Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The Last Duel trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deXQ7vyru3A

Ridley Scott has been inconsistent in recent years but when he hits the mark (Kingdom of Heaven extended cut) he really hits the mark. Looks like a return to form and a period drama. Adam Driver is great, and it's nice to see Matt and Ben onscreen together again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deXQ7vyru3A

Ridley Scott has been inconsistent in recent years but when he hits the mark (Kingdom of Heaven extended cut) he really hits the mark. Looks like a return to form and a period drama. Adam Driver is great, and it's nice to see Matt and Ben onscreen together again.
    I really like the looks of this.

…I like the fact that Ridley Scott seems unlikely to trust only in Driver’s looks to convey why he should have a good role even better; no repeated of The Last Jedi, please. Driver’s damn talented, and that should be used more than just depending on his hair to carry the day. SNl, Logan Lucky… most of Driver’s films have featured directors more aware of how to use his skill set than Rian Johnson in TLJ.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

…Okay, I actually bought the audiobook for this thing, and HOLY ****, this should be a great movie if it can capture any of the human drama and complexity of the actual history. And the caliber of the cast plus Scott as director makes me think it might honestly come down to how much Scott understands he *doesn’t* need to modify or change the actual history, and to keep his more personal flourishes on the story to the undocumented parts, or the segments that the book written about the event doesn’t cover.

Because really, the history seems to show that Comer’s character, Marguerite, should easily be the heart of the film as a sympathetic and inspiring protagonist, like the trailer implies. Damon’s character was historically seemingly a bit of a jealous, short-tempered, acerbic jerk of a flawed human being, but who likely wound up 100% righteous in this one case. The gender politics and prejudices of the time, combined with a highly ceremonial and bureaucratic nature of a still brutally direct “judicial combat” make Marguerite the more impressively brave individual in all this, since she had to risk a horrible death for herself on a system gamed against her.

Scott can sometimes go too far in modifying history, but not always; Gladiator is ahistorical as hell, but still good, while Kingdom of Heaven feels like the changes he made to history are the story’s greatest weak spots.

Personally, I’m hoping that he keeps Damon’s character as a heavily flawed man, and focuses on trying to make it clear that the audience and people of the time have good reason to not like him personally, but be 100% behind him in the duel for Comer’s character’s sake, and perhaps portray a grim kind of “I’ve screwed up way too much in my life, let me do this one thing right” kind of portrayal for him in the moment.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thank you guys for bringing this to my attention. Makes me want to put on my chainmail lol

Extraordinary Member

Just got back from it. Maybe the cleverest twist on the old Rahsomon idea I’ve seen - the perspectives remain different… but not the story’s facts. The most important question is rather firmly answered by a character’s POV even before the victim’s is shown, but done in a way to keep the POV differences intact.

I saw this last night. I like Ridley Scott. I like the actors in the movie. I like medieval films. I was entertained.
    RT score 87% with a 93% audience score.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I saw this last night. I like Ridley Scott. I like the actors in the movie. I like medieval films. I was entertained.
    RT score 87% with a 93% audience score.
    Good to hear. It looked good from the trailers

Astonishing Member

Pretty good movie all right (I hope Jodie Comer's on the way up after Free Guy and this), October might end up being my favorite month of the year for new theatrical releases, depending on how I feel about December.

Has Damon ever do well in period dramas though? They seem to be some of his bigger flops.

Kind of interesting that Jodie was also in the SW sequel trilogy, as Rey's mom for about ten seconds in ROS.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Has Damon ever do well in period dramas though? They seem to be some of his bigger flops.

Kind of interesting that Jodie was also in the SW sequel trilogy, as Rey's mom for about ten seconds in ROS.
    Since everyone keeps whatever accents they want for this one, Damon doesn’t stand out in a bad way at all - and he perfectly nails the character’s temperament and (very myopic) POV in a time period appropriate way.

Cormer dominates the film as it goes on - which is exactly the right move given the film’s subject matter, much like how a lot of its choices were made to ensure that the more important human drama wasn’t swept up in what would be an intuitive (for dudes) action piece. Like, Damon’s character is who you’re ultimately going to want to win in the final duel… but not because you like him at all.

Speaking of the Star Wars connection, I think this movie illustrates how much just focusing on a realistic POV for a characters victim can allow Adam Driver’s hard work to reap more benefits than it did in The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker. His character here starts out as less of a loathsome monster than Kylo Ren did, but when he actually commits his profane act, we’re allowed to hate him because Cormer’s character hates him, so all the little douchebag things Drover sprinkles in his performance isn’t ignored. Rian Johnson spent all of Driver’s screentime in TLJ ignoring all the monstrous tics and emptying Driver was doing in exchange for making Daisy Ridley fawn over him, and screwed up both characters doing so. Here, Cormer gets to just react to the events that are happening in a believable way, s0 both her character and Driver’s are much more defined.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Meh. With Standards and Practices Today, I'm 99.99% I can predict this movie's ending.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Meh. With Standards and Practices Today, I'm 99.99% I can predict this movie's ending.
    What do you mean?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Well, it’s a historically accurate movie based off an actual event, so no **** you can predict this movie’s ending. It happened.

Did they make sure to try and mix in the real contemporary attitudes to the moment with modern da6 events and parallels? Yes. And it worked great.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Just saw it. Great movie, probably Ridley Scott's best in decades. Ben Affleck is so much better as a villain than a protagonist. My only gripe is that it's yet another one of those movies that take place in a non-English speaking country yet everyone is speaking English. This has happened in a thousand other movies though, so you can't get too mad.

Retired

I posted already about THE LAST DUEL on the Box Office thread. I loved it--and the ending had me frantic.

About people speaking one language when they should be speaking another. I'm not angry about it. I recently watched VIKTORIA from Austria, made in the 1950s starring a young Romy Schneider, just before her Sissi trilogy and made by the same people. Even though it's about the young Queen Victoria, everyone speaks German. This almost makes sense since Victoria and her family were probably speaking German in private. It makes less sense when it's Lord Melbourne. But I really wasn't bothered.

When THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING came out in 1988, I was in love with that movie and went to repeated showings. I could live in that movie forever. But that has Daniel Day-Lewis speaking English with a Czech accent--and everyone else speaking English with various accents--even though it's set in Prague. I remember going through serious arguments with myself over whether I should approve of this or not.

Well, a good many of Shakespeare's plays are set in other countries where the people wouldn't be speaking English in iambic pentameter, yet they do!