Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Least notable most favorite titles

What are some titles you enjoyed that made no long-term impact, and especially those that were largely forgotten or erased, etc.?

For me:

1986 Blue Beetle. The characterization was completely overshadowed/forgotten in favor of JLI Ted. But I liked it, especially the earlier stories.

1984 Blue Devil. He was completely remade later, but it was just fun.

Busiek's Power Company. Interesting (and diverse) cast with a lot of potential, Busiek mined as many corners of the DCU as he could to create fun stories but it didn't catch on and none of the characters have been seen in any meaningful way since, other than being killed.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    What are some titles you enjoyed that made no long-term impact, and especially those that were largely forgotten or erased, etc.?

For me:

1986 Blue Beetle. The characterization was completely overshadowed/forgotten in favor of JLI Ted. But I liked it, especially the earlier stories.

1984 Blue Devil. He was completely remade later, but it was just fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Busiek's Power Company. Interesting (and diverse) cast with a lot of potential, Busiek mined as many corners of the DCU as he could to create fun stories but it didn't catch on and none of the characters have been seen in any meaningful way since, other than being killed.
    Both of you have fantastic answers. I'd add to that Booster Gold's original title. It was way ahead of its time and were celebrity obsessed pop-culture was going. Like Blue Beetle, it was lost in the JLI parody.

Vext, Chronos, Generation Lost.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Both of you have fantastic answers. I'd add to that Booster Gold's original title. It was way ahead of its time and were celebrity obsessed pop-culture was going. Like Blue Beetle, it was lost in the JLI parody.
    I liked that one, too. Though not as much as Blue Beetle. And, like Blue Beetle, it went through a shift in the middle, with me liking the earlier stuff better. But I didn't list it because it did introduce Booster Gold, and his basic backstory kept (though it's been modified), and that seems like a contribution the 1986 Blue Beetle didn't have, since what it made of Ted that was kept was mostly lifted from an older title.

Heckler, dangit!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I could think of more, but right off the top of my head is this underrated gem:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So true.
    The book was just starting to hit its stride.

Definitely, my choice would be...

My Faith in Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I could think of more, but right off the top of my head is this underrated gem:

I agree. I enjoyed that book as well. I thought it was a great use of Dr Mist and I enjoyed the other characters.

The 90s Teen Titans by Jurgens which features probably my favorite version of Ray Palmer. Also, The Power of The Atom from the late 80s.
    The Atom is such a fun character, it’s a shame that DC has no clue what to do with him.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Blue Devil (just plain fun)
    Atari Force (with the source material, you'd expect something juvenile, but I would say it was up there with Marvel's Micronauts)
    Tangent Nightwing (I would've bought an ongoing featuring that team)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

For me:

I agree, the 1986 Blue Beetle.- I was young but I enjoyed pre Bwa Ha! Ha! Ha! Ted Kord when he was a little more serious.

I would add the 1986 The Question run - by Denny O Neil. It added a lot of kung fu lore to DC comics in terms of Richard the Dragon and Lady Shiva.

I would say the template for the modern day Lady Shiva is largely lifted from Denny O Neil's Question run, as he was the editor for the initial Kung Fu series back in the 70's.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

A few spring to mind for me.

Hourman
    Chronos
    Darkstars
    Firestorm (Dan Jolley then Stuart Moore)
    Guy Gardner: Warrior
    Jonah Hex
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I would add the 1986 The Question run - by Denny O Neil.
    That's one of my favorite runs of all time so I may be biased, but I didn't mention it because I see that series as notable enough to not qualify for this thread. (but that's me...)