Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This sounds so absurd that I think we are missing some context here or Goyer is spinning something here.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Guess I'll be that guy. My sister is 26 and probably couldn't tell you a thing about Superman. Should I expect an unnamed and unknown WB exec to be a Superman expert?
    I think if you are involved in Superman movie development then you should know some basics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doesn't seem like Snyder or Goyer is clueless here. They at least remembered what happened earlier in the film.
    Sadly, they were also responsible for it. I rather hate movies that depend on characters acting uncharacteristically stupid to drive the plot. Logically, that ending could have happened twenty minutes into the movie, so you have to ask why Cavillman was SO very stupid. Which of course was because neither of them could be bothered to think through the implications of their own story. I have no doubt WB is very dysfunctional; that's been shown time after time, but Goyer and Snyder bear responsibility for their movies, (seriously, Goyer, Blade 3). Goyer should know better, he at least has done good work, (Dark City screenplay...but not the original story).

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sadly, they were also responsible for it.
    And?

I rather hate movies that depend on characters acting uncharacteristically stupid to drive the plot.
    "This character did not solve the plot immediately" is not the same as acting stupid.

Logically, that ending could have happened twenty minutes into the movie, so you have to ask why Cavillman was SO very stupid.
    It didn't happen because Superman isn't a psychopath who kills at first provocation. If this had happened, we'd still get people metaphorically calling for Snyder's head.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-23-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This sounds so absurd that I think we are missing some context here or Goyer is spinning something here.
    Sadly that's not the case. If you read the interview in full, its directly in response to a question by the writer of the interview. This person clearly was completely clueless about the property they were working on.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the exec in question may have mistakenly assumed or somehow thought that the film Goyer and Snyder were pitching was somehow a prequel to Superman Returns and referred to the events 9f that film,which is possible because the name of the proposed SR sequel/follow up was called Man Of Steel as well. Somehow I doubt that and this person was just plain ignorant about a property they were tasked with developing. I mean...a freaking quick internet search would have told them all they needed to know.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-23-2021 at 05:40 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Err... what ?

Like...

What ?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It didn't happen because Superman isn't a psychopath who kills at first provocation. If this had happened, we'd still get people metaphorically calling for Snyder's head.
    It is funny because this was one of the common complaints about MoS - Superman is a psychopath because he killed Zod. But now it turns out that Superman was stupid for not killing Zod 20 minutes earlier.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Jesus Christ, it's a miracle the IP hasn't crashed and burned much harder already if this is what it has to deal with.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if a WB exec ever asked Nolan and Goyer this question during the early script discussions on Batman Begins:

"Hey, if Rá's al Ghul burns down Wayne Manor, then where will Bruce's parents stay?"