Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Default What Chimeras already exist?

In todays solicits of Hellions #14 it's the first time that Chimeras have been mentioned in the main continuity. It got me thinking if there have been any unofficial Chimeras created. Although very unlikely, it would be cool if Xraven was thrown in the mix because he's the only mutant ik that's a mash up of several other mutants. Im curious to see if there's more out there that I haven't caught.

Incredible Member

A fun theory I had that could maybe be implemented is that Gambit is the first chimera. There have always been rumours that he's Sinister's son or his clone or Claremont's original plan to be an aspect of him. Making him the original chimera developed under the Black Womb Project would be a very interesting way to handle that theory but also dispel it.

Aside from that, Alpha the Ultimate Mutant could be a chimera since he was genetically engineered by Magneto using Deviant technology.

Ahmet Abdol is definitely a prototype chimera made by Mr. Sinister since while he has his own mutation, having Havok's grafted onto him turns him into the Living Monolith.

Then there were Cerebro's X-Men, who were initially assumed to be real mutants but later turned out to be artificial ones that Cerebro created using the memories and genes that it had on sample. Given that these ones weren't wholly genetic and used nanites, they can also be classified as prototypes albeit of the Xavier variety.

It is possible that Longshot and thus Shatterstar count but we don't know anything about how Arize actually made them beyond them being mutants, so personally I would say they aren't.

Maybe Nate Grey would count, since he was spliced from Scott and Jean's DNA - but given that he ended up being in place of Cable when the timeline was rewritten, he'd be more of an honourary member.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    In todays solicits of Hellions #14 it's the first time that Chimeras have been mentioned in the main continuity. It got me thinking if there have been any unofficial Chimeras created. Although very unlikely, it would be cool if Xraven was thrown in the mix because he's the only mutant ik that's a mash up of several other mutants. Im curious to see if there's more out there that I haven't caught.
    It's technically not the first time. In INCOMING Sinister was talking about that he was going to create chimeras in order to circumvent the QCs no cloning rule and was busy trying to collect all of the known Omega Level mutant DNA samples. Also in House of X powers of x Myron mentions that thinks to Xavier and Magneto meddling Mister Sinister became the first chimera.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I actually prefer Nate Grey to Cable.
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    A fun theory I had that could maybe be implemented is that Gambit is the first chimera. There have always been rumours that he's Sinister's son or his clone or Claremont's original plan to be an aspect of him. Making him the original chimera developed under the Black Womb Project would be a very interesting way to handle that theory but also dispel it.
    I like idea that Gambit is a ressurected real Adam Essex (not a clone). It fits most old theories.

Astonishing Member

Something i'd like to point out before people rush to proclaim some powerfull allready existing mutant characters to be chimeras. According to the info pages of the x2 (Life 9) future the first Chimeras (gen 1) were a far cry from the versatile elite warriors with highly combined powers like Rasputin or the black hole creating "gods" of the 4th generation, but relative unimpressive but purpose created mass produced cannonfodder to fight the Sentinels.

So it makes sense to look for mutants who aren't super powerfull, but more those which look like their powers could be a combination of two different or have two wildly different powers.

Though now that i think about it. That could actualy make Emma Frost a potential "artifical" chimera considering to this day her "secondary" mutation (diamond form) makes no sense in combination with her original power (telepathy), so it wouldn't be too crazy if they eventualy reveal that Sinister (or Dark Beast using his knowledge) had experimented on her in the past, splicing her X-gene with another.

Also i admit, as mentioned in the Hellions #14 thread, it's possible Sinister got hints from the other timeline in some way, that he might have skipped over the early development requirements.

As for potential existing chimeras, while i hope it isn't picked up, Dark Beast mentioned to Marrow back in her first appearance that he created her and several other younger Morlocks. Considering that he was a protege to Sinister in the Age of Apocalypse, where Essex had resources and freedom at his disposale far beyond anything he had in the 616 universe (massive number of mutant and normal human slaves, no need to hide, advanced alien technology, smart helpers, etc.), it wouldn't be far fetched to consider that he might have been decades ahead of 616 Sinister when it comes to things like chimeras, which in turn Dark Beast could have picked up as knowledge and applied to the Morlocks he created.

So in theory, there is some potential that Marrow and some other younger Morlocks might have been prototype or gen 1 chimeras in retrospective (though again i prefer her just being a "runt" of a mutant, instead of anything special by design).

Considering that it was later retconned Sinister orchestrated the Morlock Massacre because he identified an immitation of his work in some of them, it would be possible he has also done so in order to keep his early chimera experiments hidden, or was offended by the lower quality of the results (or that they were allowed to live).

Similar one should take a look at the mutants and mutates that were created on Genosha, considering it was also later retconned that the magistrates tech to manipulate mutants or their power development were sold to them by Sugarman who stole it from Sinister in AOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Maybe Nate Grey would count, since he was spliced from Scott and Jean's DNA - but given that he ended up being in place of Cable when the timeline was rewritten, he'd be more of an honourary member.
    I think there is a difference between just splicing the DNA of two mutants together to create a hybrid of two specific mutants and creating chimeras. Since what makes chimeras special is that they can use multiple differently expressed powers invididualy (albeit weaker than the pure expression of natural mutants) or in tandem.

Compared to that Nate Grey isn't that complex in power and more impressive for his raw powers. He is also in that regard just like Cable who is (despite his mother being a clone of Jean) still a natural born child just without the high level of control over his powers.

So i would argue that Nate is still classic hybrid and not a chimera, with the only changes done to him by Essex being the enhanced ability to control his powers.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-05-2021 at 05:15 AM.

If i had to guess and given that HOX and POX made it clear that omega level chimeras are hard to develope i would think sinister would start with what he thought were more passive x-genes and combine those to get a potentially more successful result than adding more active x-genes together so i would expect like the kitty/colossus/nightcrawler combo or something along those lines.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think only Xraven is the only chimera alive at this moment. But I have a strong feeling no writer remembers that creation of Sinister.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Xraven, the Hans, Nate grey, miss sinister, sinister

Xraven, Hans and The Children were genetically engineered by Mr Sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by Synch340 View Post
    Xraven, Hans and The Children were genetically engineered by Mr Sinister.
    Yeah of course

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

The only one that matters:

Last edited by Celestialbodies; 08-05-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

Psylocks kid

Obviously all of these guys

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Obviously all of these guy *pic*
    If i recall right they weren't really living beings and just nano-machine constructs which evil Cerebro created by combining it's stored data of mutants digitaly.

So they are more "concepts" of chimeras.

Weren't they also just disolved by Cerebro after their single encounter with the X-men?

Kind of funny how The Hunt for Xavier for such a forgotten storyline, featured three elements, which were quickly thrown away and then got repeated again years later with much more impact.

First. The idea that Xavier's Shi'ar tech devices could gain self awareness and start rebelling. Back then with Cerebro. Later again with Danger.

Second. That cerebro is designed to cataloge mutants across the world and one can replicate mutants from these stored informations. Which is pretty much the basis for the current resurection process.

Third. Creating amalgamation of existing mutants by combining their powers into singular individuals as with those characters.

One has to wonder how many ideas from the late 90's X-men had a lot more potential if they were presented better or had more dedicated use after their introduction?

Btw. What ever happend to mutant Skrulls as concept?