Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default One Trick Pony Actors: Actors Great At Only One Type of Role

I was so impressed with Aaron Paul's performance in Breaking Bad that I decided to watch two other films starring him, Welcome Home and Triple 9. Regardless of the fact that these were lame movies, I was disappointed how similar the characters he played were to Jessie Pinkman.

Are there other actors that come to mind, that are great but have limited acting range?

Jackie Chan comes to mind. I mean he plays the Asian guy in every movie he was in!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Rewatched Hobbs & Shaw last night and noticed that now Ryan Reynolds plays the same exaggerated version of himself in everything. It’s not always a bad thing, as I’m not sure he’ll ever be a great actor, and his natural charisma carries a lot.

There are some really highly regarded actors who do this - obviously Christopher Walken and his slightly threatening, unhinged mumbling.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Pretty much every male action star of the 80’s can be said to be a one trick pony.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pauly Shore comes to mind, he was huge in the early 90's but he could only do one thing, stoner slacker, and it got old real fast.

Will Ferrell pretty much runs around in circles and yells in every single one of his movies.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Jeff Goldblum plays the same character in every movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Pretty much every male action star of the 80’s can be said to be a one trick pony.
    I know you said, "pretty much", so I will interject that one of those exceptions is Schwarzeneggar. His characters in "Commando" and "Predator" might as well have been the same guy, but him in "Twins" was not the same performance. I would say he has at least two gears.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-18-2021 at 08:15 AM.

There's a little known Arnold zombie movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_(film) but instead of an action movie it's sort of a tragedy/drama. He got pretty good reviews for that I think.

Stallone I think has some range as well. Rocky and Rambo are actually quite distinct from each other. Heard he's good in Copland as well (an earlier James Mangold movie).

Also it seems that outside of Jurassic Park and some of his older Australian projects, Sam Neill does seem to get cast/most well known in leading roles as a lot of demonic or insane characters (Final Conflict, Event Horizon, Mouth of Madness)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-18-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also it seems that outside of Jurassic Park and some of his older Australian projects, Sam Neill does seem to get cast/most well known in leading roles as a lot of demonic or insane characters (Final Conflict, Event Horizon, Mouth of Madness)
    Gotta defend Sam Neill here, as he actually displays some great range in his roles in Season 1 of The Tudors and Taika Waititi's film Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Stallone is an exception.

There’s a sharp, pronounced difference between his early roles and his action star roles.

Even recently, his Rocky work is quite different from the Rambo and Expendables stuff. Heck, his work in First Blood is quite different from the other Rambo films.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

There's a little known Arnold zombie movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_(film) but instead of an action movie it's sort of a tragedy/drama. He got pretty good reviews for that I think.

Stallone I think has some range as well. Rocky and Rambo are actually quite distinct from each other. Heard he's good in Copland as well (an earlier James Mangold movie).

Sam Neil has very wide range.

Just watched him in Peaky Blinders recently and while he’s a bad guy there, it’s quite different from the stuff I’ve seen him in before.

Sam as Max Lord - what might have been...
    Sam_Lord.jpg

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, I'm scratching my head at Sam Neil's name getting brought up here, while he was never a huge box office draw by himself he's had an an incredibly varied and prolific career in film and television.

I think it's important to make a distinction between one-note actors and actors that are type-cast.

Many actors have a lot a range and can or have played a variety of parts, but are frequently cast as one particular thing (be it villains or comic relief or love interests) for one reason or another.