Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Can a mutant that died fat and old be resurrected young and thin?

spoilers:
    Marauders revealed Harry Leland will be resurrected soon because he helped defeat Nimrod once by making Shaw fall on him with the weight and speed of an asteroid falling of earth, perhaps Leland charging Shaw will become something like the fastball special
    end of spoilers

Can a mutant that died fat and old be resurrected young and thin? Or will they say it's anti-ageism and fat shaming? Kinda like the justification they used for not giving Karma back her leg.
    I don't see any reason to not resurrect a mutant in their physical prime.
    70s Claremont made Magneto a 30 years old man, he explicitely said something like the body of a 30 years old man in his physical prime (he had been turned into a baby by Moira iirc)leland death 1.jpgleland2.jpg
    Last edited by lurkerforyears; 07-22-2021 at 06:12 PM.

In-story, they could. On a meta level, they probably won't for the same reason as Karma, as you said.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

In theory, I would say yes, in practice, due to character’s looks remaining static, I’d say it’s unlikely.

Astonishing Member

I think in the case of Leland it would make sense to make him young and thin, because he is being resurrected for a specific reason, and the first time he died while doing that thing, because the effort was too much for a man in bad shape.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    spoilers:
    Marauders revealed Harry Leland will be resurrected soon because he helped defeat Nimrod once by making Shaw fall on him with the weight and speed of an asteroid falling of earth, perhaps Leland charging Shaw will become something like the fastball special
    end of spoilers

Can a mutant that died fat and old be resurrected young and thin? Or will they say it's anti-ageism and fat shaming? Kinda like the justification they used for not giving Karma back her leg.
    I don't see any reason to not resurrect a mutant in their physical prime.
    70s Claremont made Magneto a 30 years old man, he explicitely said something like the body of a 30 years old man in his physical prime (he had been turned into a baby by Moira iirc)
    Hmmm, not sure why they should. We should not discriminate against people who are not 'Instagram-prove' Or see going and skinny as being perfection.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

In-universe ultimately it's a question of consent, though metatextually how much of that consent in fiction is character driven vs. writer's wishes (or corporate mandate these days) is a topic for discussion.

The character is fat and old because the author wants him or her to be like that.

Jean Grey and Scott Summers should be fat and old. And still they look in their prime. No need to have a resurrection protocol to make a lifting to characters. A stroke of a pen and presto, you have a fit and desirable body.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Yes! In Marvel Voices a new mutant lived until he was old an age but never got to be himself so Daken who was his lover at one point went ahead and brought him back on Krakoa so for the first time he could live open and honest and be himself. He was brought back as a teenager.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

X-Force #17 covered this concept with Quentin Quire's constant requests of "bio-editing" every time he was resurrected. Presumably, if a mutant made such a request to The Five, it would be honored (I know that I would do that!).

We already know they can. Synch was visibly old when he died and he was resurrected in a much younger body

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yes! In Marvel Voices a new mutant lived until he was old an age but never got to be himself so Daken who was his lover at one point went ahead and brought him back on Krakoa so for the first time he could live open and honest and be himself. He was brought back as a teenager.
    It's been giving me things to think about for a little while some of this. I've been thinking things like what if a mutant dies of natural causes? What if they die of old age? I guess it's a given that they can be brought back, an ethical question would be should they be brought back? Then, if the decision is that it's ethical to do so, then how should it be done, so at what age? Today's issue brought it up for me again, but I never considered Leland's weight, more the fact it was a stress related death that made me think.

Good topic this.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I think not. Emma would want him to have a weakness that she can exploit if Leland gets out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    It's been giving me things to think about for a little while some of this. I've been thinking things like what if a mutant dies of natural causes? What if they die of old age? I guess it's a given that they can be brought back, an ethical question would be should they be brought back? Then, if the decision is that it's ethical to do so, then how should it be done, so at what age? Today's issue brought it up for me again, but I never considered Leland's weight, more the fact it was a stress related death that made me think.

Good topic this.
    I don't really think of it in terms of ethical or not, it kind of just is what it is. Like it makes sense to me to bring back mutants how they last saw themselves so there is little to no shock the first time and then if they want like their leg replaced etc it is up to them rather than the five just thinking this is what is perfect for them. I also think mental trauma may play a part, like if you never got to be kid or something. Like i could see rachel wanting to come back young, so a lot of factors.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't really think of it in terms of ethical or not, it kind of just is what it is. Like it makes sense to me to bring back mutants how they last saw themselves so there is little to no shock the first time and then if they want like their leg replaced etc it is up to them rather than the five just thinking this is what is perfect for them. I also think mental trauma may play a part, like if you never got to be kid or something. Like i could see rachel wanting to come back young, so a lot of factors.
    Why would Rahel want to come back as a kid? Thats highly problematic. With her memories and experience, she'd still be an adult, just trapped in a child's body. If she were brought back without any of her adult memories, ten not only does she lose a huge chunk of her life, she'd essentially become a new person as those inform who she is

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why would Rahel want to come back as a kid? Thats highly problematic. With her memories and experience, she'd still be an adult, just trapped in a child's body. If she were brought back without any of her adult memories, ten not only does she lose a huge chunk of her life, she'd essentially become a new person as those inform who she is
    If your really asking. Just objectively speaking i can see how given Rachel's history and all her stories and her now being the only version of herself and given Scott and Jean talk in cable about them being unconventional parents. I can see a world where rachel would create a will where she comes back as kid so she can experience life rather than all the loss she experienced which eventually lead to her being treated as a hound. Judt stray thoughts.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.