Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Fair enough, though we have scaled for far more than just Dragonball(Nolan from Invincible comes to mind) I'd say the ff characters are comparable to their main counterparts for the most part, there are exceptions but they all seem to hold up to presentation(minus stuff like materia, and such)

I mean, we know Sora is fast, just look at him and Rikus fight with Xemnas(haven't played kh3,probably never will). I jus figured since Donald and Goofy aren't left in Soras dust they would be as fast as he is. If not, then that's fine.
    Well, we really don't have to scale that much for Nolan. He's got a solid speed feat to his name: He fights Red Rush, and while Nolan is clearly slower than the speedster, he's still fast enough the catch the guy out of his blitz. That tracks along with his presentation: he specifically explains that Viltrumites are speedy, and Viltrumites display some enhanced speed on a number of occasions. They also forget about it for the good of the plot, but that's comics.

If Donald had a feat of catching a speedster out of a blitz, and that speed were backed up by presentation and narrative, then Donald would get that level of speed. That's not really what happens here though.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Fair enough, though we have scaled for far more than just Dragonball(Nolan from Invincible comes to mind) I'd say the ff characters are comparable to their main counterparts for the most part, there are exceptions but they all seem to hold up to presentation(minus stuff like materia, and such)

I mean, we know Sora is fast, just look at him and Rikus fight with Xemnas(haven't played kh3,probably never will). I jus figured since Donald and Goofy aren't left in Soras dust they would be as fast as he is. If not, then that's fine.
    This is a bit of a misappropriation of how the term "scaling" should be used.

In DBZ for example, basically everyone and their grandmother explicitly has ambiguous superspeed as part of their default, quasi-universal, powerset; the question is to what degree. We use scaling off of other characters in terms of presentation or actual feats in the vein of "X moved faster than Y could react and Y has shown themselves to be Z fast, ergo X > Z," to figure that out.

Conversely, Donald and Goofy do not have the same powers as Sora, they do not have the narrative presentation of having any form superspeed and they aren't ever shown to be physical peers with Sora even by proxy of being in the same fights as him. The term scaling cannot really apply, especially when (based on my hazy memories KH2 feats) Donald and Goofy aren't present for Sora's best speed feats.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Well, we really don't have to scale that much for Nolan. He's got a solid speed feat to his name: He fights Red Rush, and while Nolan is clearly slower than the speedster, he's still fast enough the catch the guy out of his blitz. That tracks along with his presentation: he specifically explains that Viltrumites are speedy, and Viltrumites display some enhanced speed on a number of occasions. They also forget about it for the good of the plot, but that's comics.
    Sharp actually did a decent breakdown as to why that showing is worthless:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5631385

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5631775

If Donald had a feat of catching a speedster out of a blitz, and that speed were backed up by presentation and narrative, then Donald would get that level of speed. That's not really what happens here though.
    Could have sworn I saw a clip of Donald reacting to Terra in a kh3 cutscene on YouTube, but I'm probably wrong(I refuse to play kh3 due to their decision not to include any FF characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    This is a bit of a misappropriation of how the term "scaling" should be used.

In DBZ for example, basically everyone and their grandmother explicitly has ambiguous superspeed as part of their default, quasi-universal, powerset; the question is to what degree. We use scaling off of other characters in terms of presentation or actual feats in the vein of "X moved faster than Y could react and Y has shown themselves to be Z fast, ergo X > Z," to figure that out.

Conversely, Donald and Goofy do not have the same powers as Sora, they do not have the narrative presentation of having any form superspeed and they aren't ever shown to be physical peers with Sora even by proxy of being in the same fights as him. The term scaling cannot really apply, especially when (based on my hazy memories KH2 feats) Donald and Goofy aren't present for Sora's best speed feats.
    Fair enough. A better example on my part would probably to say Shoenen(sp?) series that have characters all use the same power source generally use a lot of scaling. But you're right, Sora generally seemed like he carried their party of 3 through a lot of their fights.
    Last edited by Cody; 07-30-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Sharp actually did a decent breakdown as to why that showing is worthless:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5631385

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5631775
    Yes, and I stand by that (not to derail). I don't know if comic book Omni-man has a better showing with regards to Red Rush, but the one feat in the TV was...bleah.

Not saying Omni-man hasn't got anything for speed - there is the other scene mentioned there that demonstrates he has SOME amount of enhanced speed, to say the least - but the Red Rush one looked like the usual speedster PIS.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate