Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Which is your favourite era of X-Men / other mutant titles?

The first issue of Uncanny X-Men I ever picked up was #174 and I was instantly hooked. I can't explain what it was that chimed with me but I wanted to know as much about the team as I could find out, so picked up quite a few back issues / reprints.

Even though the Mutant Massacre resulted in a big change to the status quo, I still remained a fan because the new team members and writing kept me interested.

For me, the rot set in after the team went through the Siege Perilous and everything I had enjoyed ceased to exist. I stayed with the title, mainly buying out of habit, until Bishop arrived but that was the point I finally gave up. (The introduction of the second title and the plethora of other mutants titles was also a factor).

Since then, I have dipped in to the title sporadically but the only run I have really enjoyed since is X-Men #187 - 205 (collected in the Marauders / Blinded by the Light trades).

The current Krakoa stuff does absolutely nothing for me.

So, my favourite X-Men era is Uncanny #167 - 251 and New Mutants #18-62.

How about you?
    Last edited by Tugger; 07-18-2021 at 07:51 AM.

The Outback era + the Morrison era.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The Outback era + the Morrison era.
    I love the Morrison era:

New X-Men
    X-Statix
    District X
    Nightcrawler

-Pav, who thinks that NC series is very underrated...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Generation X, from the introduction in the Phalanx Covenant until Hama took over, remains my favorite comic "era" ever.

After that it's Morrison's run, if we're talking strictly about mutant centric titles.

The early to mid 90s.

Extraordinary Member

The period from the end of the Dark Phoenix sage until the start of X-Factor, so around Uncanny 140-200, plus the first 54 issues of New Mutants. X-Factor and the return of Jean is when editorial mandates started to get in the way of the stories and characters and started to bring the line down, and it's never recovered from that. Plus New Mutants fell off a cliff in quality after Claremont left, and even Claremont's writing on Uncanny began to decline by the time Inferno was done. But for 5 years it really seemed like the line could evolve into anything and go anywhere before editorial realities ensured the circling back to the status quo no matter how badly it affected the characters.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

The start of All New, All different to about the Mutant Massacre.

Mighty Member

Probably this Krakoa era, it's maybe one of my favourite eras in comics ever.
    Morrison era was pretty great too

BANNED

Mutant Massacre to going through Siege Perilous was peak X-Men.

Rise and fall of the Outback era so from the Mutant Massacre until Adjectiveless X-Men #1.

Honorable mentions… X-Force/X-Statix and PAD’s X-Factor…

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Mutant Massacre to going through Siege Perilous was peak X-Men.
    Damn straight.

Uncanny X-Men #300 (May, 1993) - New X-Men #141 (July, 2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Generation X cause that's when I got into the comics.
    Outback era, the first Vol of New Mutants, Morrison. Academy X/New X-Men. Gillen's Uncanny are my other general faves.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    The start of All New, All different to about the Mutant Massacre.
    This is similar for me, but I'd stretch it out slightly further to around #300. I couldn't wait for the next issue to come out that whole period, I was really lucky, I was the right age to be absolutely dazzled by the All New All Different team right from the start. At the time there wasn't another comic on the rack that came close to that excitement, except maybe Miller's Daredevil part of the way through it.

Mighty Member

Outback.
    This new era is great, but dropping the ball in some areas

#1. The old school Claremont run, all of it, including his New Mutants, Excalibur, Wolverine, etc, all of it. The best.

#2. The Xtreme/New Claremont/Morrison Era. Very interesting takes, nice modernization of classic tropes.

#3. HoX/PoX/Hickman run. Its wildly uneven, but incredibly ambitious. I wish he didn't have to share with so many other writers. Something more concise like his FF or Avengers runs may have been the better play. Still in progress.... we'll see.

Honorable mentions to Generation X/NeXt, 90's X-Force, Pacheco-era 90's X-Men, Alan Davis Excalibur, Haven-era X-Factor, and Inferno-era X-Terminators.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!