Default The United States of Captain America Spoilers Thread

I like Cantwell when he wrote the Doom miniseries, so want to give this a try. I have heard some negative responses by people to the suggestion of a queer Captain America but the story isn’t about Steve Rogers and being queer. It is about courage in a queer character, called Tracks, and what he is like.

spoilers:
    It starts with Steve Rogers with an inner monologue about the American dream, about how Cantwell sees Captain America thinking about it in modern times. It is a good start to the story, and gives a lead in to how it unfolds. Cap gets ambushed, the perp is dressed like Cap and faster than Cap. He gets away, wrecks a train causing a crash with another train and Cap and Sam Wilson meet Tracks dressed as Cap too. Tracks tells Sam and Steve there are more people disguised as Cap around the country helping, so Sam and Cap vow to find them, because the bad guy and some woman who took a shot Aaron Fischer, Tracks, are going after the people dressed as Cap.
    end of spoilers

The idea is interesting to me, because you have to refresh the idea regularly, of what it means to be Captain America. Firstly, unbeknownst to Sam and Steve, people are taking up the mantle of Cap. This is a huge boost to both of them, that the mantle means so much to others. Secondly, it is the powerless taking up the mantle, while the rich and entitled sit and enjoy their luxury. This is courage when you have nothing, and you fight against that. This is the dream Steve Rogers believes in - that it is never reached, but you head towards it anyway.

I am reminded of where Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson come from, and how they started behind the 8 ball very young, and it’s from here that you have to appreciate these two men, (and all the subsequent Caps in this series), that you start out the lowest of the low, but you believe in America. Then, in this series, they fight the entitled and rich who try to sabotage them. What does that say about the American Dream, and why do people fight for it?

I will define Steve Rogers Captain America as this: I am destitute, I don’t care, but I will defend my country.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-19-2021 at 12:09 AM.

All-New Member

Yeah, I really liked the first issue. Aaron Fischer reminds me of a lot of my punk friends who are activists and artists, especially in LGBT+ spaces, that really do work their butts off to make a difference for those in need. You can't really encapsulate the spirit of Cap better than that.

I loved Steve's monologue at the beginning, too. It's nice to see an introspective Steve.

My only complaint with this issue was...Aaron's tattoos They coulda picked something better, IMO. But hey, all in all I really like this new character and the series so far!