Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Anybody else catch the first issue? Wow, what a pleasure to read. Though it's been nearly 20 years since the end of PAD's Captain Marvel series, this issue picks up without missing a beat. The repartee between Rick and Genis, the "don't look behind you!" humor, the mixing of the cosmic with the mundane, it's all still there. Even better, there are nods to continuity, to the craziness that has happened to both Rick and Genis throughout these past two decades.

Highly recommended! Will pick up the second issue!
    Rick's character was the best part of the issue, as usual with PAD, although some parts even there grated (Rick was a fugitive, then dead, then a fugitive conjoined with another guy... and somehow, he still had an apartment with Marlo's hairbrush the whole time, complete with hair? I give *half* a pass because it's PAD's Rick, and the issue goes out of its way to point out how ridiculous the "normal" is to him, but still. Plus, given the whole A-Bomb/dead/resurrected through the Green Door thing just in the past couple of decades, it's a bit "wut" to attribute his problem in this issue all the way back to the original gamma bomb).

Genis' present-day part was okay.

The flashback... I really, really didn't like at all.

Also, some curious art choices - notably, "cosmic" Pacheco-design Genis missing his starfield all issue, even in flashback.
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 07-27-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Definitely my favorite book of the week! PAD tiptoes around and acknowledges the continuity and then slips the reader into familiar yet comfortable shoes. This was one of my most anticipated books every month back in the day… until he went insane. The dynamic between Genis and Rick was just gold. I hope this does well so we can have more! Also… EPIC COLLECTION.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Rick's character was the best part of the issue, as usual with PAD, although some parts even there grated (Rick was a fugitive, then dead, then a fugitive conjoined with another guy... and somehow, he still had an apartment with Marlo's hairbrush the whole time, complete with hair? I give *half* a pass because it's PAD's Rick, and the issue goes out of its way to point out how ridiculous the "normal" is to him, but still. Plus, given the whole A-Bomb/dead/resurrected through the Green Door thing just in the past couple of decades, it's a bit "wut" to attribute his problem in this issue all the way back to the original gamma bomb).

Genis' present-day part was okay.

The flashback... I really, really didn't like at all.

Also, some curious art choices - notably, "cosmic" Pacheco-design Genis missing his starfield all issue, even in flashback.
    I know, right?! Along with Genny needing The Nega-Bands,
    when he already has them in that one panel where he's suddenly experiencing some sort of painful episode.

Could it be an artistic error? Early stages of insanity finally setting in, or is someone playing a cosmic mind-game on poor ol' Genny?
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-19-2022 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Default November solicitation - GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL #5

GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL #5 (OF 5)

PETER DAVID (W) • JUANAN RAMÍREZ (A)
    Cover by MIKE MCKONE

TILL DEATH DO US PART!
    • Genis-Vell and Rick Jones have been through a lot together — can they survive a final face-to-face with Death?
    • You won't expect how this one ends!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Hope both of them survive the final issue.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

The only thing I was thinking while reading this was how cool it would be if Pad wrote the FF. He would be a great FF writer.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Carlos Pacheco (R.I.P.)

Ultimate Member

So he's back and bonded to Rick.

Thoughts?

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Thoughts?
    I'm up for another Genis series, as long as it's written in the style of the vein of...friggin' hell, what volume is that...five? Six?
    I don't want the looney tunes bonkers one where he's offing villains because they broke wind a couple of feet away from him.
    Joking aside, given Peter David's massive health problems, that little cliffhanger ending that offered a sliver of hope for a new ongoing was snuffed out.

Ultimate Member

PAD isn't the only possible writer for Genis, just sayin'.

I'm just shocked that he's back, given that Carol has at least two more movies coming out.

Thoughts?
    Hallelujah! Can't wait for more cosmic shenanigans with the Genny/Rick combo (LOL):

Agreed. If PAD is too busy, then I'd be willing to give Fabian Nicieza another chance...

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hallelujah! Can't wait for more cosmic shenanigans with the Genny/Rick combo (LOL):

Agreed. If PAD is too busy, then I'd be willing to give Fabian Nicieza another chance...

Oh yeah...we gotta get Genis and Songbird back together like they were suppose to before Joe Quesada canceled PaD's second Captain Marvel run to bring back Mar-Vell...which they then turned into a Skrull because Quesada walked everything about it really being Mar-Vell back.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Oh yeah...we gotta get Genis and Songbird back together like they were suppose to before Joe Quesada canceled PaD's second Captain Marvel run to bring back Mar-Vell...which they then turned into a Skrull because Quesada walked everything about it really being Mar-Vell back.
    I know, right?! Along with Thanos! Unless things have changed, I'd be interested in how he'd handle Marlo's new situation...

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Along with Thanos! Unless things have changed, I'd be interested in how he'd handle Marlo's new situation...

I am more worried about Marlo being called to The Living Tribunal's court, they are all going to take one look at her, scream human (especially the One Above All Celestial, given how his very first interaction with Thor went) and then start attacking her.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

I'm just shocked that he's back, given that Carol has at least two more movies coming out.
    Well, Genis definitely has a better look. Carol's CM costume never impressed me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Well, Genis definitely has a better look. Carol's CM costume never impressed me.
    I'd argue that he has greater pathos with the name, and it compliments his character better.

But on the flip side, Carol earned more for Marvel in one weekend than Genis ever has combined, lol