Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Brother Nature is my favorite code-name in a long time!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yupp.
    I'm fully over those kiddos and their dumb shenanigans. The most interesting part of this issue was Proudstar and Illyana on the rescue mission. More of that, please. And enough of stupid teens doing stupid and more stupider shyt.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yupp.
    I'm fully over those kiddos and their dumb shenanigans. The most interesting part of this issue was Proudstar and Illyana on the rescue mission. More of that, please. And enough of stupid teens doing stupid and more stupider shyt.
    Past time they were shipped off to study under Pixie and the others how to pose for shotgun blasts......

Spectacular Member

The question that I have is does Rahne actually know what Farouk did to Gabby or at this moment does she just think the kids are messing around with their powers. If I recall she brought Gabby to Farouk but then left the two alone. Will be interesting to see what happens next know that the ploy is exposed and the adults will be brought in

The ongoing problem with this series is that it keeps splitting its time between multiple plots, and not realizing or understanding that some plots are vastly more interesting than others.

The subversion of the angry mob was nice but that entire plot should have been cut. We've gotten too many of these cookie cutter 'rescue random mutant who will never show up again' stories over the years and that subversion isn't enough to justify the pages it took up from the A and B plots. Though the idea that there's rumors that the X-men are stealing kids makes sense. How many stories have we seen of mutants swooping in and taking mutant kids away from bad situations or bad/dying parents? There could easily be things like relatives of those kids out there wondering what the hell happened to their nieces/nephews/grandkids.

These kids are just unforgivably stupid to me. Pulling a Weekend at Bernies to cover up a MURDER because.....they don't like the adults? Martha had no business chewing out Daken like that. I can't believe this plotline is going to be dragged out for another couple months! Meanwhile we'll have Laura paling around with the X-men while fans have to wonder if her sister is going to stay dead and buried. Ugh.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The ongoing problem with this series is that it keeps splitting its time between multiple plots, and not realizing or understanding that some plots are vastly more interesting than others.
    I actually think that's one of the book's biggest strengths. It really feels like there's a lot going on every issue and you're getting a big bang for your buck. To me Ayala is juggling all those characters and plotlines and weaving them all together effortlessly - it's something Howard over on Excalibur often tries to do with much poorer results.

I will say though, the loss of Rod Reis is TRAGIC. Alex Lins does an OK job although this issue looked worse to me than the previous one. But Reis added an extra layer of magic to every page that really complemented Ayala's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I actually think that's one of the book's biggest strengths. It really feels like there's a lot going on every issue and you're getting a big bang for your buck. To me Ayala is juggling all those characters and plotlines and weaving them all together effortlessly - it's something Howard over on Excalibur often tries to do with much poorer results.
    I agree actually. I much prefer this method to what Percy is doing in X-Force where an old plot randomly pops up 10-20 issues later.

That being said I think Vita would benefit from resolving plot points in the order that they introduced them. I’m fine with Shadow King being the ongoing “big bad” of this book but we should know something about his plan by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I agree actually. I much prefer this method to what Percy is doing in X-Force where an old plot randomly pops up 10-20 issues later.

That being said I think Vita would benefit from resolving plot points in the order that they introduced them. I’m fine with Shadow King being the ongoing “big bad” of this book but we should know something about his plan by now.
    I wonder if he even has a sinister masterplan, or if the twist is that he's just trying to help in a really misguided way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy! View Post
    Brother Nature is my favorite code-name in a long time!
    So are the new kids that accompanied Proudstar and Ilyanna pre-existing characters or what? I think I recognized Sprite/Jin Jia (sp?), although she went unnamed, but I don't recall seeing Brutha Nature (who has Nature Girl/Black Tom/Dryad/plant control powers?) or Kappa (who has Rain Boy/hydrokinetic powers?) or 'Leo' (who is apparently telekinetic?) before.

And yeah, all the kids influenced by the Shadow King seem horribly OOC. But lots of people seem OOC in the age of Krakoa. Elixir is practically unrecognizable, as is Proteus, for completely different reasons. Some feel Daken is way OOC as well, although since I like the new Daken, I'm less bothered by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I wonder if he even has a sinister masterplan, or if the twist is that he's just trying to help in a really misguided way.
    I'd been hoping Amal Farouk might turn out to be a decent guy, freed of the Shadow King parasite, just hopeless at NOT appearing to be a sketchy creeper due to some truly epic poor socialization over his time as a host to the Shadow King, but it increasingly seems like that is not the case and the creeper remains a creeper.

Maybe Martha and Cosmar will end up joining the Cruci-ball event once they see no option to be considered for resurrection other than deliberately getting themselves killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So are the new kids that accompanied Proudstar and Ilyanna pre-existing characters or what? I think I recognized Sprite/Jin Jia (sp?), although she went unnamed, but I don't recall seeing Brutha Nature (who has Nature Girl/Black Tom/Dryad/plant control powers?) or Kappa (who has Rain Boy/hydrokinetic powers?) or 'Leo' (who is apparently telekinetic?) before.

And yeah, all the kids influenced by the Shadow King seem horribly OOC. But lots of people seem OOC in the age of Krakoa. Elixir is practically unrecognizable, as is Proteus, for completely different reasons. Some feel Daken is way OOC as well, although since I like the new Daken, I'm less bothered by this.

I'd been hoping Amal Farouk might turn out to be a decent guy, freed of the Shadow King parasite, just hopeless at NOT appearing to be a sketchy creeper due to some truly epic poor socialization over his time as a host to the Shadow King, but it increasingly seems like that is not the case and the creeper remains a creeper.

https://twitter.com/definitelyvita/s...696295941?s=19

All the characters vita made in prisoner x and are appearing in NM.

The approach here is definitely better than Percy's "spin the roulette to see which plot we're getting today" approach. But with the Gabby plot it feels much more pressing at the moment, so having it getting dragged out like this is really frustrating to me.

Again I hate these kids now. "Gabby has always been there for us and always been so nice to us." Really? Cause from what we've seen, the lot of you have been real shitty to her.

Extraordinary Member

The approach here is definitely better than Percy's "spin the roulette to see which plot we're getting today" approach. But with the Gabby plot it feels much more pressing at the moment, so having it getting dragged out like this is really frustrating to me.

Again I hate these kids now. "Gabby has always been there for us and always been so nice to us." Really? Cause from what we've seen, the lot of you have been real shitty to her.
    Teenagers who are completely lacking in self-awareness. What are the odds.

Ultimate Member

That whole scene bugged in a 'show, don't tell' sort of way. *If* the book had shown this sort of stuff from the start, and then called back to it for this scene, then cool, but instead it sort of was hamfistedly backdropped, which feels cheap and unearned. "Oh look at all these reasons we owe Gabby, that we never bothered to show before, but have to quickly establish because we forgot earlier!"

And yeah, the kids, ugh. I like Anole and Martha, so it annoys me to see them so terribly written. (Anole 100% OOC, and mysteriously five years younger than he was five years ago *when he ran Worthington Enterprises*.) And thanks to the writing, I'm probably never going to like Cosimar, having gotten such an unlikable introduction to her.

Rain Boy's occasionally coming across as the voice of reason here, dragged into bad decisions by his friends. Poor schmuck. That's the one who usually suffers the worst consequences as a result of his friends' poor judgement in this sorts of stories, to 'teach them a lesson'...

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Teenagers who are completely lacking in self-awareness. What are the odds.
    Teenagers can actually be surprisingly empathetic, despite how annoying they are. These 4 have got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That whole scene bugged in a 'show, don't tell' sort of way. *If* the book had shown this sort of stuff from the start, and then called back to it for this scene, then cool, but instead it sort of was hamfistedly backdropped, which feels cheap and unearned. "Oh look at all these reasons we owe Gabby, that we never bothered to show before, but have to quickly establish because we forgot earlier!"

And yeah, the kids, ugh. I like Anole and Martha, so it annoys me to see them so terribly written. (Anole 100% OOC, and mysteriously five years younger than he was five years ago *when he ran Worthington Enterprises*.) And thanks to the writing, I'm probably never going to like Cosimar, having gotten such an unlikable introduction to her.

Rain Boy's occasionally coming across as the voice of reason here, dragged into bad decisions by his friends. Poor schmuck. That's the one who usually suffers the worst consequences as a result of his friends' poor judgement in this sorts of stories, to 'teach them a lesson'...
    I thought Anole would be showing up in X-Corp and instead he doing dis... the only acceptable explanation will be if losing Rockslide messed him up and he's secretly been drinking this whole time after his shifts at the bar.