Default Silver Surfer: The Animated Series (1998)

In my opinion, this is Marvel's best animated series to date. It is quite mature and was certainly ahead of its time. The writing is excellent and the animation is wonderful and such a nod to Kirby. I remember when it premiered back in the nineties, but was too young to give it much thought. I recently checked it out on Disney+, binged it, and fell completely in love with it.

Any other fans of this show?

Here's another, much longer clip. So good.

[/VIDEO]

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I was graduating college that Fall semester and felt a bit silly making sure to catch a Saturday morning cartoon.
    However, as you said, it was ahead of its time and probably part of why it failed. It was not really geared to the 6-12yr old set.

Wish there had been several seasons of this show.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Yeah it was pretty good and still holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I was graduating college that Fall semester and felt a bit silly making sure to catch a Saturday morning cartoon.
    However, as you said, it was ahead of its time and probably part of why it failed. It was not really geared to the 6-12yr old set.

Wish there had been several seasons of this show.
    I agree; it was meant more for teenagers and up. It holds up extremely well. I, too, wish it would have lasted several seasons. I recently found the extended summaries for season 2, which include dialogue and screen directions. It would have been great.

http://drg4.dancemania-ex.com/asurf2.html

I plan to revisit it soon. I watched some of it back in the day -- now that I have Disney+ I can fill in the gaps
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I agree; it was meant more for teenagers and up. ....
    http://drg4.dancemania-ex.com/asurf2.html
    The problem with targeting teens for cartoons, in any era, if FOX indeed was intentionally targeting them and not kids is teens are busy. Heck I was getting out of college.
    Teens thru college, on a Saturday are either getting up for a part-time job, going to some sports practice, hungover, sleeping in just because or fill-in-the-blank.

I'm going to check out that link.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Only saw a few episodes, but still remember being mystified that Thanos & Mentor were made brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The problem with targeting teens for cartoons, in any era, if FOX indeed was intentionally targeting them and not kids is teens are busy. Heck I was getting out of college.
    Teens thru college, on a Saturday are either getting up for a part-time job, going to some sports practice, hungover, sleeping in just because or fill-in-the-blank.

I'm going to check out that link.
    Very true. The summaries in the link made the show's cancellation sting more. I believe they were planning on doing the Infinity War.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Only saw a few episodes, but still remember being mystified that Thanos & Mentor were made brothers.

You should try finishing it if you can. It's totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Very true. The summaries in the link made the show's cancellation sting more. I believe they were planning on doing the Infinity War.

You should try finishing it if you can. It's totally worth it.
    LOL! I'm willing to give it another chance. But, the miscoloration of Beta Ray Bill still hurts the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Don't know if it's true but I remember hearing once that the reason Mentor was Thanos brother was because of a typo in the script. And they just went wit it.