Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

A five issue-mini seems fair though thank god they seem to be bringing back his streamlined second costume, I usually like retro campy looks but nothing about that original design worked from the 80s jumpsuit to the ponytail.
    Mixed on Peter David returning to do it, I did like both of his runs but I always felt Genis himself was a secondary character in his own book with the real focus being on Rick Jones and Marlo who while I both grew fond of feel will once again dominate the story. According to Marvel wiki this also be Marlo return in over a decade and what bad luck for Rick to finally escape being merged with someone in Immortal Hulk only to find himself and Genis merged again.
    Hope Phyla and Teddy will make appearance, were finally at point when all 3 of Mar-Vell kids are alive again lets have them finally all meet. Wonder if Genis will make note of Teddy forming a Kree-Skrull alliance it was after all a vision of that along with the Shi'ar that went on to dominate the universe that caused him crazy last time. This is a guy who killed his own infant son to protect the future I'm sure he'd willing to do the same to a newly met half-brother.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! Looking forward to the return of Peter David & ChrisCross!

And no matter what, I'll always love the Carlos Pacheco updated version (because, it's so cool):

The best thing about him for me is that look - everything about it is awesome to me.(while also dated, at least the Caesar cut isn't as bad as the pony-tail) I wasn't so crazy about how David handled him - the first series was so sitcom-y and while it was interesting, I was not a fan of him going nuts in the second series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The best thing about him for me is that look - everything about it is awesome to me.(while also dated, at least the Caesar cut isn't as bad as the pony-tail) I wasn't so crazy about how David handled him - the first series was so sitcom-y and while it was interesting, I was not a fan of him going nuts in the second series.
    As much as I enjoyed the Peter David run at the time, the biggest problem, IMO, is that it was more a Rick Jones book than it ever was a Genis book.

PAD barely developed any villains for Genis, the majority of drama focused around Rick, etc.

I'm torn. I'm glad that Genis is back but I could do without Rick Jones and Marlo. I feel that Genis has gotten to a point where he should be the sole star. I don't want to see Phyla and I don't want to seer Teddy either, It's only a five issue series. If this one works out and Genis gets another they can be in it. The only character I really want to see in this is Songbird but I have a feeling that I won't.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the Peter David run at the time, the biggest problem, IMO, is that it was more a Rick Jones book than it ever was a Genis book.

PAD barely developed any villains for Genis, the majority of drama focused around Rick, etc.
    Rick did tend to dominate a lot in the first two years of the book, but PAD was making a deliberate effort to correct that before the first volume ended--and then once the 2nd volume started and the "crazy Genis" era began, Genis was very much the driving force of the book with Rick mostly stuck along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Oh yes, please

The best thing about him for me is that look - everything about it is awesome to me.(while also dated, at least the Caesar cut isn't as bad as the pony-tail)
    OMG! Couldn't agree more!! Best makeover in comic book history (IMHO):

I wasn't so crazy about how David handled him - the first series was so sitcom-y and while it was interesting, I was not a fan of him going nuts in the second series.
    Yeah! Completely understandable, especially the resolution to the "Insanity War"

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm torn. I'm glad that Genis is back but I could do without Rick Jones and Marlo. I feel that Genis has gotten to a point where he should be the sole star. I don't want to see Phyla and I don't want to seer Teddy either, It's only a five issue series. If this one works out and Genis gets another they can be in it. The only character I really want to see in this is Songbird but I have a feeling that I won't.
    It's almost certainly set before he met Melissa, remember, he died during his Thunderbolts tenure.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This is awesome! I loved the Captain Marvel series, but it was the Rick/Genis interactions that I loved. When he started going insane, it wasn’t as fun. But I’ve been wanting this for a long time… *throws money at the screen*

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's almost certainly set before he met Melissa, remember, he died during his Thunderbolts tenure.
    No, he just came back (with his 90’s original look and missing memories) in the last few issues of the current Captain Marvel comic. Thank God he’s back to his much much much better look.

As you say, he has his original look in Captain Marvel. He doesn't on those covers, so I assumed it was set in the past.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Has his return been explained?

He was killed pretty good

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Agreed. I enjoyed the first series for it's tone, but it ran it's course with me, and I didn't enjoy that Genis wasn't the main character. Just over 60 issues between the two series, and I can't think of any major adversary for Genis. Nor much character growth. Yes the second series had him go mad, and while an interesting take for the character and series, I never enjoyed it.

I know PAD can create great stories, I'm just worried that instead of a new chance on growth, development and direction for Genis, it'll just be back to the old ways and be cute and funny for the moment, but quickly discarded for lack of any substance in his character.

I was hoping that we would be getting a fresh take with Genis, starting as his younger self and growing in a new path that would really help establish him as a great character for future stories. We'll have to see where this goes.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Someone better warn Monica Rambeau that she's going to need a new code name again after Genis-Vell takes yet another one of her names. If only Fred Hembeck were still around. I can see it now:

Genius-Ville: "What?!? What do you mean the name 'Captain Marvel' is taken? By whom? Carol Danvers!!? Oh, wait, I know her. She looks like me and she knew my sperm bank donor. Ok, she can keep the name. What happened to the Rambeau girl? She's Spectrum now? Ok, I'll use that name. I'm sure she won't mind. (And no one in editorial will even care, if she does.) Stand back, this is a job for... The Spectrum!"
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Someone better warn Monica Rambeau that she's going to need a new code name again after Genis-Vell takes yet another one of her names.
    What's with all the "Captains" anyway? They should have Monica promoted so she can switch to "Major Marvel" (It sounds somewhat silly, but is it any sillier than "captain?" We're just so used to hearing "Captain" in superhero names...)

What's with all the "Captains" anyway? They should have Monica promoted so she can switch to "Major Marvel" (It sounds somewhat silly, but is it any sillier than "captain?" We're just so used to hearing "Captain" in superhero names...)
    This reminds me of how they handled the Marvel Family codenames in Young Justice .