Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marauders #22 Spoilers and Review

I have to say I was a little bit caught off guard by the twist towards the end. This issue is broken down into two stories. It starts off the same way with the world reeling from Planet Arrakoa, Emma is drowning her sorrows on a tropical island on Earth and communicating with the Stepford Cuckoos who are out partying on Mars/Planet Arrakoa.

The QC have a meeting about the fallout, however Xavier wants a word about Lourdes with Emma.

Shaw actually had a good idea, his plan was to create a mutant circuit to go back in time with Cerebra and record mutants brainwaves prior to their demise. So actually a very good idea and one I'd like to see happen. Thunderbird can live again.

Cut to that Kessington girl...she's not a Frost. Which is great but I was more interested in the Lourdes story. In short she is the way she is because of trauma.

Anyway cut to Emma having to break the news to Shaw about Lourdes. Lourdes is not dead. We have a retelling of the Classic X-Men story with a twist. Emma offers her telepathic services to Fisk to help hide Lourdes from Shaw. So I wonder who she had to fix for Wilson Fisk. She said they were friends, so basically Emma is now friends with nearly every business person in the MU.

Anyway I won't go in to too much detail but the issue was quite enjoyable. The art at the start was gorgeous, the colouring for the flashback was trying to mimic the Classic X-Men story but I don't know if they managed to quite pull it off.

Forge & the Captains have an idea for a circuit against Nimrod so they have a bunch of mutants pushed up the list for ressurection. So Leland and Shinobi are part of this circuit.

Over all I give it an 8.5/10

Really enjoyed it, loved that Emma has really grown as a person. I have to say I'm loving Marauders.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

I suppose from the next issue glimpse that Tempo will be a member of the circuit.

Emma plot:
    This one was interesting. Emma didn't agree to help Lourdes at first and only did it when it could be used to further her agenda. It was higlighted that it wasn't the way she wanted help, so Emma did it by herself.

Cuckoos plot:
    This one seems like a way of showing how Emma has changed and is actually helping women, which is a good nod to the first issue of Marauders. The Cuckoos put her advise into use but they fucked up. It seems they've flipped some switches in Wilhelmina's mind to fix her but instead it just brought back some deep scars of her spoilers:
    pedo dad
    end of spoilers. In the end they're going to London to confront the brat's dad.

Interesting book. The recklessness of the Cuckoos messing with others' minds to fix them is something new and opposite to what they used to do (like telling Jean about Emma and Scott's affair, giving some kids nightmares just for entertainment or attacking Laura with her fears). I wonder if they could just make the kid forget about what her dad did to her.

About Wilhelmina, I think Aaron's take was a little bit more interesting and it bothers me that women aren't usually portraid as just bad, but they MUST have a reason to be the way they are (see Madelyne, Emma and Cruela as examples). She was a little bit more interesting as the rich psycho girl.

The art was gorgeous, and I ejoyed it a lot, including the flashback scenes.

Overall it's a 9/10.

Kingpin’s Into the Spiderverse body needs to be the standard from now on

Another strong issue. The king Pin hook i found infinitely intriguing, at first i thought they were going to give a twist and say she was Fisk wife this whole time but I really want to find out where Lorders is right now. Really enjoyed the cuckoos here and they sounded like a hive mind or rather a computer processing thoughts. Emma once again was the highlight here. Shaw is up and about and ready to cause trouble again. And Duggan did a great job of making me feel sympathetic for him in an unsympathetic situation.

9/10 from me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member

I never knew Sebastian Shaw was abusive to Lourdes, we knew he was to Shinobi's mother if I recall, but it makes sense. He is an *******.

Is Wilson Risk really a sweet man or is that just the Netflix Daredevil series?

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Is Wilson Risk really a sweet man or is that just the Netflix Daredevil series?
    He seems to have a code. I can see how a man with a code is a sweet man compared to one who will do anything to anyone.

On an aside i also got savage avengers and i keep being hit or miss with that. Too much conan i think. Duggan needs a cast overhaul on that book but the art is so pretty.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This was an interesting one-shot issue based on a relatively obscure Classic X-Men storyline. However knowing Duggan he normally likes to plant seeds for future storylines. Wonder if we will see more of Emma and Fisk’s business deals from the past be brought back up in modern day and maybe Lordes Chantel returning in whatever new identity she took on joining Fisk.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    I never knew Sebastian Shaw was abusive to Lourdes, we knew he was to Shinobi's mother if I recall, but it makes sense. He is an *******.
    I mean it’s not too much of a retcon. In the original Classic X-Men issue based on this story Shaw physically threatened Lordes to do what he told her to do. It makes sense he probably took his energy out on her physically given the nature of his kinetic powers.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Astonishing Member

I give it an 8/10. The retcon was nice but I found the exposition a bit clunky. Also the original solution for Shaw to Ressurect Lourdes was to send a Cerebro back in time??? What the heck? Why not just send somebody back in time have them scan Lourdes and then bring that information back to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Another strong issue. The king Pin hook i found infinitely intriguing, at first i thought they were going to give a twist and say she was Fisk wife this whole time but I really want to find out where Lorders is right now. Really enjoyed the cuckoos here and they sounded like a hive mind or rather a computer processing thoughts. Emma once again was the highlight here. Shaw is up and about and ready to cause trouble again. And Duggan did a great job of making me feel sympathetic for him in an unsympathetic situation.

9/10 from me.
    I agree with all of this.
    Both stories I found very intriguing and I hope we see Lourdes again. It would be a cool bonus if her new alias is someone we actually know in the MU.
    I wasn't initially interested in anything having to do with Wilhelmina but I work in counseling and her story reversed that immediately. I like seeing the Cuckoos, while cleaning up what they did, trying to help her.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

>I read this issue solely for Lourdes Chantel. I'm not sure the story did her any favours. In the original, she was a vehicle for Shaw's story progression. In this one, she's a vehicle for Emma's story progression. I hope she shows up as an independent character in her own right, not someone's pawn or victim.
    >Lourdes Chantel's Wiki is already updated! We X-Fans do not waste time!
    >I was disappointed we didn't get art on par with John Bolton's or even Bolton himself doing the flashback.
    >Oddly, I enjoyed the Cuckoos trying to help an abused child villain more than the main plot. This story had heart and real emotion.
    >Looking forward to Banshee and Tempo next issue but I fear they'll just be more fodder for the Emma & Kitty Show.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Fantastic Member

I'm glad other people enjoyed this issue, but I'm honestly bored with the constant repetition of Emma good, Sebastian bad. I'm not sure why Sebastian is even still in this series. He was interesting as a villain (although he was never allowed to be much of a threat), and now he's been so completely beaten down. Are we going to see him start plotting again, or is he just going to be continually kicked? Unless Lourdes will show up again in the future, it didn't really seem to move the plot along at all, besides further character development of Emma. And honestly, we've already had plenty of that in this series. I would have much rather seen some follow-up on the attack on Christian and the Marauder, at least that would have given the other characters something to do. I guess I'll just look forward to Tempo and Banshee in the next issue.

Astonishing Member

Good issue but now I have conflicting feelings over the Hellfire girl since out of all the brats, I hated her the most due to her constant animal cruelty, now its explained with a tragic traumatic experience? not sure how I feel. I enjoy the issue, color me interested and can't wait for the next issue.