Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New Mutants #20 review *spoilers*

There are three subplots; Karma and Rahne, Gabby and kids, Proudstar and Illyana.

Rahne is pissed off at Karma for trying to be nosy on her friendship with Farouk.

The kids are trying to resurrect Gabby without going through the normal rules by trying to do it themselves without knowing the details of resurrection. They decide to sneak into the hatchery, trying to get the backup of Gabby and using Cosmar's reality warping power.

The kids shared sweet memories of how Gabby treated them.

The ending scene was Rahne finding the kids inside the hatchery.

Proudstar (with Illyana's help) saved a new mutant girl whose seismic mutant power collapsed the house she was living in.
    Last edited by ericng; 07-21-2021 at 08:17 AM.

This was just so good. Vita continues to impress me. The art was very nicely done and fit the tone of the book well.

I absolutely loved seeing the moments of how Gabby was there for each of her friends. I also loved what No girl had to say about how she feels the code name given to her was a way for people to make fun of her because it makes perfect sense. Like she was butchered in a lab, as she said, and instead of fixing it for her the X-men called her No girl.

The scene in Tristan Da Cunha was great. It was a bit cliche but in X-men it was brand new which made it feel good. The girl who power manifested basically was destroying the town but not on purpose ansd when everything calms down Proudstar is holding the little girl and in a case of assumptions going wrong a brawl breaks out because the mutants thing the angry mob is coming to get revenge on the girl but it's the opposite and she is one of them and they think the mutants are trying to steal the little girl which apparently is a rumor going around the MU they didn't believe but now were. James hands the little girl to her mother and the mutants and humans start to fixing the town.

I absolutely adore Kappa so far, who i think is a new mutant. She has hydrokinesis and looks to be asian but not sure. But the art gave her a lot of personality as well as i think Fauna, who got to use his powers in some cool ways.

Overall 10/10 from me this book had heart, and made me feel good.

Oh and how can i forget the Daken conversation with Martha (i will no longer call her No Girl) in Gabby body. Poor guy but martha was revealing Gabby's real feelings which was an overstep but still it needed to happen. Vita is good as making you question the morality of decisions in the story. I like that.

Some of my fave panels.

newmutpan1.jpgnewmutpan2.jpgnewmutpan3.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-21-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Rahne going try to stop gabby ressurection to protect shadow king, really hope Martha outs her as a murder.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Rahne going try to stop gabby ressurection to protect shadow king, really hope Martha outs her as a murder.
    Especially if she outs her to Laura.
    My flag is bacon.

No-Girl was the Queen/MVP for telling off Daken. She had me crying with her clap backs
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Ill have more thoughts BUT Anole, Elixir, and Tempus sounded so OFF to me. I know its a nitpick but its really not that hard to get ages correct.

Extraordinary Member

One of the better issues in my opinion.

The islanders were a nice subversion of expectations with the Krakoans expecting a lynch mob but finding a group who only wanted to protect the new new mutant and still thought of her as as innocent and one of their own. Humans being human was a nice change of pace, and it was good to see Warpath and Magik put their new teaching methods to the test. Combat wasn't the answer but communication was, and the synergy can be used in non-combat situations like putting out fires.

Finally someone other than Gabby notes that Farouk is not trustworthy. It looks like he's using his powers to influence Rahne and not just sweet-talking her given her headache.

Taking control of one the Five - bad idea. You don't mess with someone considered vital to the nation like that.

Rahne being the one to find them means that everyone who is under Farouk's influence is now in one place. If Rahne is under telepathic influence like I suspect she may be, then she'll probably be against them trying to bring Gabby back in order to protect him, which will confirm everything they've been saying about the adults. If not then she'll probably help them.

I'm really upset this is skipping August.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    One of the better issues in my opinion.

The islanders were a nice subversion of expectations with the Krakoans expecting a lynch mob but finding a group who only wanted to protect the new new mutant and still thought of her as as innocent and one of their own. Humans being human was a nice change of pace, and it was good to see Warpath and Magik put their new teaching methods to the test. Combat wasn't the answer but communication was, and the synergy can be used in non-combat situations like putting out fires.

Finally someone other than Gabby notes that Farouk is not trustworthy. It looks like he's using his powers to influence Rahne and not just sweet-talking her given her headache.

Taking control of one the Five - bad idea. You don't mess with someone considered vital to the nation like that.

Rahne being the one to find them means that everyone who is under Farouk's influence is now in one place. If Rahne is under telepathic influence like I suspect she may be, then she'll probably be against them trying to bring Gabby back in order to protect him, which will confirm everything they've been saying about the adults. If not then she'll probably help them.

I'm really upset this is skipping August.
    I'm wondering if Farouk is planning on poisoning the children or something. The getting five drinks scene seem a little there for a reason to me. Either that or was he passing a message on to Rahne and that is why she knew to go look for the kids because she was working the bar. which we saw Anole usually helps out at the bar so was she already covering for him. Vita packs a lot in these issues.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Especially if she outs her to Laura.
    I'd love that. Laura could use a new fur coat

Didn’t really feel like much progressed this week, as the Gabby story was left hanging once again. They sent a non-combat team to an island to avoid aggravating the situation and the first thing they did was attack the locals. Ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Didn’t really feel like much progressed this week, as the Gabby story was left hanging once again. They sent a non-combat team to an island to avoid aggravating the situation and the first thing they did was attack the locals. Ho hum.
    I loved that especially given the data pages. What other group of young mutants can say their first experience on a mission to "save" a manifesting mutant was a mob of humans they got into a fight with only to find out both sides were fighting to protect the mutant. I imagine a lot of awe and laughs when that story starts making it's way across Krakoa with all the bad ones.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Rahne was talking real RECKLESS to Karma and she a better friend than me cause if someone invalidated my trauma like that I would have to cut them off.

I have mixed feelings about all the new mutants added to the rescue scene. I like that Vita is trying to add more queer mutants to the mix, but I feel like they're destined for wallpaper status. If they get cycled in as our main supporting cast after the ongoing plot with Shadow King there may be hope for them, but also there are SO many underutilized young mutants waiting for their moment in the spotlight.

The kids who hijacked Gabby's body really got on my nerves this chapter. They were ready to jump down everyone's throat when they've been the main ones excluding Gabby and gaslighting her this whole run. I understand this is their way of reconciling, but their plan could not have been dumber.

I'm realizing these sound like complaints, but I love how invested I am in this story!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Rahne was talking real RECKLESS to Karma and she a better friend than me cause if someone invalidated my trauma like that I would have to cut them off.

I have mixed feelings about all the new mutants added to the rescue scene. I like that Vita is trying to add more queer mutants to the mix, but I feel like they're destined for wallpaper status. If they get cycled in as our main supporting cast after the ongoing plot with Shadow King there may be hope for them, but also there are SO many underutilized young mutants waiting for their moment in the spotlight.

The kids who hijacked Gabby's body really got on my nerves this chapter. They were ready to jump down everyone's throat when they've been the main ones excluding Gabby and gaslighting her this whole run. I understand this is their way of reconciling, but their plan could not have been dumber.

I'm realizing these sound like complaints, but I love how invested I am in this story!
    Naw i'm on the same page with you, it's definitely investment. Because Cosmar couldn't get me this annoyed if it wasn't investment. Cause i surly was like it's funny how the girl who don't want to be judge and thinking everyone is judging her is always judging evrrrrybody else.

But it doesn't make her wrong.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

These kids need to go in the pit. Bad enough they get her killed, then they weekend at Bernie's her. Ya, throw them in the pit. Or let the Wolverine family go berserk on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    These kids need to go in the pit. Bad enough they get her killed, then they weekend at Bernie's her. Ya, throw them in the pit. Or let the Wolverine family go berserk on them.
    yeah it was so disrespectful