Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Batman falls to third

It had to happen, and it finally did. One Piece the little manga that could finally passed Batman to be the number 2 best selling comic of all time. Now only Superman is still standing in its way.

Superman - 600 million
    One Piece - 490 million
    Batman - 460 million

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It had to happen, and it finally did. One Piece the little manga that could finally passed Batman to be the number 2 best selling comic of all time. Now only Superman is still standing in its way.

Superman - 600 million
    One Piece - 490 million
    Batman - 460 million
    Do you have any specifics to go with this?

Are you talking specific issues or something? Overall popularity? Choice of McDonald's Happy Meal themes?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Superman - 600 million
    One Piece - 490 million
    Batman - 460 million
    DC's reply??? 100 more Batman series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Do you have any specifics to go with this?

Are you talking specific issues or something? Overall popularity? Choice of McDonald's Happy Meal themes?
    Those numbers are for individual issues of Batman and "tankobons" (trades essentially) for One Piece.
    Last edited by hairys; 07-19-2021 at 01:34 PM.

"The 490 million is for copies in circulation that are not necessarily all sold, and are not copies printed and sold. The number is not a sales statistic."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ldwide/.175263

400 million just in Japan and 90 million in the rest of world.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    "The 490 million is for copies in circulation that are not necessarily all sold, and are not copies printed and sold. The number is not a sales statistic."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ldwide/.175263

400 million just in Japan and 90 million in the rest of world.
    Hmmm, that sounds like it could be the same distinction that is made for the American direct market -- numbers are for what the comic book stores receive, not necessarily what what the comic book store customer buys.

In any case, One Piece is very impressive whether it is slightly ahead or slightly behind Batman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Those numbers are for individual issues of Batman and "tankobons" (trades essentially) for One Piece.
    That's still really unclear.

Is this guesstimating the sales for every single issue of the title 'Batman'? Is this volume 1 (1940-2011) or all volumes? Or is it every Batman comic ever (including minseries, one-shots, etc)? Where are the numbers coming from?

I'm not disputing it, to me its at best a neat fact, but basically OP has put up some random numbers with a vague context.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    DC's reply??? 100 more Batman series.
    Yeah, why do they continue to support a franchise that has only sold a measly, embarassing, pathetic 460 million issues? Has the world gone mad?! #selltherightstomarvel.

Well, that’s it. Time to give up on Batman.

American comics and Manga have different business philosophies. And long as Batman movies can make those billions, this isn’t even game they care about winning.

congrats to Oda man been doing his thing for 24 years one story and all
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy