Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC's Greatest Escape Artist: Mister Miracle Appreciation Thread 2021

Created by: Jack Kirby

First appearance: Scot Free: Mister Miracle #1 (April 1971), Shiloh Norman: Mister Miracle #15 (September 1973).

Abilities: Both Mister Miracles primarily utilize specialized New God technology to achieve their death-defy feats of escape. most notably are:

The Mother Box: The Mother Box is the signature tool of Mister Miracle. Mother Box can access the energy of the Source for various effects such as changing the gravitational constant of an area, transferring energy from one place to another, sensing danger, sensing life, create force fields, re-order molecular structure of matter, absorb or project powerful shock blasts, create electro-webs of atoms, control the mental state of a being, communicate telepathically with a host or other life form, manipulate the life-force of a host to sustain it past fatal injuries, teletransportation, open and close Boom Tubes, and much more.

Costume: Mister Miracle's costume is magnetically sealed, provides protection from damage and fire, and contains numerous hidden pockets; a secret pocket on the upper right arm typically hides their Mother Box. Each glove and boot possesses a secret pocket and the suit has a slim utility belt which contains half a dozen more. Mister Miracle's mask contains circuitry for his Mother Box and a life support unit. The circuits let Scott use his Mother Box hands free while the life support system helps him survive in hostile environments. Mister Miracle's gloves have built-in micro-suction cups, tiny cups that are nearly invisible that can be used to scale walls or cling to ceilings, and also possess wide cuffs that hold Mister Miracle's assorted picks. In addition, the gloves can fire concussive blasts or generate enormous electric power using Source energy and contain a fingertip laser for fine welding or burning. The hidden circuits in the gloves also have the ability to create fission blasts and mini shockwaves. The soles of his boots contain laser-jets capable of burning almost any surface.

Aero Discs: Thin metal plates about a foot across. The New Gods use them for personal travel. They can reach speeds of 250 mph. Scott has modified his discs considerably for the battle. They can be attached to the forearms to use them as shields or blades.

Essential Reading
    • Mister Miracle (1971) by Jack Kirby
    • Mister Miracle Special #1 by Mark Evanier & Steve Rude
    • Tales of the New Gods by John Byrne & Mark Evanier
    • Mister Miracle (1996) by Kevin Dooley & Steve Crespo
    • Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison
    • Mister Miracle (2017) by Tom King & Mitch Gerads
    • Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom by Brandon Easton & Fico Ossio

[stay free my friends...]

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-20-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Show some love to one of DC's most overlooked legacy characters
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Awesome! Mister Miracle Special, Vol. 1 #1 is in my collection, and I enjoy it very much.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Mister_Mi...pecial_Vol_1_1

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XV (May 1986)

Is the current series any good? I wasn't too impressed with his Future State back-ups by the same writer, but I like the character.

Incredible Member

As someone that had near zero interest in the character *and* knew only an average amount (average for a comic book enthusiast) about the character i can say that i enjoyed it. To further clarify ... i opened the title with no (or low) expectations of the character and concluded issue #2 enthusiastic about reading more.

I believe Brandon Easton was the primary reason i bought the title and gave it a chance but there may have been some buzz among a few decades long comic enthusiasts i occasionally refer to as well that put the title on my radar.

There's very little that i didn't like. The only issue that i had was the ever so slight inclusion of some modern day cultural upheaval being included briefly in a panel. I don't disagree with the perspective of the writer / main character but i'd prefer that not be held against the character by potential new readers.

Then again i also like Excellence (written by Brandon Thomas) so ...take that with a grain of salt heh.
    Don't complain. Create.

Been reading Mister Miracle since I was a kid in the 80s..Scott Free is hands down my favorite character in all of comics..I've read it all..

That being said, Scot in Darkseid War is my favorite depiction of him..this is what I always wanted him (and the New Gods) to be..Johns and Fabok modernized them and took them seriously and I am grateful..at the very least I have this to go back to..wish this is was the look and depiction that was expanded upon going forward..though I love King's Mister Miracle, it's a shame that depiction of him has seemingly become the norm

Also, just FYI..just in case your exposure to him has been limited..he's the same or close to the same size as most male heroes in the DC Universe (Barda is just tall)..he's not a little boy

Anyways...Darkseid War!

a02d9a29c15c564709611c5936ea06eb.jpg
    Last edited by ColossusFan; 07-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Last edited by ColossusFan; 07-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.

And a much more accurate depiction of the height difference..which is often completely over exaggerated

GbVLJla~2.jpg
    Last edited by ColossusFan; 07-17-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

What do people think about Mister Miracle 19-25 after Kirby left?

And a much more accurate depiction of the height difference..which is often completely over exaggerated
    Too true. Though I tend towards the original.

What do people think about Mister Miracle 19-25 after Kirby left?
    It's weird. And just so wrong. I tend to forget it exists, it's so much different. Despite what I think are some weaknesses, I really do like the characterization and several ideas from the original Mister Miracle better than any other version I've read.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-17-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Default re-post:

Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom #4 Preview
    Writer: Brandon M. Easton
    Artist: Fico Ossio

currently following:

Mighty Member

Well, I have enjoyed the new Mister Miracle series which has introduced me to another character/s who has also held the mantle. It's not as good as the earlier Mister Miracle series but it's still a good fun read with brilliant kinetic art.

I have only been family with Scott Free as THE Mister Miracle and my hope is that after this mini is over, DC should do a Free and Norman Mr Miracle series.

My one compliant is that Norman is painfully over dependent on the motherbox to the point of almost being woefully incompetent to do anything without it.

No showing of his escape artist skills at all, none!

Secondly, is Thaddeus a new character? ...I have only ever heard of Free and Norman but have never heard of Thaddeus.

Anyhow, I am sticking to this Mister Miracle comic till the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Well, I have enjoyed the new Mister Miracle series which has introduced me to another character/s who has also held the mantle. It's not as good as the earlier Mister Miracle series but it's still a good fun read with brilliant kinetic art.

I have only been family with Scott Free as THE Mister Miracle and my hope is that after this mini is over, DC should do a Free and Norman Mr Miracle series.

My one compliant is that Norman is painfully over dependent on the motherbox to the point of almost being woefully incompetent to do anything without it.

No showing of his escape artist skills at all, none!

Secondly, is Thaddeus a new character? ...I have only ever heard of Free and Norman but have never heard of Thaddeus.

Anyhow, I am sticking to this Mister Miracle comic till the end.
    Thaddeus has been the original Mister Miracle and mentor to Scot and Shilo since Kirby's original series. He wasn't black originally tho.

currently following: