Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Alan Moore frustration

https://www.cbr.com/alan-moore-leah-...ment-industry/

Well, at least we know now why Moore has been hibernating for the past 30 years. Kind of a shame that he stopped writing comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

Well, at least we know now why Moore has been hibernating for the past 30 years. Kind of a shame that he stopped writing comics.
    Here is the thing. I think Moore has been great. This has been and issue with all art for 2 thousand years. Has it got better I don't know. But as an artist you better go into this industry whether as a a musician, writer, artist or whatever knowing that. Because there are some who worked their way around all of this because they fought for it. And were smart. Now does that make it right? No. But when you go into this industry you better know the problems. If not you will be taken advantage of. It sucks. But it aint new.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-19-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Well, I'm not so sure about the "We..." part.

To be honest, this is "News..." in the same way that -

Jimmy Carter is pretty darned old, and doing a bunch of "Stand Up" stuff for the last thirty years.

News at eleven.
    Is news.

An artist is just creative for a while. Some people are able to renew a lot but it is rather rare. I am just glad I read some of his stuff…
    He didn’t do more? Never mind.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    An artist is just creative for a while. Some people are able to renew a lot but it is rather rare. I am just glad I read some of his stuff…
    He didn’t do more? Never mind.
    This simply isn't true. I know too many artists that stayed creative into their later years. Including comic artists and writers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Here is the thing. I think Moore has been great. This has been and issue with all art for 2 thousand years. Has it got better I don't know. But as an artist you better go into this industry whether as a a musician, writer, artist or whatever knowing that. Because there are some who worked their way around all of this because they fought for it. And were smart. Now does that make it right? No. But when you go into this industry you better know the problems. If not you will be taken advantage of. It sucks. But it aint new.
    It is particularly onerous in comics. In other forms of entertainment, the creative people do enjoy rewards for their creations. Maybe not what they deserve, but not nothing, as happened in comics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

A few weeks ago, on a whim and because I love Watchmen and V for Vendetta so much, I read his entire Swamp Thing run and was completely blown away. I've always felt indifferent toward Swamp Thing, but Moore's writing made me quickly fall in love with him and his world. I pre-ordered the box set that's due out in Oct. I'm also about to start reading Jerusalem, which, considering how much work I have lined up, seems a daunting task.

Moore is a wonderful writer with an obvious passion for comic books. However, I can't imagine the levels of betrayal and frustration he has endured, and I can't blame him for walking away.

Invincible Member

Yeah, but thing is, he's always been pretty open about his disappointment with the industry. It's never been any secret.

Astonishing Member

Moore got too big for his britches.

Mighty Member

Sadly, the industry is made up of stories like Moore's. If you've heard him in interviews in the last 30 years, you can tell he had his heart broken by comics.
    The writers and artists, the People who make up the creative end of the industry barely get anything while the Companies that own the IP make all the money (I want to state, none of the Disney Executives have any hand in making The Amazing Spider-Man, that purely down to the creators and editors, they just sign the checks).

Moore got screwed in the Watchmen deal, and at this point, I think he couldn't care less about it even through he may be proud of the work he did on it. Watchmen itself has been bastardised with Prequels and Sequels. In many regards, he is much alike Ditko, although they align the opposite politically and their frustration may have stemmed from different places, their conclusion is the same.

He’s not been hibernating for the past 30 years!

He done a ton of non-Marvel, non-DC stuff since severing links with the big two.

Very little of it to my personal taste, but demonstrably produced with more thought and skill than very large majority of DC/ Marvel comics from other “star” writers.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 07-20-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Moore got too big for his britches.
    What a horrible take on what happened to him.

Mighty Member

I want to add, Moore still seems to be supportive of those who work in the industry. Donny Cates has said he visited Moore when he was in the UK and they got a picture taken together. And last I heard, him and Quesda are on positive terms at least. I think he remains on good terms with those within the industry, just not in the industry itself.

Well, the fun-making of his grumpiness about the industry is all in fun. Not mean-spirited. I mean, the broken-hearted artist or struggling artist is pretty much a cliche at this point. Due to the way the industry works. We all know there are deep hurts to artists that are made by the comic industry, and Moore is no different from many others. The industry likes to treat artists like dirt and chew them up and spit them out. Ever heard the term "work for hire"? It is nice that his daughter is coming to his defense, sounds like he raised her right.

There are just plain a lot of artists, musicians and other creative types who don't give a fig about business and are shocked when they smack right into it. Personally I wish he would find healing in this because it seems like the things that happened with him are stressing him out. I have my dislikes of his work, but wish only the best for him personally.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

There are a lot of people who put more of their hearts into an industry or a company than they should have done, and got burned for their trouble. Sometimes, it's because they were naive, some were deceived, and in some cases, they deceived themselves. I make no judgement on where Moore falls among those possibilities; the answer may be different for each of his disappointments. It doesn't make how The Big Two conducted themselves any better, or the story any less sad.

Moore's brilliant. Having read his run on Supreme, I wonder how Post-Crisis Superman would have played had Moore been given the three Superman titles back in 1987.