Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CoffinFlop View Post
    Not to get too meta about it, but it's funny to think any comic book character would bat an eye at it given how many times they've all died and came back eventually.
    This is an excellent point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I feel like most X-Men are basically street level and completely unsuited to cosmic adventures. Only the truly big guns like Storm, Magneto, Jean Grey, reality warpers, etc. could hope to hold their own in the same league as Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, or Thanos.

We saw the aftermath of Thanos and his Cabal vs alt reality X-Men. It didn't end well for the mutants.

That’s why I’d like to see it, it’s just like when the Avengers fight Thanos, most of them are under powered to take him on but they still do. In this era, with Krakoa having Apocalypse on their side, I’d really love to see those two throw down.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    It wold be interesting if a panicky Ben Reilly(soon to be Spiderman again) report the X-men what DEATH HERSELF told him. That excessve resurrectio this way taint the sould driving to madnes and evil!
    <i always found this detail interesting, considering that so far those who abused this form of resurrection were only the villains who were quite mad and evil to start with, so it had gone unnoticed so far, but if you look closely you notice that those villains grow more and more insane, each time the come back!>
    Hmm, that would definitely be interesting. Given how Way of X has been addressing the idea that some of the younger Krakoans don't take death all that seriously anymore thanks to the Resurrection Protocols and how that's being set up to backfire on them in the later solicited issues . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    The world at large would probably say keep your damn miracle meds we want virtual immortality too or we'll nuke your islands...
    A nuke to an island with Magneto and Exodus? Good luck with that.

Astonishing Member

I feel that people really overestimate the robustness of the Protocols, when there’s a number of fairly fragile working parts that have been seemingly actively neglected in everyone’s veneration of The Five. The Data crystals for example

Billy (or hell, even a c-list named sorcerer) could snap his fingers and every single Crystal Krakoa has, along with everyone recorded on them, turns to dust

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I feel that people really overestimate the robustness of the Protocols, when there’s a number of fairly fragile working parts that have been seemingly actively neglected in everyone’s veneration of The Five. The Data crystals for example

Billy (or hell, even a c-list named sorcerer) could snap his fingers and every single Crystal Krakoa has, along with everyone recorded on them, turns to dust
    Jaime could do the same thing, so could Proteus. Nuclear deterrents on both sides.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Jaime could do the same thing, so could Proteus. Nuclear deterrents on both sides.
    I’d say the side that nearly indirectly killed Mistress Death might have more to worry about. Both from Thanos, and the Many-Angled Ones

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I’d say the side that nearly indirectly killed Mistress Death might have more to worry about. Both from Thanos, and the Many-Angled Ones
    Yes I have been expecting this issue to be addressed from the mystical side of marvel, the only clue we have was Dr Strange making an observation of Krakoa being full of magic and him asking Cable what they have been doing but Magik asked him why he was there so their talk went back to talking about other issues. So I would very much like a follow up of this because so far Strange seems to trust Magik to handle any kind of mystical problem that could come from Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Agreed Kitty alone could just pass over Cerebro and destroy all the data contained there so I guess this is why all the cerebro units that contain the mutants date are being protected by the Summers, Xavier, Moira X and Magneto because their existence is very fragile and they are neccesary to keep the protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I feel like most X-Men are basically street level and completely unsuited to cosmic adventures. Only the truly big guns like Storm, Magneto, Jean Grey, reality warpers, etc. could hope to hold their own in the same league as Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, or Thanos.

We saw the aftermath of Thanos and his Cabal vs alt reality X-Men. It didn't end well for the mutants.

I believe there was serious jobbing going on here from the X-men because the Xorn brothers could just absord all of Thanos group into a black hole, Phoenix Jean could reduce them to atoms in seconds if it comes to a fight to the death or Magneto could just destroy their nervous system. This without taking in consideration all the different teams ups that can be done by the main X-men like Colosus,Lorna, Havok,Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine, Betsy, Storm, Kitty, Banshee, etc or the New Mutants like Sunspot, Sam, Danielle, Rahne or Magik.

The X-men have been fighthing mutants who can alter reality like Proteus or Legion since the 80´s and demons from other dimensions and also the Imperial Shiar Guard to save Jean´s life with Gladiator who has powers similar to superman and they didn´t have Magneto or the Xorn brothers and Jean had her phoenix powers contained during those years. They are not street level characters at all, their strength comes from having characters that cover almost all kind of powers, mental, physical, elemental and mystical. Thanos army was indeed very strong but they are not at "I can alter the world around you" levels.

Still I appreciate the importance of this scene, Hickman wanted to use Xavier for Secret Wars but he was dead after AvX so he tackled his character here, the importance of this scene is to make an exploration of Xavier regretting his use of the X-men and the younger generation of mutants as child soldiers, which is what really gets to him emotionally speaking but this is also Hickman´s commentary to the state of the X-men franchise at the time because they were send under the proverbial bus(represented here by Thanos army) because of Fox and marvel fight over their rights.

So I appreciate the scene for what it means but for me this doesn´t really reflect what would happen in an actual fight between them on the main marvel universe.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-18-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Umm...Would they even run into these problems because "The Copy Machine Effect" you are referring to doesn't seem to come into play here. They're not making a genetic copy of a genetic copy like was seen with the Asgard in Stargate (and was the root cause of their problems) with the technique the X-crowd are using which seems to be based on growing a new body from the original genetic source material which was apparently lost to the Asgard or they discarded it for whatever reason (most likely thinking they really no longer needed it) at the start their process.
    Maybe not with the genetic material, but there is a good chance it could happen with the stored memories.

Because everyone brought back by the protocol is recieving a copy of their previous version's memories. Meaning once their memories are downloaded and override the previous copy. It's a copy of a copy.

Of course human memories are not the same as cold digital data and subject to constant change and re-examination by their minds.
    Hence why for example the eye-witness reports need to be made as quickly as possible after the events transpired, because the longer the person is processing the events the more their memories can be altered by their mind or influence from other people.

So it's not like there aren't natural "copy machine effects" with memories allready. But that doesn't mean it could not become a factor in why this revival process becomes unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, that would definitely be interesting. Given how Way of X has been addressing the idea that some of the younger Krakoans don't take death all that seriously anymore thanks to the Resurrection Protocols and how that's being set up to backfire on them in the later solicited issues . . .
    I have in the past mused about the lost memories created by the process and how it might over time affect those who are brought back multiple times.

Basicly we have seen that because Cerebro doesn't back up memories every second, there will always be a loss of memories

We also have confirmation (Pixie's sould dagger for example) that Cerebro somehow can pull the soul of the dead mutant into their new body via their memories. However usualy a "soul" in the metaphysical sense of fiction is the collection of a person's "being", memory, character and personality included.

Besides the serious question of how Cerebro can do that and what side effects that should have on the realms they were in, there is the question of what happens when the state of a person's soul no longer reflects their state of mind when the memories were recorded?

For example.
    What happens when a person dies full of regret. But their last set of memories were recorded in a state of happiness and clouded that way? What happens when their soul remembers being in a state that their mind now suggest wasn't how things were?

In case of these youths, we could have the situation where their "souls" remember them dying. But their minds (via their memories) don't and so their sense of dying is clouded by not having negative memories attached to the events.

Cerebro really is the main weakness of the whole thing. The Five are more or less unimportant, which makes it interesting how so much focus is put on them, to the point where it feels intentional by Xavier (i compared it in the past to a magic trick where you distract the viewers with one hand and do the trick with the one they don't focus on).

If someone can attack Cerebro and the stored memories in them they can bring down the whole system with ease.

Even if a new one can be made by Forge, if all Cerebro storages are destroyed they can't bring back anyone who has been dead at the point of destruction anymore.

And then there is the clear fact that magic powers can affect the Cererbos at any time and do "something" to the memories stored on it as seen in Ten of Swords and that wasn't by someone's intention. That was by the very nature of the magic realm in question.

The idea that mutants are immortal now, really shows a lot of hubris. Since they are utterly depending on a machine for it. One few can build, understand and even use.

What happens if one of the Five is killed ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    By the look of it. Revived, either by cloning a new body, or having a spare body allready stored away. If either process takes longer. Use a suitable place holder for the time being.

A replacement (we've seen the data pages detailing some of these replacement) takes the place of the dead member and completes the circuit to resurrect him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

Shouldn't be a big deal. There are a half-dozen viable replacements for Tempus (Tempo, Timeslip, Kiden Nixon, Sway, etc.), a few for Elixir (Triage, Morlock Healer), at least one for Proteus (Jim Jaspers), at least one for Hope, etc. Only Goldballs/Egg, and all he's doing is providing raw meat for them to work with, which *Madrox* can do. Plus they have spare eggs stored away. It's the work of a couple of minutes and some phone calls to ring in a replacement and get them back to life so they can start it up again.

It's not like Sinister and Apocalypse weren't cloning and replacing Marauders and Horsemen and Dark Riders and Nasty Boys for years *by themselves,* so the Five are, frankly, utterly superfluous. (Plus the Shiar tech has been used similarly, and multiple mutants can resurrect the dead *by themselves* including Elixir, Layla Miller, Jim Jaspers, etc. Legion can apparently resurrect *himself!*)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Yes I have been expecting this issue to be addressed from the mystical side of marvel, the only clue we have was Dr Strange making an observation of Krakoa being full of magic and him asking Cable what they have been doing but Magik asked him why he was there so their talk went back to talking about other issues. So I would very much like a follow up of this because so far Strange seems to trust Magik to handle any kind of mystical problem that could come from Krakoa.

Agreed Kitty alone could just pass over Cerebro and destroy all the data contained there so I guess this is why all the cerebro units that contain the mutants date are being protected by the Summers, Xavier, Moira X and Magneto because their existence is very fragile and they are neccesary to keep the protocols.

I believe there was serious jobbing going on here from the X-men because the Xorn brothers could just absord all of Thanos group into a black hole, Phoenix Jean could reduce them to atoms in seconds if it comes to a fight to the death or Magneto could just destroy their nervous system. This without taking in consideration all the different teams ups that can be done by the main X-men like Colosus,Lorna, Havok,Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine, Betsy, Storm, Kitty, Banshee, etc or the New Mutants like Sunspot, Sam, Danielle, Rahne or Magik.

The X-men have been fighthing mutants who can alter reality like Proteus or Legion since the 80´s and demons from other dimensions and also the Imperial Shiar Guard to save Jean´s life with Gladiator who has powers similar to superman and they didn´t have Magneto or the Xorn brothers and Jean had her phoenix powers contained during those years. They are not street level characters at all, their strength comes from having characters that cover almost all kind of powers, mental, physical, elemental and mystical. Thanos army was indeed very strong but they are not at "I can alter the world around you" levels.

Still I appreciate the importance of this scene, Hickman wanted to use Xavier for Secret Wars but he was dead after AvX so he tackled his character here, the importance of this scene is to make an exploration of Xavier regretting his use of the X-men and the younger generation of mutants as child soldiers, which is what really gets to him emotionally speaking but this is also Hickman´s commentary to the state of the X-men franchise at the time because they were send under the proverbial bus(represented here by Thanos army) because of Fox and marvel fight over their rights.

So I appreciate the scene for what it means but for me this doesn´t really reflect what would happen in an actual fight between them on the main marvel universe.
    Yeah, these are these sort of scene to not be taken too literal, and loved your analysis of it.
    (Still make more sense than the one in Old Man Logan where we have to believe tha all t the X-men ESSENTIALLY LET THEMSELVES BEING KILLED BY LOGAN WITHOUT FIGHTING)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Shouldn't be a big deal. There are a half-dozen viable replacements for Tempus (Tempo, Timeslip, Kiden Nixon, Sway, etc.), a few for Elixir (Triage, Morlock Healer), at least one for Proteus (Jim Jaspers), at least one for Hope, etc. Only Goldballs/Egg, and all he's doing is providing raw meat for them to work with, which *Madrox* can do. Plus they have spare eggs stored away. It's the work of a couple of minutes and some phone calls to ring in a replacement and get them back to life so they can start it up again.

It's not like Sinister and Apocalypse weren't cloning and replacing Marauders and Horsemen and Dark Riders and Nasty Boys for years *by themselves,* so the Five are, frankly, utterly superfluous. (Plus the Shiar tech has been used similarly, and multiple mutants can resurrect the dead *by themselves* including Elixir, Layla Miller, Jim Jaspers, etc. Legion can apparently resurrect *himself!*)
    I suspect that the five are necessary to stabilise the process, to prevent the decaying, both physical and spiritual of the subject...
    Examples are many, even the Dark riders and Nadty boys were exempt from that, considering that they too looked more and more unhinged each resurrection ( so is Sinister, and Modok, and the Jackal, and...pretty much everyone who return from death too many times) . Seem that the protocols drop much of the resurrection burden on xavier and the five, Xavier himself told to Scott that everytime he dies and come back a part of Xavier go with him.
    Is risky, there are likely backups and scenarios planned, but is dangerous game playing with death(expecially considering that is a sentient entity who can actively fight back)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I suspect that the five are necessary to stabilise the process, to prevent the decaying, both physical and spiritual of the subject...
    Examples are many, even the Dark riders and Nadty boys were exempt from that, considering that they too looked more and more unhinged each resurrection
    ( so is Sinister, and Modok, and the Jackal, and...pretty much everyone who return from death too many times) . Seem that the protocols drop much of the resurrection burden on xavier and the five, Xavier himself told to Scott that everytime he dies and come back a part of Xavier go with him.
    Is risky, there are likely backups and scenarios planned, but is dangerous game playing with death(expecially considering that is a sentient entity who can actively fight back)
    Good point. And it was mentioned in Hellions how the Marauders came back messed up each time Sinister cloned them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!