Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, the fun-making of his grumpiness about the industry is all in fun. Not mean-spirited. I mean, the broken-hearted artist or struggling artist is pretty much a cliche at this point. Due to the way the industry works. We all know there are deep hurts to artists that are made by the comic industry, and Moore is no different from many others. The industry likes to treat artists like dirt and chew them up and spit them out. Ever heard the term "work for hire"? It is nice that his daughter is coming to his defense, sounds like he raised her right.

There are just plain a lot of artists, musicians and other creative types who don't give a fig about business and are shocked when they smack right into it. Personally I wish he would find healing in this because it seems like the things that happened with him are stressing him out. I have my dislikes of his work, but wish only the best for him personally.
    I don’t think there’s any real evidence to prove he’s being stressed out…in fact I’ve seen comments from fellow comic professionals that suggest he’s excellent at just ignoring irritating stuff.

My own take on it is that many people that interview him are overly obsessed with his DC/ Marvel relationship and at some point of most interviews will ask him what he feels about that…he will predictably reply that he thinks (with excellent reasons!) that he was poorly treated.

So what? The way I look at it was that if some one asked me about guy I worked for 30 years ago, I will say I was ripped off…but I certainly haven’t lost any sleep in last thirty years thinking about my ex-boss.

Incredible Member

Did Moore ever name names? Comics, and the entertainment industry at large, is basically controlled by a handful of people. (Read about Harvey Weinstein and all the power he had before his downfall). Moore knows/knew who isn't treating creators right; he knows the people who are the root of the problem. If he named names, then I have much respect and sympathy for him. If he didn't, then I still feel those things for him but a little bit less.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I don’t think there’s any real evidence to prove he’s being stressed out…in fact I’ve seen comments from fellow comic professionals that suggest he’s excellent at just ignoring irritating stuff.

My own take on it is that many people that interview him are overly obsessed with his DC/ Marvel relationship and at some point of most interviews will ask him what he feels about that…he will predictably reply that he thinks (with excellent reasons!) that he was poorly treated.

So what? The way I look at it was that if some one asked me about guy I worked for 30 years ago, I will say I was ripped off…but I certainly haven’t lost any sleep in last thirty years thinking about my ex-boss.
    Very sound point.

Yeah, but if you grew up dreaming about doing said profession only to find out that it was filled with scumbags, you might become somewhat disillusioned by it. Maybe not. Everybody is different.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Yeah, but if you grew up dreaming about doing said profession only to find out that it was filled with scumbags, you might become somewhat disillusioned by it. Maybe not. Everybody is different.
    Of course.

And a wide range of people do become cynical as they get older…in my view hardly surprising given many aspects of life.

But often I see threads on Alan Moore exhibit an amazing amount of negativity, based on fairly small evidence.

This very thread started out, for example, with the assertion he had been in hibernation for 30 years. That’s just absurd and non factual…he’s done an immense amount of quality work in that time…just not for Marvel or DC main imprints.

He continues to give a wide range of interviews, and when asked technical questions gives interesting, very thoughtful answers. When asked about DC he will say (completely predictably) he was ripped off.

That overall pattern simply doesn’t strike me as some really disillusioned guy.

Many people just don’t give him the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t understand why…he’s given large amounts of pleasure to millions of people by the sheer quality and variety of his work in comics.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Of course.

And a wide range of people do become cynical as they get older…in my view hardly surprising given many aspects of life.

But often I see threads on Alan Moore exhibit an amazing amount of negativity, based on fairly small evidence.

This very thread started out, for example, with the assertion he had been in hibernation for 30 years. That’s just absurd and non factual…he’s done an immense amount of quality work in that time…just not for Marvel or DC main imprints.

He continues to give a wide range of interviews, and when asked technical questions gives interesting, very thoughtful answers. When asked about DC he will say (completely predictably) he was ripped off.

That overall pattern simply doesn’t strike me as some really disillusioned guy.

Many people just don’t give him the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t understand why…he’s given large amounts of pleasure to millions of people by the sheer quality and variety of his work in comics.
    Seconded. True. Preach. He also seems to enjoy spending time with his kid(s?) and grandkid(s?)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Seconded. True. Preach. He also seems to enjoy spending time with his kid(s?) and grandkid(s?)
    Apparently he is cool if you go to a pub with him.
    He comes across as a very chill guy who wants to talk about magic and Lovecraft.
    He just hates the comic industry. And even then, I think he is on friendly terms with a lot of People in it.

There is a messiness here in that publishers are making money with the stories of superheroes, people who do the right things even if it is difficult. How they treat the people who told the best and most important stories is very off-brand.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets