Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which DC creator is this article talking about?

The Hollywood Reporter did a piece on creators rights in an age of movie adaptations, and while the piece itself is worth a read, this bit really stood out to me.

Credit can be so important that it can even lead to surprising behavior. THR learned of an instance in which the co-creator of an A-list DC character secretly maneuvered behind-the-scenes to have themselves listed as the sole creator on paper, with regard to merchandise or adaptations, cutting their partner out of payments. According to a knowledgeable source, the other co-creator only learned of this maneuvering years later when a Warner Bros. theatrical employee noticed the discrepancy ahead of the release of a movie featuring the character. (The wronged co-creator now receives payments, but is said to not be on friendly terms with their former collaborator.)
    I'm wondering who this could be. Given most of DC's big name characters were created in the Golden and Silver ages, most of those creators are already dead. So if it's a relatively recent big name character who has appeared on film within the last few years (or is scheduled to), it's a fairly narrow list.

- Harley Quinn (Paul Dini and Bruce Timm)

- Cyborg (Marv Wolfman and George Perez)

- Helena Bertinelli (Paul Levitz and Joe Stanton)

- Cassandra Cain (Kelly Puckett and Damion Scott)

- Black Mask (Doug Moench and Tom Mandrake)

Yeah I'm not aware of Dini and Timm collaborating anymore, so I find that to be the safest bet. Kind of weird though since Harley Quinn has appeared so often in media.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I haven't heard/read much about Puckett and Scott, but the rest of those guys all have fairly spotless reputations as being great to work with.

But I guess you never know...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I would discard the Wolfman/Perez couple. Their last recent collaboration was in Teen Titans Go! no so much along and they seemed in friendly terms.
    ANyway, it can be chacked by looking at the credits of such movies. If you see a discrepancy, you can guess who is the sinner.
    The article didn't mention Bob Kane and his shameless strategies than perjudicied so many creators?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 07-16-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Sounds like Bob Kane's ghost is up to his old tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah I'm not aware of Dini and Timm collaborating anymore, so I find that to be the safest bet. Kind of weird though since Harley Quinn has appeared so often in media.
    Wonder which one tried to screw over the other if so?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder which one tried to screw over the other if so?
    I'd think Timm would be the more media-savvy one, given his background. But that's just speculation, of course.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Some people on Twitter think it’s Levitz:

I think they’re on to something, what a twist that would be. The guy who made sure DC’s royalties were better than Marvel’s screwing over his co-creator for a bigger take on royalties.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

I think they’re on to something, what a twist that would be. The guy who made sure DC’s royalties were better than Marvel’s screwing over his co-creator for a bigger take on royalties.
    I did find it interesting in that nu52 thing Levitz was listed as the creator of the Huntress, but none of Power Girl's creators were listed. Though PG was certainly the bigger star.

I saw that on FB as well.

The thing is the Helena Wayne Huntress was created by Paul Levitz, Joe Staton, Joe Orlando and Bob Layton. The Helena Bertinelli Huntress was created by Joe Cavalieri and Joe Staton.

The version that appeared in Batman: Brave and the Bold was the Helena Bertinelli Huntress but she was wearing Helena Wayne's costume. Now, this could just be a minor oversight on DC's part. So the question is, who is credited during Helena Bertinelli's other appearances? Was this the only episode where she was incorrectly credited? Who was credited in her appearances on JLU, the Birds of Prey movie and tv show?