Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Default An interesting anecdote from David Goyer re:Man of Steel and Warners incompetenc

There's a new interview with David Goyer in the Hollywood Reporter that goes over his Career and new projects, and one particular anecdote he shares in the interview stands out and really illustrates just how clueless Warner Bros brass is about Superman. The following is a direct quote from the article.

One note I got was on Man of Steel, where the ending involves Superman utilizing the pod that he arrived in as a child in order to bring down General Zod’s ship. The note we got from the studio said, “You have to change that.” We asked why. They said, “Because if Superman uses that pod and it’s destroyed while saving the city, how is he ever going to get back home to Krypton?” There was just this long pause and we said, “Krypton blew up. You saw 30 minutes of it!”

Explains a lot regarding Superman on the big screen. They don’t even know the basics of his freaking origin! Warner Bros really couldn't give a crap beyond plastering that red "S" on merchandise.

Here's a link to the entire interview

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ew-1234983774/ - David S. Goyer Interview: Inside His Hits, Fights and Upcoming “Big-A** Swings”
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-22-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Maybe the guy who wrote that note was a huuuuuuge fan of Superman Returns and wanted another Superman-flies-to-Krypton scene...

Astonishing Member

WB, Singer, Snyder and Goyer seemed to be playing their own separate game, and it was called "Let's See How Clueless Can We Be At Making A Superman Movie" - and they all won.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    WB, Singer, Snyder and Goyer seemed to be playing their own separate game, and it was called "Let's See How Clueless Can We Be At Making A Superman Movie" - and they all won.
    Doesn't seem like Snyder or Goyer is clueless here. They at least remembered what happened earlier in the film.

Incredible Member

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were talking about a Superman Returns type of situation, because the alternative is mind-numbingly depressing.

And here I was waiting for the question of where they could incorporate a giant spider into the film.

Lmao yeah WB is so stupid it’s unbelievable. How can you know so little about your own IP, let alone an IP as big as Superman for God’s sake? Did none of them watch the Donner films? Really shows how important someone like Feige, a suit who is also a fan, is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

What the ****

Is this a joke?

I...I don't know what to say.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This reminds me of that story about the executive who wanted Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the reason why there are so many bad movies is because you have all these executives who have to justify their jobs so they just throw out whatever comes to mind in creative sessions without understanding the material they are working on. DC needs a Kevin Feige. I also heard that the CEO of Paramount was wondering why they weren't seeing any money from the Star Wars movies. So Warners isn't the only company that doesn't understand their own IP.
    Assassinate Putin!

Henry Cavill and others have advocated for a direct sequel to Man of Steel. I’ve heard rumors a sequel may be in the works with Cavill on board (Warner Bros. says none is in development). Does it feel like there is still unfinished business with that story?

I think so. I’m not involved in it right now. I’ve heard the same rumors you’ve heard, but I’m not plugged into it. I’ve stepped away almost entirely from comic book-related projects other than Sandman, which I don’t really categorize as part of the normal DC universe. And I’m doing a Batman podcast. I’ve actually done so many adaptations of comics that I needed a break. I didn’t want to get into a rut. That’s why I’m doing Foundation and some other films, like The Night House and Antlers (which are being released by Searchlight).
    Lmao they’re still teasing this? I guess WB is keeping the option open if Coates reboot flops, which is why it would be outside the main universe. Can’t see it happening though, and frankly I hope it doesn’t.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

On the Flash/Supergirl movie thread I wondered why WB keeps screwing up superhero movies so badly. This might be our first clue.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    There's a new interview with David Goyer in the Hollywood Reporter that goes over his Career and new projects, and one particular anecdote he shares in the interview stands out and really illustrates just how clueless Warner Bros brass is about Superman. The following is a direct quote from the article.

One note I got was on Man of Steel, where the ending involves Superman utilizing the pod that he arrived in as a child in order to bring down General Zod’s ship. The note we got from the studio said, “You have to change that.” We asked why. They said, “Because if Superman uses that pod and it’s destroyed while saving the city, how is he ever going to get back home to Krypton?” There was just this long pause and we said, “Krypton blew up. You saw 30 minutes of it!”

Explains a lot regarding Superman on the big screen. They don’t even know the basics of his freaking origin! Warner Bros really couldn't give a crap beyond plastering that red "S" on merchandise.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ew-1234983774/ - David S. Goyer Interview: Inside His Hits, Fights and Upcoming “Big-A** Swings”
    I'm assuming the exec in question was thinking about Superman Returns.

Because the only other possibility is that he or she simply does not know what literally every kid in the US and large parts of the globe knows (and have known for the last 80-plus years).

In which case, said exec should be replaced by...any 12 year old who's read a Superman comic or watched a Superman cartoon like, ever

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

I swear it’s like Warner Bros is trying to out do Sony in terms of being the most incompetent film studio. Because how do you not know something that literally the whole freaking world knows about the Superman mythos?! How?!
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Guess I'll be that guy. My sister is 26 and probably couldn't tell you a thing about Superman. Should I expect an unnamed and unknown WB exec to be a Superman expert? No. Does WB need their own Kevin Fiege? It could help, but I doubt it'll change much within WB. Richard Donner brought in a new screenwriter who did a major re-write of the 1978 film? WB executives don't care about their IP. Never have or will. Superman need creative minds who cares, not suits. It's worked with Batman. It's worked with Wonder Woman. Richard Donner proved it in 1978.