Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trade in a tech-heavy Themyscira

In a universe with a tech-heavy Themyscira, is there anything they want to trade with the outside world for? I mean, the world would love the purple ray. But what would they need/want? Just because they are more advanced doesn't mean they have all the same things. But what they developed would been along the lines of their wants and needs. Maybe some foodstuffs for variety, because people really do love trading food all over the world. But with such a small population (though I really don't know how big it is), that's not likely to be a great sale, considering shipping costs. Silk and rubber, maybe?

For my headcanon version (as comic versions are so variable), I don't really care if they want to trade or have an embassy or whatnot. I'm just trying to think what they'd want if they did want anything.

Chocolate.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Yeah I like the idea of the amazons eating mexican and chinese food, or a red velvet cake.

Mostly, I think what's important is that they trade culture. I want them listening to Jazz.

Jazz is cool, so was Philippus in the Odyssey being a football fan and Diana listening to hard rock. Cross-pollination is a good thing.

As for the Amazons and the Purple Healing Ray they should get what matters most in Man's World, Money and Power. For such a boon they deserve a seat at the table as great as the X-Men with their Krakoan miracle drugs over at Marvel. If Diana is any indication you know as a nation they'd go nuts over ice cream.

DIANAS MUSIC.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-16-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Zinc? Lithium?

Pharmaceuticals?

I like to think the Amazons have a modern day equivalent of the Library of Alexandria and they trade access to it for stuff they need from the outside world.

If we're going with high-tech amazons I think Greg Rucka had Artemis say it best... there is nothing the outside world has to offer that the amazons would want.

Diana opened the city to the outside world and that might bring in different foods and stuff. However, as far as trade would go, no government body has anything of value to the amazons. And if they would be offering the purple ray, then it wouldn't surprise me if the US tried to reengineer it as a weapon, like how Aretmis had Io do it. It would never be a fair trade and the risk of something bad happening is too high.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Natural resources. They are stuck on an island.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Natural resources. They are stuck on an island.
    For at least 3000 years. I l'm pretty sure they are self sufficient. They're not expanding as a nation nor are they radically transforming the landscape so everything should be fine in terms of natural resources.
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-25-2021 at 01:14 AM.

This is such a tricky thing to pull off. In fact, I think it's so tricky that I'd rather no writer tried it. The world we live in will most likely attempt to do all kinds of horrible things to disrupt what amazons have (from making their tech into weapons to trying to sell them on the concept of "celebrity" and "fame"), so I prefer Themyscira to continue being an uncharted, magical place untainted by the evils of the "outside world."

Both Alpha and HestiasHearth raise good points here, but I still think it's an interesting question, especially since the MCU pretty much gutted Wakanda. That a story is hard to tell is not in and of itself a reason to not tell it, it only means it requires much greater care in doing so (and that I have little confidence in DC here is neither here nor there). Thinking of this can also open up the way to other ideas on how interaction between Amazons and Man's World will look.

First thing is luxury foodstuff. Things like coffee, tea, vanilla, saffron, ginger, and chocolate. Themyscira certainly has its own herbs and spices available, but all of them? Not all of them will become popular with the Amazons, but some of them certainly will.

Medical and pharmaceutical stuff is interesting. An isolated community that suddenly gets contact with the outside world will suddenly become a lot sicker. One obvious solution (if we assume immortal Amazons) is that they simply do not get sick, or have an extremely capable immune system, but then the question becomes how they manage to gain and develop their medical knowledge.

I'm also thinking of stuff like entertainment and culture, and that also points to the ways we reproduce them in modern times (i.e. computers and other electronics).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Medical and pharmaceutical stuff is interesting. An isolated community that suddenly gets contact with the outside world will suddenly become a lot sicker. One obvious solution (if we assume immortal Amazons) is that they simply do not get sick, or have an extremely capable immune system, but then the question becomes how they manage to gain and develop their medical knowledge.
    OP was talking about a version of Paradise Island where they have a healing ray. So they don't need medication.

I'm also thinking of stuff like entertainment and culture, and that also points to the ways we reproduce them in modern times (i.e. computers and other electronics).
    I agree with you but I personally prefer a version of the amazons where they don't use computers. They could have other advanced ways of storing and sharing information. My suggestion being a rope system with inferior versions of the lasso of truth that can store memories. The system would function like a textile factory

Attachment 109601
    Attachment 109602
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-25-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think the point about culture is definitely the one for me. 3000 years of isolation is surely going to mean there are Amazons who are curious about seeing and understanding the world through different perspectives and experiences. If we assume isolation means having zero access to what has happened outside, there's so much for them to learn and understand not just in terms of what has happened in the rest of the world, but the art, literature, ideas, and entertainment that has arisen as a result of those different histories and experiences.

That also makes me wonder if tourism is something the Amazons should theoretically be really interested in. The comics tend to fix the lens more on what happens if outsiders visit the island, but Themyscirans taking holidays in and exploring the rest of the world seems like something many of them would surely want to do, and I imagine there would be a trade for those tourism experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    For at least 3000 years. I l'm pretty sure they are self sufficient. They're not expanding as a nation nor are they radically transforming the landscape so everything should be fine in terms of natural resources.
    I like to think of lack of resources (and environmentalism) are why the Amazons aren't more like Kryptonians and Gorilla City. It's not that they lack the know how, but there are reasonable goals and limiting factors from making their society more high tech. So I like to think if they collectively decided they wanted to be a space-venturing society, they could do it, but they might need some more raw materials to make it happen. That's what the Amazons would trade for, if they decided they didn't want to stand pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    In a universe with a tech-heavy Themyscira, is there anything they want to trade with the outside world for? I mean, the world would love the purple ray. But what would they need/want? Just because they are more advanced doesn't mean they have all the same things. But what they developed would been along the lines of their wants and needs. Maybe some foodstuffs for variety, because people really do love trading food all over the world. But with such a small population (though I really don't know how big it is), that's not likely to be a great sale, considering shipping costs. Silk and rubber, maybe?

For my headcanon version (as comic versions are so variable), I don't really care if they want to trade or have an embassy or whatnot. I'm just trying to think what they'd want if they did want anything.
    Artemis said it best. The Amazons have all they need. The mortal plane would gain but the Amazons would not.

I think it depends. I mean yes there have been places in History where isolated places where they are somewhat more advance but what would cause the amazons to need to be amazon? Like I said if Dc is going to have all these different amazon tribes I would like that they already need each other's exist and can communicate to each other. Now in terms of Themyscira. I don't know we seem to see that the Island at times is used for jailing. So wouldn't they want certain magically weapons? Like if the gates are actually God jails. The Venus griddle. Or the fact that the amazons do fight demons they would need to keep upgrading their weapons.