Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Characters who actively enjoyed being rich

I was just thinking about this. I guess it's sort of a "new money" stereotype. But I mean the ones who actively thought about the fact they were rich. And knew it was awesome. Not saying they never did any good with their money, never improved the world or anything. But they lived like they were rich and acknowledged it was a great lifestyle. Not like golden age Bruce or Ollie to (to a lesser extent, because of age) Mary Bromfield, who were rich, but didn't seem to have the same mentality.

So, who can you think of?

Obviously, Silver Age Sue Dibny. She loved to shop, loved luxury resorts, and so forth.

1986 series Blue Beetle. Cross his palm with the usual outrageous amount of silver if you want him consult.

Silver age Steve Dayton - and he was a jerk, too. But fifth richest man in the world and he wasn't shy about throwing money around.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-20-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm just reading the Savage Velocity trade, and early Post-Crisis Wally West who's just won the lottery and become a multi-millionaire overnight, sure enjoys being rich in a way that you seldom see the likes of Bruce Wayne enjoy.

I suppose you have a point about ''old money'' versus ''new money''. Bruce, being the product of old money, probably isn't really conscious of being 'rich' or living a luxurious lifestyle...its all just normal for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm just reading the Savage Velocity trade, and early Post-Crisis Wally West who's just won the lottery and become a multi-millionaire overnight, sure enjoys being rich in a way that you seldom see the likes of Bruce Wayne enjoy.

I suppose you have a point about ''old money'' versus ''new money''. Bruce, being the product of old money, probably isn't really conscious of being 'rich' or living a luxurious lifestyle...its all just normal for him.
    Excellent choice. Should have thought about him.

Retired

Of course, Sue Dearbon being an heiress (a la Paris Hilton) had all her own money, so she never needed Ralph's support (who made his money by doing public appearances, like Peter Parker's Spider-Man, except he never got his Uncle Ben killed). I imagine Sue had a lot more money than Ralph. Like how Nick Charles lived off his wife's fortune--Nora being another heiress.

Sapphire Stagg always seemed quite happy with her daddy's billions. R. J. Brande a thousand years in the future enjoys spending his money on his pet projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Of course, Sue Dearbon being an heiress (a la Paris Hilton) had all her own money, so she never needed Ralph's support (who made his money by doing public appearances, like Peter Parker's Spider-Man, except he never got his Uncle Ben killed). I imagine Sue had a lot more money than Ralph. Like how Nick Charles lived off his wife's fortune--Nora being another heiress.
    You would think so (or at least, I would have thought so), but that was not the depiction in the comics, despite her being referred to as a debutante. She got money from him when she wanted to shop (which really bugs me, to be honest). She bought herself an expensive chinchilla coat as an apology gift from him. On occasion when doing something luxurious, she said she was glad she married him. She implied (IMO) that her aunt couldn't afford places like Monte Carlo and was excited to be there. But I do not recall that in the silver age did she reference spending her, or even their, money. Just his. Though she did have a rich uncle in the movie business, as I recall. Though maybe only one side of her family had money? Or she just didn't have an inheritance, because her parents didn't give kids money (they inherited on death)? Or it was in a trust fund she didn't have access to yet? I don't know. But they didn't act like she was richer than him back in the silver age, so far as I recall (but I can't say I remember every line). Though I know it showed up post-COIE.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-20-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Booster Gold was all about enjoying his money and celebrity status when he debuted.
    It was the whole reason he came back in time to begin with.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    You would think so (or at least, I would have thought so), but that was not the depiction in the comics, despite her being referred to as a debutante. She got money from him when she wanted to shop. She bought herself an expensive chinchilla coat as an apology gift from him. On occasion when doing something luxurious, she said she was glad she married him. She implied (IMO) that her aunt couldn't afford places like Monte Carlo and was excited to be there. But I do not recall that in the silver age did she reference spending her, or even their, money. Just his. Though she did have a rich uncle in the movie business, as I recall. Though maybe only one side of her family had money? Or she just didn't have an inheritance, because her parents didn't give kids money (they inherited on death)? Or it was in a trust fund she didn't have access to yet? I don't know. But they didn't act like she was richer than him back in the silver age, so far as I recall (but I can't say I remember every line). Though I know it showed up post-COIE.
    You must be right, but I guess I have always subconsciously retconned her into being the one with more money. Why Ralph controls the purse strings is just a man thing. Back then men were supposed to be the one's in charge. But I quietly assume this is one of the many games that Ralph and Sue play to enliven their sex life--she lets him control her money (but in reality he doesn't)--just to spice up the marriage. Given the timeline, I can't imagine that Ralph could have amassed a large fortune from his public appearances--that's just the story he tells. I like to believe it's all coming out of Sue's trust fund, which Ralph manages for her.

You must be right, but I guess I have always subconsciously retconned her into being the one with more money. Why Ralph controls the purse strings is just a man thing. Back then men were supposed to be the one's in charge. But I quietly assume this is one of the many games that Ralph and Sue play to enliven their sex life--she lets him control her money (but in reality he doesn't)--just to spice up the marriage. Given the timeline, I can't imagine that Ralph could have amassed a large fortune from his public appearances--that's just the story he tells. I like to believe it's all coming out of Sue's trust fund, which Ralph manages for her.
    It's best not to think about the money too hard (but I will admit to having tried). Superboy amassed millions (to afford the place in Hawaii) in a few weeks to a few months and yet Booster (with a much better manager) didn't amass nearly so much in a longer timeframe, even when you account for inflation (I know this because I looked for the comic references and put those numbers in an inflation calculator - told you I tried to make it make sense). Then again, he was renting in Metropolis, and, as mentioned, did enjoy spending money, which means accumulating less of it. Though I do find the idea Ralph was actually better at the entertainment/reality-star/money-making game than either of them just a bit hilarious. In DC world, people do want to pay to see Elongated Man. Or a Jeff-Bezos-rich person paid a heck of a lot for a private show.

Can we count Supervillains?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can we count Supervillains?
    I was just thinking of it being okay for heroic characters to like spending, of them not being bad because of it (or it not being treated as a bad trait, for some). But there's fun in villains, too, so go ahead.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The ones I immediately thought of are the civilians. The old lady in Penguin Pain and Prejudice wears a massive gemstone necklace in public on her chest, with bodyguards all around, and of course, got robbed because Penguin wants it for his girlfriend.

Can't think of any heroes or protagonist

Villains, Punchline, when she and Joker got Bruce's money. The moment she got surprised that she can get her shipment of Joker venom so quick, and they can just be prioritized over other shipments or pay off the security. She exclaimed "**** I love being rich"

Joker himself made his own custom limo and drive through Gotham amidst the chaos.

The Penguin can fire his Iceberg Lounge maids if they spill his drink and have people who look at him funny iced.

The Black Glove make entertainment of Batman and can kill with impunity since the club will cover their tracks and evidences and pay off witnesses or officials that may cause trouble. Jezebel Jet plans to beggar her small country to have revenge of Batman if necessary.

Astonishing Member

Interestingly, the CW show has Sue Dearborn as the rich one, while Ralph is a down-on-his-luck ex-cop turned private detective.

Mind you, the CW's Sue is quiet capable of killing Dr. Light with her bare hands as opposed to getting raped by him...which is to say, she's fundamentally a very different character!

I haven't really read much Silver Age Elongated Man and Sue...but if Sue was really the rich one but they depicted Ralph as holding the purse strings, I'll chalk it up to some good old-fashioned 60's sexism (yeah, I hate throwing around words like 'sexism', but it is what it is I guess )

The Zatara's sure could enjoy their hard earned wealth. I think Zatanna would quietly enjoying it maybe with self care or holiday to secluded place for recuperation while her cousin Zach would partying all along.
    RCO022_1468906951.jpg

Oh also Power Girl and Mr. Terrific

Given the timeline, I can't imagine that Ralph could have amassed a large fortune from his public appearances--that's just the story he tells. I like to believe it's all coming out of Sue's trust fund, which Ralph manages for her.
    Oh, I heavily dislike that. It makes him an insecure loser who lies about his wealth (even to his wife, and even before he met his wife) instead of someone who pursued a goal of stretchiness and achieved it and then used success to fund a life he enjoyed. I like a successful Ralph and very much dislike how modern stories (okay, much older than modern now) typically make him a loser, and Sue sort of unfortunate for having married him or having basically taken pity on him or done him a favor. I like some who achieved the impossible, made a great success of himself, and married someone as crazy about him as he was about her.

The Zatara's sure could enjoy their hard earned wealth. I think Zatanna would quietly enjoying it maybe with self care or holiday to secluded place for recuperation while her cousin Zach would partying all along.
    Good call on Zachary. Not sure if Zatanna's ever really been consistent.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    ...Superboy amassed millions (to afford the place in Hawaii) in a few weeks to a few months and yet Booster (with a much better manager) didn't amass nearly so much in a longer timeframe, even when you account for inflation (I know this because I looked for the comic references and put those numbers in an inflation calculator - told you I tried to make it make sense). Then again, he was renting in Metropolis, and, as mentioned, did enjoy spending money, which means accumulating less of it...
    Yeah, making sense of it is pointless, so let me try anyway. Booster was probably blowing a lot more of his cash trying promote himself and to craft an image of wealth than SB was, counting on the investment to hit big later. That seems to land a number of media w***e celebs in bankruptcy court.