Amazons were the 'other'. A group of people from outside traditional greek society.

The RL people who inspired the Amazons, also known as the Sycthians were believed to be of Iranian stock. Various descriptions of them show that they were racially diverse. Some were lighter, others were darker.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    When Hippolyta and everyone was created they essentially came out with fresh slates right? They didnt remember their time as Cave Women or their past lives. These are women who are reborn with new bodies, made immortal, and granted whatever the gifts of the Gods were bestowed upon the Amazons of Themyscira. I dont know if them being reborn Amazons with their former memories is the best way to go.
    From Wonder Woman 750 (which I'm sure is out of continuity but now reads like a test run for Young Diana):

Though it's slightly ambiguous as to whether Nubia is referring to her mortal life or the subjugation by Heracles. The dialogue could be read either way.

I always thought the subtext of the Goddesses choosing women who were victims of male violence to become Amazons was because ones who suffered the most from war and violence would be the best ones to ensure a society 'beyond war' and most reluctant to engage in warfare while still being able to defend itself if the need arises. Which would mean they would have to remember their pasts.

I'm drawing a blank of whether the Amazons remembered their past in the Perez run. .

Astonishing Member

It's a mistake to think of the Amazons of Themyscira as a purely Greek society. After all, the name "Diana" is Roman, so their culture includes elements from outside Greece. It's likely that the Amazons came from all parts of Man's World around the Mediterranean, so that would include northern Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindi View Post
    Should you not learn why they don't like it. Because isn't it bigoted to not learn why.
    What a silly, ludicrous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindi View Post
    Shouldn't you watch it to learn why.
    Nah. One thing bigots are is predictable and consistent. It's always variations of the same core fear/hatred. You heard one bigot, you heard them all.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

They don't have any intention to listening to what we have either even while demanding we give their bs consideration.

I could deal with somebody who clueless but open to listening and learning. I have on desire to engage with someone who has already made up their minds and demand that you dedicate your time and mental space to listening to their bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Bigots are defined by refusal to learn, so we're not gonna waste time to teach

I would've made some time to give info if the comments under my blog was "Wait how does this work exactly?" but they went straight to "I wanna kill" "That's it comics is ruined" and "lol how did he get his hormones shipped to the island"

There is not even an information from the book or the author yet, the story just started, we only had a cameo, but they already made that decision.

Then I made a second post interpreting the author's intention (the reincarnation is the transition, she used to have male body and now has a cis woman body), just speaking in general, just like my first Bia post was just an announcement in general, and there's no comment, just spam.

It's been 2 days now, whereas the announcement got hate within the first 8 hours.

So you see, they're not interested to know. They show up only as a reaction for things that inconvenience them, then leave.

Also, about the people who are neutral but side with haters because it's easier than learning, that's not neutral. That count as bigotry too, because they don't want to learn. They choose to make it easy for themselves by not learning, and continue not learning.

All they have to do, if they're neutral, is just take a break. Comics aren't going anywhere, and they don't have to know anything right now. It's a serial publication. Either wait, ask, or discuss, and I can tell whether they actually want a discussion or not by the way they phrase the question.

They don't even have to learn now. It can be later. They just don't need to be a dick about it.
    Thanks so much for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Know there was some disagreement over this yesterday but note that the solicit says this is a 6 issue miniseries.
    Should be no disagreement. A large community says "make new characters"

This is all new characters.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Even in Greek Mythology, the Amazons were the 'other'. A group of people from outside traditional greek society.

The RL people who inspired the Amazons, also known as the Sycthians were believed to be of Iranian stock. Various descriptions of them show that they were racially diverse. Some were lighter, others were darker.
    I feel like between the fact that the Amazons in myth were always described as a vague foreign "other" separate from Greek culture, the Gods in the myths were described as creating the entire race of man, and the Well of Souls is reincarnating women slain by men from all around the world and not just Greece, some racially diverse Amazons has more than enough precedent and thought put into it. We can also add on to the idea of the Amazons liberating slaves from other regions that are brought to Greece or women who hear of their society and travel there from elsewhere to join them.

I can't understand why anyone would be bothered by this besides the obvious. The Wonder Woman IP has played fast and loose with another culture's mythology that it appropriated since 1941. compared to some of the other sweeping changes it has made, some non-white Amazons are a total non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like between the fact that the Amazons in myth were always described as a vague foreign "other" separate from Greek culture, the Gods in the myths were described as creating the entire race of man, and the Well of Souls is reincarnating women slain by men from all around the world and not just Greece, some racially diverse Amazons has more than enough precedent and thought put into it. We can also add on to the idea of the Amazons liberating slaves from other regions that are brought to Greece or women who hear of their society and travel there from elsewhere to join them.

I can't understand why anyone would be bothered by this besides the obvious. The Wonder Woman IP has played fast and loose with another culture's mythology that it appropriated since 1941. compared to some of the other sweeping changes it has made, some non-white Amazons are a total non-issue.
    Heh, Phil Jimenez actually brought up in an interview recently he always found "interesting" that when it comes to WW and Greek Myth people insist it should be "accurate" to the original myths (ignoring how those myths contradict themselves) but on the other hand you don't see many upset over how Marvel's Thor barely resembles what we know about Norse mythology or when people deviate from Egyptian, Aztec, Maya, Hindu myths whenever those pop up.

Wonder Woman's IP has gotta be accurate to Greek mythology! (But ignore the fact that the main characters name isn't even Greek. )

Not to mention in the shared DC universe, their version of Greek mythology is constructed to fit into the DC universe to begin with. It's not going to be accurate no matter which way you splice it, so I've never seen why it was that big a deal.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-29-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~