Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'll bite for a second. Lois has had Lucy Lane as a sister, and whoever Susie Thompkins' mom is as a possible "very in limbo" sister of some variety, but just historically, ever, has she had a brother? In any media, mentioned off-hand as "ugh you're more annoying than my brother" or anything like that? Not that I know of. It's always a sister, and a very continuity-flexible sister/brother-in-law situation with a niece, and then a couple cousins of varying reknown.

But I mean, I'll just throw it out there. I like pulp, I like schlock, and I like soap operatics. But Nightwing has a Sister and now Lois Lane has a Brother? DC Writers are officially out of ideas.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'll bite for a second. Lois has had Lucy Lane as a sister, and whoever Susie Thompkins' mom is as a possible "very in limbo" sister of some variety, but just historically, ever, has she had a brother? In any media, mentioned off-hand as "ugh you're more annoying than my brother" or anything like that? Not that I know of. It's always a sister, and a very continuity-flexible sister/brother-in-law situation with a niece, and then a couple cousins of varying reknown.

But I mean, I'll just throw it out there. I like pulp, I like schlock, and I like soap operatics. But Nightwing has a Sister and now Lois Lane has a Brother? DC Writers are officially out of ideas.
    I feel like the main contention with the Lane family for the past several years has been the fact that Sam Lane had daughters instead of a son and how that shaped the family dynamic.

The idea of a long-lost son or half-brother or whatever...kind of throws a really strong wrench into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the main contention with the Lane family for the past several years has been the fact that Sam Lane had daughters instead of a son and how that shaped the family dynamic.

The idea of a long-lost son or half-brother or whatever...kind of throws a really strong wrench into that.
    Well, don't forget Arnold Schwarzenegger suddenly wound up with that weight-lifting son by the house keeper . . . did Sam have his secret "night of passion" too?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, don't forget Arnold Schwarzenegger suddenly wound up with that weight-lifting son by the house keeper . . . did Sam have his secret "night of passion" too?
    If he knew about it and still treated Lois and Lucy the same way...not a good look for him.

I wish Bendis would stop doing so many double page spreads. Every issue he wastes pages and pages on single shots like this issue's explosion. It adds nothing of value to the story and just makes everything feel even more decompressed.
    This JL run isn't bad, but I wish he had a co-writer to push him further in his writing and stop him from resorting to his overdone ticks.

PS: I really hope Demon Rose isn't really Lois Lane's brother. It would completely change LL's relationship with her dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I wish Bendis would stop doing so many double page spreads...
    Is it Bendis at fault for this or is it more of an art / layout preference?
    There have been a lot of comic books over the past 10-20+ years guilty of too many full page and double-page spreads so that it feels like you're getting less and less actual plot/story.

Then again, when I was a kid, 6-8 panels to a page was the more typical set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is it Bendis at fault for this or is it more of an art / layout preference?
    There have been a lot of comic books over the past 10-20+ years guilty of too many full page and double-page spreads so that it feels like you're getting less and less actual plot/story.

Then again, when I was a kid, 6-8 panels to a page was the more typical set up.
    Bendis always overdoes this. It's in the script, otherwise the artists wouldn't waste two pages for a simple scene that isn't even impactful.

I think it might be why many artists want to work with Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Bendis always overdoes this. It's in the script, otherwise the artists wouldn't waste two pages for a simple scene that isn't even impactful.
    I don't know Bendis' writing style, so I can't say if he gives artists page-by-page / panel-by-panel scripts or if he follows a looser style where he discusses overall ideas and lets the artist have more control over the final layout.

no it's like Factor said. I think Bendis really started doing this more in 2004 with New Avengers.

You can read his past Marvel runs. It isn't new to him
    Last edited by Jabare; 07-22-2021 at 02:43 AM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    . . . You can read his past Marvel runs. . .
    Do I have to?!?

Ollie's a savage - he's got that arrow aimed right at Deathstroke's dick...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ollie's a savage - he's got that arrow aimed right at Deathstroke's dick...
    I guess Ollie doesn't know he wears a cup...

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well really there are two options, 1. Sam Lane hid a brother from Lois/Lois forgot all about him or 2. This is some guy that Sam Lane adopted and raised up to be a soldier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Or he can lied.
    Or he could be Lucy Lane, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Actually, if Lois has a brother, that just makes Sam Lane even worse because he always hard on Lois and Lucy because they weren't the sons he wanted.
    And so Lucy became the son Sam wanted so much. Interesting new dynamic.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    . . . And so Lucy became the son Sam wanted so much. Interesting new dynamic.
    "Son of Sam" may have strange connotations to some of us.