Default Adult heroes with grandparents

We were talking about silver-age Sue Dibny's theoretical family money in another thread. And it got me to thinking - at the age she married it was likely that she and and Ralph not only had parents, but also grandparents still living (and the bulk of family money tends to be in the hands of the oldest generation).

While obviously age of first marriage and children have gone down and up over the years, many of these heroes were still in their 20s when they donned the mask and/or cape. Seems statically some of them would have some grandparents still living when they became heroes. I'm not talking about Wally, who was teenager and had Ira, but instead the adults. I know they aren't likely to be plot-relevant, but can you think of any that mentioned living grandparents? That had grandparents show up in wedding or holiday scenes? Anything like that?

It doesn't actually matter, I was just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    We were talking about silver-age Sue Dibny's theoretical family money in another thread. And it got me to thinking - at the age she married it was likely that she and and Ralph not only had parents, but also grandparents still living (and the bulk of family money tends to be in the hands of the oldest generation).

While obviously age of first marriage and children have gone down and up over the years, many of these heroes were still in their 20s when they donned the mask and/or cape. Seems statically some of them would have some grandparents still living when they became heroes. I'm not talking about Wally, who was teenager and had Ira, but instead the adults. I know they aren't likely to be plot-relevant, but can you think of any that mentioned living grandparents? That had grandparents show up in wedding or holiday scenes? Anything like that?

It doesn't actually matter, I was just thinking about it.
    Off the top of my head Ares was the grandfather of the Earth 1 Wonder Woman, but I realize that's an odd example.
    The parents of adult characters were usually portrayed as elderly despite that they should've been middle aged.

Let’s see, when it comes to stuff like this in the dc universe I think we’d need to check the JSA and the Titans. I think Cyclone of the JSA might count, she’s in college and her grandmother is the golden age red tornado.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Let’s see, when it comes to stuff like this in the dc universe I think we’d need to check the JSA and the Titans. I think Cyclone of the JSA might count, she’s in college and her grandmother is the golden age red tornado.
    I guess Vic Stone is a good choice. Still a teen when he became a superhero, but his paternal grandparents were alive.

I really wasn't thinking of legacies and spinoffs (where the grandparent or parent of said her was also a hero) but heroes who were "first generation" heroes. But I didn't specify, so that's on me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-21-2021 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I guess Vic Stone is a good choice. Still a teen when he became a superhero, but his paternal grandparents were alive.

I really wasn't thinking of legacies and spinoffs (where the grandparent or parent of said her was also a hero) but heroes who were "first generation" heroes. But I didn't specify, so that's on me.
    Oh then that makes things a bit harder given the number of legacies and family relationships at DC.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Oh then that makes things a bit harder given the number of legacies and family relationships at DC.
    Yeah, I was just looking for the grandparents to be created for the adult character, rather than being a coincidental remain of a parent being created for a previously-hero parent of the current hero. Or the new hero's backstory being the grandchild of the previously existing hero. Like the entire reason the grandparent is there is because someone created an adult hero and someone thought "hey, s/he's young enough to have living grandparents."

Oh what about Steel? His grandparents were still alive when he started out in his ongoing series. I know he's in the super-family but I don't really count his as a legacy per se considering he's not called Super Steel.
    Words to live by.

Oh what about Steel? His grandparents were still alive when he started out in his ongoing series. I know he's in the super-family but I don't really count his as a legacy per se considering he's not called Super Steel.
    He qualifies, since he doesn't have a biological/adoptive relationship to a character that well...grandfathers in grandparents.

Edit: Blue Devil had a grandmother appear an issue of his series.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-21-2021 at 07:04 AM.