Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Anyone else feels like 2011-2020 was Dan DiDio's insane fanfic and now...

...with Infinite Frontier the real DCU is back?

It feels like a lost decade: They spent the first half of the 2010s destroying everything people loved and the second trying to reconstruct it in spite of stuff like Heroes in Crisis. But now with DiDio gone we are back to where we were in 2010 (plus whatever good developments came from New 52/Rebirth) and now we can truly move again. The JSA is back, Post-Crisis Superman married with Lois is back (he's been back for a while, I know), Wally is back, Connor Hawke is back, Barbara is back as Oracle (plus she gets to be Batgirl too!), the history is back. While I don't love every title, Infinite Frontier feels again like the DCU I loved: A place that feels lived-in and with storie histories.

I kinda liked young Superman...

And I like Barbara as Batgirl more than Oracle.

Honestly, most of the reasons I find the current DCU bearable as a whole is because of whatever remains of New 52, new characters entirely (like Naomi) or some already kind of established characters being allowed to displace older ones from their mantles, forcing those into new stories which was sorely needed (such as Clark and Jon Kent, Jackson Hyde and Arthur, etc.).

But I have 0 interest in anything JSA related, and I'd rather DC focused on the Justice Incarnate characters than those old teams who have, IMHO, no place of worth in the current comics medium.

I think that most of the things that have direct ties to Infinite Frontier have been either underwhelming or bad so far.

I mean I would hate to trash anyone, and there was stuff in the new 52 that I actually enjoyed and turned me into a fan of characters and creators that I never read before......but yeah I have to agree about a return to a DC I like to see. I mean characters that I like are back and I feel like history and connections between characters have returns. Personally I'm just excited too look forward and see what is new comes our way out of Infinite Frontier.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post

It feels like a lost decade: They spent the first half of the 2010s destroying everything people loved and the second trying to reconstruct it in spite of stuff like Heroes in Crisis. But now with DiDio gone we are back to where we were in 2010 (plus whatever good developments came from New 52/Rebirth) and now we can truly move again. The JSA is back, Post-Crisis Superman married with Lois is back (he's been back for a while, I know), Wally is back, Connor Hawke is back, Barbara is back as Oracle (plus she gets to be Batgirl too!), the history is back. While I don't love every title, Infinite Frontier feels again like the DCU I loved: A place that feels lived-in and with storie histories.
    I haven't been reading for ages (and mostly only ever read in backissues, so am attached to characterizations/status quos in different eras). While some of this sounds good (yay Connor), my impression is that they put Barry on a bus - that's not okay with me. I do love old-school silver-age Barry and want to see him, and see him in the main universe, with Ralph and Hal and so forth. Plus the reverted (unless they've unreverted again) to Dinah-is-the-daughter-of-Dinah, which I've never liked.

Did they go back to ******* Ollie? Don't care for that. And Jon Kent - what's with him? I do like him, and don't want him out of Lois and Clark's story.

Are the kids (Lian, Jai and Irey, etc.) back, too? I love daddy!Roy. Jai and Irey, I admit, I'd rather age normally, but as long as Wally and Linda have them, that's good.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-19-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Actually, I was reading and enjoying more DC comic books during the New52 than I am now. And while I did like some of the stuff that followed from Rebirth, what I liked usually got cancelled or had a change in direction / writers that was not anything I cared for.

Astonishing Member

Its hard to tell if Infinite Frontier will be better or worse than 2011-2020. I'm not a fan of some directions(Titans Academy and the set up for a variety of bad ends we saw in Future State for multiple characters/ franchises) and the teasing of an upcoming Crisis.

A lot of the stuff feels like empty fanservice that's there to placate disillusioned fans and has no bearings on the overarching plot.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Its hard to tell if Infinite Frontier will be better or worse than 2011-2020. I'm not a fan of some directions(Titans Academy and the set up for a variety of bad ends we saw in Future State for multiple characters/ franchises) and the teasing of an upcoming Crisis.
    I'm not fond of the idea of Titans Academy, so haven't read it. I am sick to death of futures (inevitably dark) being brought in. It's meaningless. It's never going to happen. It's a plotline that's never going to go anywhere, unlikely to have a long-term consequence, tends towards the gritty and "shocking" flavor, and it's not entertaining for me to read. Stories in the here and and now, with no alternate and no future versions of characters would be nice.

I have to agree.
    New52 got off on the wrong foot with me.

First, it pulled the rug out from under all the stuff they were setting up with Brightest Day and Generations Lost.
    Then, when the books that had already been planned were released, they had lost all the history and characterization that defined them.
    It also didn’t help that the first two or three months of New52 were flaunting their leave of the comics code by having a lot of gore.

It ended up being the first time in my life where nothing DC was putting out interested me.

Grayson was, I think, the first book that pulled me back in. And then the short-lived DC You phase that was spawned from Grayson and Batgirl.
    But once Didio got his ship righted back up, DC You was ended and Grayson had to be scrubbed of anything that was making it sell.

And that was that.
    It was back to the New52 norms again.
    And I was back out.

Titans interested me for a bit, but it felt like it was too restrained by editorial.

And Bendis Legion isn’t really making me run to read them, either.

If anything, the current DC reminds me of DC during Blackest Night because of Death Metal and the confusing number of tie-ins.
    I’m just kinda waiting for all that to end so the DCU can return to normalcy.
    But I’m sure the next event will start the month Death Metal ends (if ever).

Edited to add- At least one good thing came out of New52, and that is Justice League Dark boosted the popularities of the mystical characters.
    The first series felt a bit confused about where it wanted to go, and crossing over with the League didn’t help with that. I ended up dropping it right after the I Vampire cross-over.
    The more recent series was pretty good, but I felt more like I was reading it because it was my only choice.
    I do need to go back and finish reading it. I did like it with the moodier art. Too bad it had to be a Justice League title to sell, though.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 07-19-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I’m just kinda waiting for all that to end so the DCU can return to normalcy.
    But I’m sure the next event will start the month Death Metal ends (if ever).
    I don't think there is a "normal" anymore. Like you said, a new event will be starting as soon as each one ends. Sometimes they'll be overlapping. Events sell, unfortunately, so constant events are what we'll get. Constant big changes could theoretically work, though not my style, but in recent years it seems a large percentage of events are rewriting the universe/timesteam, meaning nothing ultimately makes any kind of sense one year to the next.

Much as I love my on-going stories and long-term continuity, that seems dead and gone and moving to self-contained OGN-only seems a better way than this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post

I think it shows that DC lurches from one extreme to another. From Didio's anti-80s/90s stance in bringing back Hal/Barry/Batgirl and destroying marriages to the current extreme of trying to undo everything that he did. DC has no idea of moderation and is more reacting to past decisions than forging a new path.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think it shows that DC lurches from one extreme to another. From Didio's anti-80s/90s stance in bringing back Hal/Barry/Batgirl and destroying marriages to the current extreme of trying to undo everything that he did. DC has no idea of moderation and is more reacting to past decisions than forging a new path.
    Yeah, this.

DC needs to stop hitting the reset button every time someone gets a brain fart about being meta. We're not given enough time, or continuity, to care about new characters or develop any meaningful plotlines with existing ones.

Incredible Member

I hope that with the Warner-Discovery merger that things will get better because even though the merger will not occur until mid-2022 the trades are reporting that Discovery CEO David Zaslav wants the merger to happen as quickly as possible. Besides DC will be under new leadership as Discovery will own half of DC. Another event or reboot will definitely happen.

Incredible Member

Rebirth was terrific until Didio cut it short and ruined it with help from Bendis and King.