Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Loved him, but have absolutely no confidence that he'll be respectfully used. At best, as a foil to show how much Carol "deserves" the Captain Marvel title.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I don't follow Carol as Captain Marvel but this arc has my curiosity piqued. I'll for sure pick up the trade when it concludes.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    It would be funny if Genis' new name was Spectrum! As if he were a specter, since he came back from the dead

$5 says when he comes back he gonna call himself Pulsar. LOL
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Cautiously optimistic. I actually loved the Kree Warrior look with the green and starfield detailing. Just me?
    The Alex Ross costume! My favorite look for Genis

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Loved him, but have absolutely no confidence that he'll be respectfully used. At best, as a foil to show how much Carol "deserves" the Captain Marvel title.

Peace
    As happy as I am that he's coming back, I'm kind of in the same boat with you. Genis deserves to be brought back in a restorative manner; to be cemented as more than a footnote (which is how he's been treated) in the Captain Marvel legacy. Hopefully he isn't just brought back as a quasi-antagonist or background character to ultimately be discarded.

Fantastic Member

Peace
    Yeah. This is so very much happening, isn't it?

Invincible Member

I wonder if this is a hint as to what might be coming up in the Brie Larson sequel? Perhaps we find out that Annette Bening's character had a long lost son or something...

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    His outfit‘s color scheme fits the GotG.
    I kinda hope he’d join the current team. Ewing could do so much with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wonder if this is a hint as to what might be coming up in the Brie Larson sequel? Perhaps we find out that Annette Bening's character had a long lost son or something...
    That would make sense - and then they could just say that Genis is the father of Hulkling, whose origin could otherwise be comic accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Wait. so monica was the first captain marvel and they took her title and gave it to some white dude?

*off to google.*
    She was the second, and was still using the name when Genis pinched it! Monica unwittingly took the name Captain Marvel without knowing Mar-Vell existed. She did so just after he died too, which caused awkwardness when she and Carol first met. Genis took the Captain Marvel name because it was his Dad's - when first introduced, he was called Legacy.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-22-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hopefully he is brought back as a quasi-antagonist or background character to ultimately be discarded.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Wait. so monica was the first captain marvel and they took her title and gave it to some white dude?

*off to google.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She was the second, and was still using the name when Genis pinched it! Monica unwittingly took the name Captain Marvel without knowing Mar-Vell existed. She did so just after he died too, which caused awkwardness when she and Carol first met. Genis took the Captain Marvel name because it was his Dad's - when first introduced, he was called Legacy.
    I always LOVED Monica as Captain Marvel, basically for her not being a legacy of Mar-Vell. She was a great character, who got the approval of Mar-Vell comrades in armas (the Avengers and Eros), but in no way did she threaten the story of Mar-Vell (a character I always liked quite a lot) for having no connection to it (as is the case of most Legacies). IMHO, Roger Stern handled that vey well. IMHO, for many years, she lost a bit of her luster when she lost the name of Captain Marvel. Only in recent years, when Ewing started working on her, did she regain a bit her status (but, IMHO, she still needs a remarkable super-hero name). Genis-vell eventually did win me over (didn't like him at first), and that's all PAD's merit and the great relationship he developed between "Genny" and Rick Jones.

Peace

PS: Just to be clear. I love Monica and I love Genis. Had he not been created, or continued a forgetable loser as he was created, I'd be fine with her being Captain Marvel. Since they created him (and actually developed him into a great character), I think it makes the most sense for HIM to carry on the title. I honestly never saw a reason for Carol to be Captain Marvel, other then... 'why not?'
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-22-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hopefully he is brought back as a quasi-antagonist or background character to ultimately be discarded.
    That would ruffle some feathers...

I always LOVED Monica as Captain Marvel, basically for her not being a legacy of Mar-Vell. She was a great character, who got the approval of Mar-Vell comrades in armas (the Avengers and Eros), but in no way did she threaten the story of Mar-Vell (a character I always liked quite a lot) for having no connection to it (as is the case of most Legacies). IMHO, Roger Stern handled that vey well. IMHO, for many years, she lost a bit of her luster when she lost the name of Captain Marvel. Only in recent years, when Ewing started working on her, did she regain a bit her status (but, IMHO, she still needs a remarkable super-hero name). Genis-vell eventually did win me over (didn't like him at first), and that's all PAD's merit and the great relationship he developed between "Genny" and Rick Jones.

Peace

PS: Just to be clear. I love Monica and I love Genis. Had he not been created, or continued a forgetable loser as he was created, I'd be fine with her being Captain Marvel. Since they created him (and actually developed him into a great character), I think it makes the most sense for HIM to carry on the title. I honestly never saw a reason for Carol to be Captain Marvel, other then... 'why not?'
    Probably trademark renewal and the desire to have a new name to go with the new costume?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably trademark renewal and the desire to have a new name to go with the new costume?
    I also feel like they wanted to elevate Carol to that Wonder Woman level of iconography, and maybe felt like being named Ms. Marvel would diminish her status.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Glad Genis is back but please put him in his costume from Avengers Forever. Loved the starfield effect on it.
    Me as well! That remains my favorite Captain Marvel costume. However, I read the Peter David series and never actually found Genis to be all that interesting. (especially after he started going mad)

I also really like the design of the Marh Vehl/Lawson Ultimate Universe version. I wonder if we'll get some version of that?