Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably trademark renewal and the desire to have a new name to go with the new costume?
    Undoubtedly. It's the partially the reason Carol was brought out of limbo and made a superhero back in the 70's in the first place.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I also feel like they wanted to elevate Carol to that Wonder Woman level of iconography, and maybe felt like being named Ms. Marvel would diminish her status.
    This. Marvel has never had a universally agreed upon female character that said "strongest, best, female character".
    You could ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, I know I worked a comic shop for 6 years through and after college.
    Rogue, Storm, Jean Grey, Jessica Drew/Spider-woman, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm...those I recall were solid responses at the shop. All worthy ladies in Marvel's pantheon but no one could agree they matched up in stature to Wonder Woman.

Marvel has made a very solid push the last 15yrs to position Carol as their companies answer to Wonder Woman. I think they've got a ways to go but they are making strides. The movies will help.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This. Marvel has never had a universally agreed upon female character that said "strongest, best, female character".
    You could ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, I know I worked a comic shop for 6 years through and after college.
    Rogue, Storm, Jean Grey, Jessica Drew/Spider-woman, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm...those I recall were solid responses at the shop. All worthy ladies in Marvel's pantheon but no one could agree they matched up in stature to Wonder Woman.

Marvel has made a very solid push the last 15yrs to position Carol as their companies answer to Wonder Woman. I think they've got a ways to go but they are making strides. The movies will help.
    Yeah, Marvel's lagging in that regard.

I mean, there are barely any super strong, heavy hitter women in Marvel that don't owe their powers or name to male characters, and I include Carol in that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

I mean, there are barely any super strong, heavy hitter women in Marvel that don't owe their powers or name to male characters, and I include Carol in that.
    Another reason I liked Monica. No links to other characters, male or otherwise. Her powers were also quite different from the general standard.

Peace

I actually thought Thundra had potential. Yes, she's sort of a Wonder Woman rip-off, but I always thought her wrist-chain was quite original and helped set her apart from other heroes.

Astonishing Member

Carol as Captain Marvel still seems like making fetch happen. This last of the Marvel's is a trope/trick Marvel uses when interest in Carol wanes to goose sales by getting Mar-vell, Monica and to a lesser extent Genis fans to goose sales. Not just for that Marvel comics knows there is a number of fans that want Mar-vell back and while they aren't inclined to give him to us they don't mind teasing and trolling to get a few bucks every couple of years. Sigh it must be that time again.

What should his personality be if he's not being driven mad with Cosmic Awareness? Should it revert back to his original Nicieza self, matching that cover? If he's back to stay, would you like him to check on Rick (the shock!)? They were friends beyond just being bonded - much more that Rick was with Mar-vell. Mar-vell always read of just tolerating Rick to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    What should his personality be if he's not being driven mad with Cosmic Awareness? Should it revert back to his original Nicieza self, matching that cover? If he's back to stay, would you like him to check on Rick (the shock!)? They were friends beyond just being bonded - much more that Rick was with Mar-vell. Mar-vell always read of just tolerating Rick to me.
    That seems an incredibly harsh reading. Mar-Vell and Rick became close friends, it's only in the early years where the fact that neither could be in the Earth dimension at the same time led to some tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    That seems an incredibly harsh reading. Mar-Vell and Rick became close friends, it's only in the early years where the fact that neither could be in the Earth dimension at the same time led to some tension.
    Yeah, I think Mar-vell's relation with Rick was much more of a father figure then plain friendship. That was more clear to me than ever in the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.
    And that also contrubuted to make the relationship between Rick and Genis so interesting.IMHO, one of the best, most layerd, complex and intresting relationships ever over at Marvel (and that is saying a lot). Aside from the great twist of Rick being the senior member of the partnership, the experienced mentor, in opposition to Genis' green (yet very powerful) rookie, there was also that hate-/hate relationship, for Rick actually being the son Genis' father knew and loved, while Rick saw Genis' as an entitled failure, the son of the great man who takes that for granted and fails to live up to his father's memory. Plus I loved the pranks Rick played on Genis, such as the manly nickname of Genny, or the battle cry. It was sort of "well, since you're gonna pull me from my life, and I'm gonna be floating around here, while you act as a hero, yeah, I'm gonna have some fun at your expense." It was great.

Peace

I'd love for the other "Marvels" to appear in this..... Martin Burns, Jean Grey, Vance Astro., David Banks, Sharon Ventura, Robert Grayson, Wendell Vaughn, etc....
    Last edited by danielsan52; 07-23-2021 at 08:55 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I actually thought Thundra had potential. Yes, she's sort of a Wonder Woman rip-off, but I always thought her wrist-chain was quite original and helped set her apart from other heroes.
    Thundra's got a cool weapon and visual no doubt, but her basic concept seems to lean into misunderstanding of feminism from the 70s ("Hates men, and has to prove superiority!").

Wonder how America's origin is gonna work out...

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I'd love for the other "Marvels" to appear in this..... Martin Burns, Jean Grey, Vance Astro., David Banks, Sharon Ventura, Robert Grayson, Wendell Vaughn, etc....
    Wendell? Isn't he Quasar, not a Marvel? Never heard of Burns or Banks, though I know Jean Grey was Marvel Girl (so was her daughter, Rachel Summers, who's now codenamed Prestige), Vance Astrovik was Marvel Boy before he was Justice, Sharon Ventura was the second Ms. Marvel, and Robert Grayson (now the Uranian) was the golden age Marvel Boy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Right around the same time a version of Phyla and Teddy are on the same cosmic team... If Kelly Thompson gives me the Marvel Family reunion I've been asking for, I'll never say anything bad about her ever!

Also, they need to bring Steck'ee back and confirm Genis as the bicon Fabian Nicieza intended him to be, so I can finally sleep well at night knowing all the Vell children are queer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wendell? Isn't he Quasar, not a Marvel? Never heard of Burns or Banks, though I know Jean Grey was Marvel Girl (so was her daughter, Rachel Summers, who's now codenamed Prestige), Vance Astrovik was Marvel Boy before he was Justice, Sharon Ventura was the second Ms. Marvel, and Robert Grayson (now the Uranian) was the golden age Marvel Boy.
    Wendell was Marvel Boy for a bit

Thundra's got a cool weapon and visual no doubt, but her basic concept seems to lean into misunderstanding of feminism from the 70s ("Hates men, and has to prove superiority!").

Wonder how America's origin is gonna work out...
    I always thought of Thundra as Wonder Woman with a twist. Same basic powerset (superstrong warrior woman), a chain instead of a lasso (both forms of bondage), one comes from an island of warrior women to spread the message of peace with Men's world, a diplomat if you will, the other comes from a world (future) of warrior woman as a threat of war against Men's world, a conquerer, if you will. Nonetheless, I've always liked a lot both characters, and wish Thundra was more often used.

Peace