Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Looks great. Cant wait. Jurgens is a must buy for me.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This looks pretty great.

Wow, Ted got seriously de-aged. He looks like he’s 20 years old. I always said that him and Jaime could coexist because they are so different (age, powers, etc.), but if Ted is now the younger hero type I guess that doesn’t leave much for the other Beetle.
    Didn't Forever Evil de-age him very young? I remember Kord being younger than Lex and just started getting into the business, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Didn't Forever Evil de-age him very young? I remember Kord being younger than Lex and just started getting into the business, I think.
    Yeah, he seemed much younger. Although he was aged up with Rebirth.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Well, this was pretty good. Not great, sadly, but pretty good. The actual plot was a bit thin and the social media posts that acted as commentary were a bit meh. Nice to see Booster and Beetle back together again, though, even if I do think that Jurgens has a better handle on Booster than on Beetle, and the art was terrific. Hopefully the actual story will get better with this setup out of the way.

A few spoiler thoughts...

spoilers:
    Wait, so did JLI not happen in this continuity because references were made to Jurgens' JLA but not the team as it was before. Plus, there was no interaction with Batman that suggested that they were once on a team before and Ted made a reference to only being part of the Justice League for a few months? This is especially disappointing after the news that Tom King will be using the JLI proper in his Human Target series (though hopefully not as cannon fodder!). Also, they reset these characters a bit too much as Ted looks younger than he was even at the start of JLI and Booster seems to have lost all the respect that he earned over the past few years. Finally, interesting to see that the series ends with them starting up a two-man version of the Super Buddies from the out-of-continuity I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League mini.
    end of spoilers

I love these characters so I'll probably pick up the rest of the series, but not sure if I'll pick them up in single issues. For a Dan Jurgens comic, this felt a bit decompressed, plot-wise.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Spectacular Member

From looking at it, I will enjoy as I like the characters, but hearing they turned Booster back to how he was at the beginning of the JLI, if so I not happy. I really like the Booster Gold version from his 2nd series after Infinite Crisis/52... really liked 'The Greatest Superhero the world has never known'

Astonishing Member

At least the JLA period around the early 90's exist again. The problem with fitting in JLI is John's Shazam and topical humor of the old timeline and USSR stuff and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    I should mention that the animated Blue Beetle short with Ted Kord will be released with Batman: The Long Halloween part 2 on July 27. Be sure to check it out.
    ohhh i did not know this. I will be checking this out.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    At least the JLA period around the early 90's exist again. The problem with fitting in JLI is John's Shazam and topical humor of the old timeline and USSR stuff and more.
    Maybe, but it would suck to lose the classic Giffen/ Dematteis run for the frankly rather less than impressive follow ups. Jurgens' run was fine, even good at times, but it had little of the magic of the best of the Bwahaha years. I generally am OK with the loose approach to continuity that's going on now (often more than ok), but that run was so instrumental in defining these characters that it's hard to properly know what to make of them without it as a firm part of their backstory.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

No offense but it has nothing to do with loose, this is what it is (unless another deboot comes and restores more history). The JLI and bawahahah stories still exist in hypertime and whatever other Earths out there that shared similar history.

Do think DC should at least create new timeline graphs for this post IF universe.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    No offense but it has nothing to do with loose, this is what it is (unless another deboot comes and restores more history). The JLI and bawahahah stories still exist in hypertime and whatever other Earths out there that shared similar history.

Do think DC should at least create new timeline graphs for this post IF universe.
    Well, no. They don't have timelines set in stone, which is the whole point of Infinite Frontier, I thought. I don't think this is a bad thing, really, because the contrast between time passing in-universe and out always leads to complications - I just wish I had a better idea of who these characters are going in. They're hardly brand new or rebooted but without a major part of their past being in continuity, they're not quite who we know either.

Astonishing Member

Post IF, DC and their writers are slowly filling in the blanks with restored history and stuff, just don't expect everything back.

Also it's not like DCYou where stuff isn't meant to match up.

I really liked this issue.
    The action was a nice mix of tense and fun, the dialogue was solid, as was the art. Everything flowed really well imo.

spoilers:
    Naomi really needs to keep her yap shut.

She’s been a hero for oh, about 3 seconds. She has zero idea who B&B actually are. When the conversation regarding their membership and Booster’s status was going on, she should have just listened, learned, and absorbed the example of “inter office politics”.
    I notice Batman, one of the few ppl who knows just how good Booster really is, said nothing, but I get it. Beetle though, proved he’s a class act. No Booster, no Beetle. Heck yeah.
    end of spoilers

It was a fun issue. The art was phenomenal, even if Sook's Ted looks a lot younger than he should. He doesn't look like the same guy who used to be in the JLI when he's out of costume.
    I also find it odd that Jurgens made sure to mention how his less than average JL run is stil canon as if that's the iteration of the team Blue & Gold are better known for.
    Ps: I hope they tone down all the social media comments in future issues, because they can get tiring really quick.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member

Well, this was pretty good. Not great, sadly, but pretty good. The actual plot was a bit thin and the social media posts that acted as commentary were a bit meh. Nice to see Booster and Beetle back together again, though, even if I do think that Jurgens has a better handle on Booster than on Beetle, and the art was terrific. Hopefully the actual story will get better with this setup out of the way.
    Have you read Jurgen's original JLA run by any chance? I thought his take on Beetle was way better than anything that came before it. I actually don't think I want him near anywhere near the rest of the JLI after he mucked up both his JLA/JLI runs, but he can do Booster and Beetle all day long.

In the real world, Booster would be a huuuge social media influencer. Along the likes of Logan Paul. Saving the world competency isn't a criteria of being a social media star.