Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Default New (Old) Sorcerer Supreme

Stephen Strange is hanging up the cloak (Yes! Again!)... this time he's handing it to those who've had it in the past. I know there are a lot of priors but let's look at the most recent users:

Loki, Dr. Voodoo, Margali Szodus, Nina the Conjuror, Demon Rider (Kushala), and good old Sir Isaac Newton.

Using only their actions as Sorcerer Supreme, who had the most powerful showings?

Remove Loki if he was just overdoing it as a God already.
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Loki's sorcery isn't on the same level as Strange's, so he's fine for 'not being overpowered because he's a god'. Also wasn't REALLY the Sorcerer Supreme - he tricked people into believing he held the position, but didn't.

Margali get her wand? I mean, I've read elsewhere all of the wand stuff got retconned, but really, her best feats are with that thing.

Also feats for Kushala? Because if Margeli gets her wand, I'm dubious of any of the others comparing well.

...I guess if we want to get picky, Margali wasn't Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth Dimension, either. But she's here in the thread, so.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 07-20-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Loki's sorcery isn't on the same level as Strange's, so he's fine for 'not being overpowered because he's a god'. Also wasn't REALLY the Sorcerer Supreme - he tricked people into believing he held the position, but didn't.
    Interesting. I read about this entirely second hand and from what I read, I thought he’d tricked the Vishanti into actually appointing him, and then gave the role back to Strange when he thought Strange was ready.

Margali get her wand? I mean, I've read elsewhere all of the wand stuff got retconned, but really, her best feats are with that thing.

Also feats for Kushala? Because if Margeli gets her wand, I'm dubious of any of the others comparing well.

...I guess if we want to get picky, Margali wasn't Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth Dimension, either. But she's here in the thread, so.
    Yeah, Margali Szardos shouldn’t really count.

But if she does, based on the bold, Beyoncé thinks nobody is ready for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Interesting. I read about this entirely second hand and from what I read, I thought he’d tricked the Vishanti into actually appointing him, and then gave the role back to Strange when he thought Strange was ready.
    Hm. I'll need to go back and read it again, but as I recall he did sort of the opposite - tricked everyone into thinking that the Vishanti appointed him (honestly, tricking the Vishanti is a little...out there, even for Loki. Especially considering one of them is a dude who basically lolnopes any kind of illusions or mind-games).

Yeah, Margali Szardos shouldn’t really count.

But if she does, based on the bold, Beyoncé thinks nobody is ready for her.
    ...argh. Another typo.

Anyway, if Margali does count, and has her wand/level of power demonstrated with wand, she should stomp all over everyone here except potentially Demon Rider, about whom I know nothing. Feats include 'creating pocket dimension that mimics Dante's Inferno to a 'T' (and actually affects people within it as if they've travelled to hell, it's not an illusion)', and 'overpowering Classic Strange at the height of his power' - out-blasting him, shattering his Seraphemic Shield, etc, to the point where Stephen was forced to pull out the Dormmamu Protocols (ie, play to her ego and fool her).

Based on how she handled Stephen when they tussled, I'd put her at Umar-at-home level, at the very least.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The answer is simple and I'm surprised nobody's said it.

Sharpandpointies wins.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The answer is simple and I'm surprised nobody's said it.

Sharpandpointies wins.
    I was about to be pleasantly surprised, but then I recalled the title of the thread.

*peers suspiciously*

Is this because of the 'New (Old)' thing?

^_^
    Why are we here?

I was about to be pleasantly surprised, but then I recalled the title of the thread.

*peers suspiciously*

^_^
    Hadn’t you heard?

Old is the new new.

Hadn’t you heard?

Old is the new new.

I'm gonna just sit here and try to work this through...
    Why are we here?

I'm gonna just sit here and try to work this through...
    Don’t over-think it.

I certainly didn’t. If anything it was underthunk.

Don’t over-think it.

I certainly didn’t. If anything it was underthunk.
    ...probably needs some overthinking, then, to balance it out. ^_^
    Why are we here?

*peers suspiciously*

^_^
    No, it was because the earth hasn't been destroyed by unspeakable eldritch monstrosities, so clearly you're involved
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    No, it was because the earth hasn't been destroyed by unspeakable eldritch monstrosities, so clearly you're involved
    Hugely appreciated!

But dude...

...my apartment is on the earth. If the earth goes boom, then so does my apartment. And someone has objections to that.

I can't take credit. ^_^

But really, I know you've been working behind the scenes to keep away the other squamous Eldritch Monstrosities. It's all that Internet you can't live without any more.
    Why are we here?

...probably needs some overthinking, then, to balance it out. ^_^
    I can’t work out if this is a wise observation or if you used up all your wisdom overthinking it.

I’m also not trying to work it out, which might be why.

I can’t work out if this is a wise observation or if you used up all your wisdom overthinking it.
    In retrospect, the latter.

I’m also not trying to work it out, which might be why.
    That's wisdom, right there.
    Why are we here?

That's wisdom, right there.
    It sneaks up on you when you least expect it.

But then I never really expect it.

Wisdom is like breath. It’ll keep you alive but you can’t hold it for long.

(I’m… I’m actually quite proud of that. I hope to see it on a horribly cheesy motivational poster someday.)