Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Bring ‘em Back Alive!
    Tales of the Gold Monkey

Television responses to the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Retired

HANK (1965) about an orphaned teen raising his younger sister on his own, while he attends university disguised as different enrolled students.

OCCASIONAL WIFE (1966)--to advance up the corporate ladder, a young man pretends to have a wife (his boss believes in family values) and he puts up a young woman in an apartment two floors above his own. When he needs her to pose as his wife, she comes down the fire escape.

Not really a short-lived series and not one that people shouldn't remember, but I never see anyone ever talk about HAZEL (1961 - 1966), which starred Shirley Booth. It was one of the most popular T.V. shows on the air at the time--but it's like it never happened. It was about a maid named Hazel and the family she worked for. The female equivalent of MR. BELVEDERE.

THE GOOD LIFE (1971) starring Larry Hagman, Donna Mills and David Wayne, it's about a married couple who find employment as butler and cook to a millionaire, so they may live the good life.

THE GOOD GUYS (1968 - 1970) starring Bob Denver and Herb Edelman as two pals.

IT'S A MAN'S WORLD (1962)--four guys (Glenn Corbett, Ted Bessell, Randy Boone, Michael Burns) live together on a houseboat. Corbett plays an older brother working his way through college and raising his younger brother, Burns, after they've been orphaned.

THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS (1967) about a young man (Monte Markham), his dad (Arthur O'Connell) and his granddad (Monte Markham). The grandfather was frozen in ice and when he unthawed he looked the same as his grandson.

LOVE ON A ROOFTOP (1966) about a newlywed couple played by Pete Duel and Judy Carne.

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (1970) about a newlywed couple played by Scoey Mitchell and Tracy Reed.

Extraordinary Member

The Powers That Be (1992) starring John Forsythe, Holland Taylor, and David Hyde Pierce. A hilarious political comedy about a bumbling politician and his crazy, selfish family. Executive produced by the great Norman Lear and created by the people who created Friends.
    Last edited by caj; 07-21-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think I played that on the PS1.
    Sounds interesting. Did MJ make an appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    From ABC Kids,

W.I.T.C.H.
    (2004)
    Never heard of this. The intro gives off strong Captain Planet vibes. A riff on the concept anyway.
    That's weird. But no matter what, W.I.T.C.H. is an all-time favorite:

Queen of Swords I caught a bit of here and there. On my local affiliate it came on either before or after another little known show I'll add to the mix: Jack of All Trades

EDIT: Meant to add that I could not find the Jack of All Trades intro without someone singing over it.

New Amsterdam....the 2008 edition. When a show of the same name debuted in 2018 I did a double take.
    The 2008 edition plays more like Highlander, in that he's immortal. So the fun of that was there to explore. The 2018 is just another "look at the genius doctor show".
    I know, right?! Sometimes, it can be hard to remember a show's title. But for whatever reason, the intro/theme song is unforgettable.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-21-2021 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Tales of the Gold Monkey
    Television responses to the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    I loved "Tales of the Gold Monkey!" I was a kid, so I don't remember a thing about it other than my fondness for it. I know the guy had a seaplane and a monkey. (there was also a lady and he had a drunk best friend/mechanic??)

Another one:
    INVASION - a post-Lost, X-Files type show starring William Fichtner about a covert alien invasion happening in a town in the Florida swamps. I thought it was pretty good and I had become invested in seeing where it was going to go.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Maximum Bob. A sitcom based on a novel by Elmore Leonard set in rural, redneck Florida. The title character (Beau Bridges) was a cheerfully corrupt judge who got his nickname from always handing out the maximum sentence. Liz Vassey as the young public defender from out of town who comes to give him trouble; Sam Robards as the sheriff. Bob has a trophy wife (a former "mermaid" in an underwater show) who is psychic who channels a long-dead slave girl. Lots of local "characters."

I thought it was pretty entertaining, but it only lasted 7 episodes in 1998.

BANNED

Run Buddy Run and Captain Nice

Grand

To be fair I mostly remember the theme song and, well, the dynamic between the Montgomery Burns-esque character and his bumbling son. Wiki says it was supposed to be a satire of soaps, like a modern-day, well, "Soap" I guess.

Tenspeed & Brownshoe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3zwXzHNH0I

Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum from waaaay back in 1980. I actually thought I’d imagined seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The Powers That Be (1992) starring John Forsythe, Holland Taylor, and David Hyde Pierce. A hilarious political comedy about a bumbling politician and his crazy, selfish family. Executive produced by the great Norman Lear and created by the people who created Friends.
    Its because of this show that in my head canon for the never-seen Maris on Frasier, she looks like Valerie Mahaffey, who played the wife of David Hyde Pierce's character on The Powers That Be.

Interestingly, she actress did show up on Frasier years after Niles and Maris got divorced.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Matt Helm TV Series.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Matt Helm, never heard of that. The intro scenes give it that strong action show montage. Detective show? Private Investigator? Mysterious Agency?
    I'm wondering if it is more in line with Rockford Files, McGuyver(minus the gadgets) or something else more law enforcement. The guy with the pipe strikes me as some "chair guy" like Bosley from Charlies Angels.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Retired

Matt Helm, never heard of that. The intro scenes give it that strong action show montage. Detective show? Private Investigator? Mysterious Agency?
    I'm wondering if it is more in line with Rockford Files, McGuyver(minus the gadgets) or something else more law enforcement. The guy with the pipe strikes me as some "chair guy" like Bosley from Charlies Angels.
    See, MATT HELM would be a show I'd assume everyone remembered (if you were alive at the time). It was heavily promoted. I never watched it but I remember it just from the ads. It was based on a series of novels and before the T.V. show there were a few movies with Dean Martin as Matt Helm.

Tony Franciosa I know best as one of the three Probe agents on SEARCH (the pilot T.V. movie was called PROBE)--Hugh O'Brian was the original Probe and Doug McLure was the other one. Franciosa was also in THE NAME OF THE GAME with Gene Barry.

There were a lot of those tough guy detective shows, like MATT HELM. Such as MANNIX, BANACEK, HARRY O.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

My default for these threads is Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys. Having the pro- and antoginist voiced by the security officers of Babylon 5 and ST:TNG is a bonus.

"I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

It just missed the Vampire Detective trend. It should've been about a Werewolf Detective.... .